How can I motivate myself when.....

Options
I am not vastly overweight - 15lbs less would be fine for a woman of my age and build
Losing the weight won't make a difference to my overall health
I'm already reasonably fit - I can swim 2.5k in less than 90 minutes
I already eat a balanced, healthy diet and cutting back means feeling hungry

I did it before but personal traumas meant I put a fair amount back on and I just can't seem to make it work again.

Any pearls of wisdom out there?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Since you are here I am assuming the 15 pounds do bother you. There is no need to be hungry or go to extremes. How about just trying to cut 250 calories a day? This would give you about a 1/2 loss per week and should be manageable.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I only ever need to lose about 10 lbs to get back comfortably in to my clothes. Right now I would still prefer to lose 6 more pounds but I'm having a terrible time cutting any calories, and like you eat healthy and work out (5-6 times a week). Today, after three weeks of zero weight loss, I've given up and am just going to focus on maintaining till my vacation in three weeks. I'm not uncomfortable in my bikini, just wanted a flatter stomach but I've given up on it happening. haha, I hope that doesn't get you down girl!!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat in December. I was about 15lbs heavier than I wanted to be, but it wasn't really stopping me from anything. I was still healthy, about a 23 BMI, active and ate somewhat healthy, just too much. What motivated me? The crazy amount of size 8 and 6 clothes being stored in my closet. The size I feel I should be wearing. Not the 12's and 10's that were currently hanging up.

Currently I'm wearing those stored 6's and 8's. And I'm down 17lbs from December. And I'm SO glad I just DID IT. I really had to get in the right frame of mind and really want it. I feel SO much better. I feel I look better. I feel it was worth the sacrifice. Honestly, I think you just have to want it. And if you don't want it, that's ok too.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    you don't need motivation, you need discipline.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    you don't need motivation, you need discipline.

In my opinion the two are inextricably linked.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Gail3260 wrote: »
    I am not vastly overweight - 15lbs less would be fine for a woman of my age and build
    Losing the weight won't make a difference to my overall health
    I'm already reasonably fit - I can swim 2.5k in less than 90 minutes
    I already eat a balanced, healthy diet and cutting back means feeling hungry

I did it before but personal traumas meant I put a fair amount back on and I just can't seem to make it work again.

Any pearls of wisdom out there?

I have to ask--why are you trying to lose weight? You've listed several reasons why you don't need to lose weight and the one reason to lose weight (your first mentioned being overweight) doesn't seem to important to you. So why do you want to lose weight? (I have my own thoughts on this but want to see your answer.)
  • Gail3260
    Options
    Thanks folks....

@Lizzy622 - it works for a couple of weeks (water!) and then nothing and after another couple of weeks I just lose the motivation to keep logging.

@MonkeyMel21 - no that doesn't get me down....I'm more concerned about my jeans than a bikini

@kristen6350 - thanks. that's about where I am....maybe this time I'll want it enough.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    You can't. While you have a "desire" to lose some weight, your desire isn't "burning" enough. Till it's lit on fire, you'll be content at where you are now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Gail3260
    Options
    [/quote]

I have to ask--why are you trying to lose weight? You've listed several reasons why you don't need to lose weight and the one reason to lose weight (your first mentioned being overweight) doesn't seem to important to you. So why do you want to lose weight? (I have my own thoughts on this but want to see your answer.)[/quote]

I joined MFP in August 2011 when I was most definitely overweight and unfit. Over a period of 18 months I lost 32lbs, got fitter and was within 3lbs of the target I had set myself. I felt good and looked better than I had since my kids were born.

So having done it once I would just like to get back to somewhere near where I was two years ago. It is very frustrating that what worked first time around isn't now.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    When you have so little to lose, it is not easy. You have to want it badly enough to put in the time logging, weighing and measuring. If you're not overly motivated to do it, and are happy where you are, then go with that.

15 pounds isn't going to change your quality of life that dramatically. If you're happy where you are, then don't bother.

If you aren't, then you need to start logging your food daily, eat less - move more.

There is no magical motivation pill. It comes from having a desire/goal, and then having the discipline to do what is necessary to achieve it.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I've given up being concerned about my jeans. No matter what they are uncomfortable. I hate clothes and would live naked or in pajamas if I could. Probably why I chose a profession where I can wear scrubs, lol!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    You've listed 4 excuses to not lose the weight. If you feel you are good enough where you are, you don't have the fire in your belly to do it now. And that's okay. When you are ready, you can do this. Having lost weight before, you know it isn't easy and nobody likes to do things that are hard or we'd all be skinny and happy 24-7.

I stopped 10 pounds short of my goal weight last August because I thought I wasn't able to lose anymore. The scale wasn't moving and I got discouraged, thinking maybe I'm just destined to weigh 155 and no less ever again. I wallowed in my self-pity/maintenance for 5 months and then realized I had unfinished business. I'd gained 3 pounds back and that was a wake-up call. So now I'm back on the wagon and incorporating weights into my work outs. Down 5 pounds in 2 months. It's a sacrifice of time and energy but it's something I know needs to be done.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess despite listing the reasons you don't need to lose weight, the fact your here at all implies you are bothered by it.

I'm just unsure if you want us to justify you not losing weight or push you to lose weight?

Either way you don't sound like your in the best place to start an epic diet and fitness plan but it sounds like it does bother you that your a few pounds over where you want to be.

If your fairly okay with where you are no need to go all out and into full blown diet mode, just make little changes like 10mins extra on cardio or turn down that extra snack each day.
    Eventually the tiny changes will either help slowly drop the extra weigt or you'll feel so good being proactive about it you'll want to get back to "diet mode".