Sugar free and aspertame free soda pop

Options
Looking for my wife. She's a soda pop addict. Only MFP has opened her eyes to the sugar in it. So she has me hunting for sugar free (or at least reduced sugar) and aspartame free soda. All my research points to only one, Diet Rite. I personally don't really care for pop, but she does, so I'm trying to be the good husband.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi is supposed to be switching over to Splenda in August.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Pepsi is getting rid of aspartame in Diet Pepsi.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law drinks Zevia. It's zero calories with no artificial sweeteners and comes in over ten flavors. You can purchase it at Wal-Mart and lots of other major grocery retailers. Happy Wife = Happy Life. Good Luck ;)
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I generally don't mind artificial sweetners, but to me they all seem to leave a horrid bitter aftertaste in soda ...perhaps it interacts with the carbonation somehow? I've just about given up on finding a 'good' diet soda, and have switched to trying to find the least awful. Which so far, for me, has been Diet Mtn Dew. I'm not even a fan of regular Dew ...

Before I started changing my habits I was like a 3+liter/day Dr. Pepper fiend ....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,614 Member
    Options
    No way! That sucks. I've drank Diet Pepsi for over 25 years now and now they are changing the formula due to lower sales. Yes I know that profit comes first, but changing sweeteners for diet sodas hasn't profited them any more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Rexakate
    Rexakate Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The Coca Cola life is a nice option. It is sweetened with stevia and cane sugar. I prefer it to normal coke.
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I like Zevia. They have a whole line so you can get cola, caffiene free cola, ginger ale, dr pepper style etc...I have found it at Whole Foods but its cheaper when on sale at my local Stop n Shop(in natural foods section)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I like seltzer water. It has the fiz with no nasty aftertaste.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Has she tried flavored sparkling water or flavored seltzer? It definitely doesn't taste like soda, but it does give you the fizz and some taste. Back when I thought diet soda was evil I lived off the stuff. Now I live off coke zero
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Sodastream diet syrups are made with Splenda, or the non diet versions are half sugar, half Splenda.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I like seltzer water. It has the fiz with no nasty aftertaste.

Me, too. If I want an extra zing, I add a lemon or lime wedge...

I used to live on diet coke, but it seems too sweet to me now...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    If you want to go the no sweetener route, there are always flavored seltzers. They're very refreshing and they have a good fizz.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I like Blue Sky. I used to be a cola addict, and I find theirs is very close to the big name brands. I've tried Zevia and it's good but it's different. If you're looking to stay as close to the big brands, I'd go for Blue Sky first.
  • lisamyershb
    lisamyershb Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I dine out, I always order selzer water with lemon or lime. Great alternative and satisfying. :)
  • TraceyLynn089
    TraceyLynn089 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am type 1 diabetic and my go to diet pops are Diet Dr Pepper and Coke Zero. I find that their tastes are the best when compared to the regular versions (I actually like diet Dr pepper better than the original. Plus, I just googled and it is aspartame free!!!!...Coke Zero however is not.) I only drink a pop maybe once a week as a "cheat" drink because diet pop isn't exactly healthy either.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Look for soda with Stevia for the sweetener. My wife bought some at the local food co-op. Stevia is all natural and zero calories.
  • nstock
    nstock Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It's not sugar free, but Pepsi Next is an option to start? It's 30% less sugar than regular Pepsi and adds Stevia instead of Aspertame. I've tried it, and it's decent... you can definitely taste the difference though.
  • mlindsey441
    mlindsey441 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Zevia is great -- I'm drinking a can of Grape right now. I don't like all of the flavors, so even if you don't like the first one try, don't assume you don't like it.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Looking for my wife. She's a soda pop addict. Only MFP has opened her eyes to the sugar in it. So she has me hunting for sugar free (or at least reduced sugar) and aspartame free soda. All my research points to only one, Diet Rite. I personally don't really care for pop, but she does, so I'm trying to be the good husband.

Didn't read any replies, just tossing my two cents in. I use my Soda Stream, keep cold water in the fridge, fill up one of the bottles when I want one (with the cold water - yes, you can store them in the fridge WITH water in them too). Charge it up once (less carbonation or twice for more) and add a bit of fruit juice (my fave is cran-grape) or squirts of lemon or lime juice. Got me off of sodas altogether.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Dr. Pepper 10. It has sugar, but only a little. Only 10 calories for 12oz can. Tastes better than diet Dr. Pepper.