USDA MyPlate

Options
Do you think it will be easy to maintain if you follow the MyPlate rule for 3 meals a day?

That is: 1/2 your plate should be fruit/veg, 1/4 protein and the remaining 1/4 starch?

Replies

• Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I should also add, this is if you are considering not counting in maintenance. Do you think it would be a good framework?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Lots of people would also benefit from simply using a smaller plate. :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Yep. I think the usda myplate is a good start. It would help to have a game plan for snacks, but if doing 3 squares a day is preferred, I think ito a good idea.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I think that it could be a great meal plan for the most part.

However...

I think that it isn't so simple. My vegetable dishes can at times be fairly high calorie dense. At times with my cooking...I could do the MyPlate and still be way over in calories.

If you are just doing steamed...baked...then I think it would work without doing all the measuring and calculating. For me however...I can't stand just "steamed" vegetables.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Lots of people would also benefit from simply using a smaller plate. :)

I use salad plates for the most part. You can pack a lot of calories on those smaller plates. Picture a 8" plate stacked 8" high! LOL

• Leana088
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I think that it could be a great meal plan for the most part.

However...

I think that it isn't so simple. My vegetable dishes can at times be fairly high calorie dense. At times with my cooking...I could do the MyPlate and still be way over in calories.

If you are just doing steamed...baked...then I think it would work without doing all the measuring and calculating. For me however...I can't stand just "steamed" vegetables.

They're great with cheese and barbeque seasoning. :tongue:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't know. 1/4 plate of meat is a LOT of meat. And 1/4 plate of starch is a lot of starch too...
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    My doctor advocates this plan. It does however presume that you are eating plain/lean options without much fat, sugar, etc. included. It's too vague for me because my calorie allotment is too small, as appealing as it sounds at the outset. It *is* useful for if you are at someone else's house, a restaurant, etc and you have no way of gauging calories accurately. You can use this as a guideline to get you through that particular situation.
  • Leana088
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't know. 1/4 plate of meat is a LOT of meat. And 1/4 plate of starch is a lot of starch too...

Not on my plate, 1/4 starch is one potato on mine. And meat is 100 grams. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Depends on the size of the plate and your TDEE, and caloric content of the food on said plate.

actually plate size doesn't matter, just the amount of calories on the plate.

If you don't want to count then you will have to test it out... eat like that for 3-4 weeks, weigh yourself and adjust plate size or food options accordingly
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Do you think it will be easy to maintain if you follow the MyPlate rule for 3 meals a day?

That is: 1/2 your plate should be fruit/veg, 1/4 protein and the remaining 1/4 starch?

I've actually been exploring the usda's calorie tracking site today (Super Tracker), which is built around the MyPlate idea. It was free to sign up and I might use it as an MFP alternative if things get weird with the whole premium upgrade thing going on right now. It's kind of a neat site-you might be interested in checking it out :)

eta:-as for the three meals a day thing, that's a preference thing. I usually only eat two meals a day (break my daily fast at around 11am with my biggest meal of the day and then eat a smaller meal at around 5pm). If you like eating in a 3-meal format than sure, go for it. But, that in itself won't help/hinder you in maintenance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think if you took the population as a whole, most would benefit from starting with My Plate...and really, that's pretty much what I do except I eat more protein.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think that people who have no food issues or less serious food issues might be able to maintain a normal weight simply by following the MyPlate guidelines and not counting anything. I doubt this would work for me, however, since I tend to think food portions are quite a bit smaller than they actually are when I weigh them.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Weight loss boils down to CICO (calories in < calories out). I would think if you're using whole ingredients without a lot of extras, this would probably work. However, if you're adding in butter, sugar, dairy fats, etc, it would be very easy to go over your daily calorie allotment. The only foolproof way to know exactly what you're taking in is by weighing and logging everything separately.

Plus, it's been shown time and time again that humans are, surprisingly, exceptionally bad at estimating.
  • Leana088
    Options
    I think that people who have no food issues or less serious food issues might be able to maintain a normal weight simply by following the MyPlate guidelines and not counting anything. I doubt this would work for me, however, since I tend to think food portions are quite a bit smaller than they actually are when I weigh them.

I struggle with this too! When I started my weight loss I always underestimated. Now that I've lost it, I overestimate, the opposite problem. I'd think I'm eating 200g chicken when I'm really eating 80g. :confused:
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    We recently switched our dinnerware set from a fairly large stoneware one to a more kid-friendly Corelle set, and it's made a big difference in choosing appropriate serving sizes. With the old set, a plateful of spaghetti was about 3lbs worth, and a bowl full of Cheerios would be 3 cups with room to spare.

Being content with 4oz of meat on a plate is a lot easier if there's not a whole bunch of empty space all around it.
  • Leana088
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »
    We recently switched our dinnerware set from a fairly large stoneware one to a more kid-friendly Corelle set, and it's made a big difference in choosing appropriate serving sizes. With the old set, a plateful of spaghetti was about 3lbs worth, and a bowl full of Cheerios would be 3 cups with room to spare.

Being content with 4oz of meat on a plate is a lot easier if there's not a whole bunch of empty space all around it.

I also do this. I've found about the perfect size for myself. Not too much and not too little. Because these days if I estimate I eat too little instead of too much. And then I wonder why I'm hungry again an hour after eating. Guess I'm not quitting weighing food soon.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »

Well that's pretty much how I've been eating in maintenance. Has worked well for me for over 2 years.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but for me personally I don't think it would be a realistic goal. I'd either feel too deprived or reach for a BIG plate... they never specified the plate size so my little twisted mind would find a way around it until I ate myself back to my original weight. I need to be held more accountable than that :x
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    For me it's a good basic template. It's similar to how I lost before and maintained for years without counting, and similar to how I eat now (I count, but to keep track, not to figure out how much to eat).

Obviously you could cheat the system if you wanted to.

I do it for dinner, mostly, and sometimes for lunch, but I also sometimes replace starch with fruit or dairy for at least one meal. I have a couple breakfast alternatives that I rotate, and my main one doesn't really fit the pattern (no starch--eggs, veggies, dairy, and fruit instead).