Chomping down fruit & veg.... not reaching my cal goal.

Options
Hello everybody,

I was sat pondering to myself about a little issue I have been having recently and then I thought "oh, i'll just nip on the message boards to see if anyone has some advice."

Basically, i've noticed that my skin has been looking rather dry recently and I have been getting quite a few breakouts so I decided that I would give my body a little detox because this usually gets my skin looking significantly better.

Whenever I detox, I just eat tons of fruit, veg and salad with a bit fish thrown in for good measure. This may be good for the body but it isn't good for my calorie intake. My calorie goal is 1200 calories per day but when i'm in 'detox mode' , I am lucky if I hit 800 calories. It is even lower when I exercise.

I know that by eating too few calories you can inhibit your weight loss and so I was just wondering whether anyone had any tips to help me bulk out my calorie intake whilst still allowing me to eat clean wholesome foods. I really want to steer clear of processed foods and sugar for a while.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Nuts, boiled eggs, some cheese...I'm trying to think of things you can put on your salads...avocadoes, beans...
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    All natural peanut butter. I personally like smart balance all natural or almond butter works. It's easy to eat with celery and the calories will help you with your goal. Fat in it will be used more for energy given your cal intake without packing on any extra pounds. Hope this helps.
  • Vixxta
    Vixxta Posts: 31
    Options
    A handful of your favorite nut is a beautiful thing. Walnuts are a great source of omega-3's. Almonds are full of calcium. Nuts supply trace minerals...really good stuff.
  • dstsur5or
    dstsur5or Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    All natural peanut butter. I personally like smart balance all natural or almond butter works. It's easy to eat with celery and the calories will help you with your goal. Fat in it will be used more for energy given your cal intake without packing on any extra pounds. Hope this helps.

I totally agree w/ alleyag! I have done the same thing before and I used an all natural peanut butter to help me with calorie intake.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    try adding some 'good fats' into your diet too. Use olive oil and minced garlic to saute vegetables. My mother found out the hard way that fats ARE a necessary part of our body's nutrient requirements. Just use healthier options.
  • elinsofie
    elinsofie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Make an olive oil (extra virgin) dressing for you salad. That should easily add the calories you need :)
  • sandrichelle
    Options
    Yes...nuts, dried fruits and my personal favorite, chickpeas can help reach your calorie goal and all good cals!!
  • Inkchick
    Inkchick Posts: 31
    Options
    I also suggest peanut or almond butter - definitely not not the processed sugary kind ;) You need to add some good fat and good protein to keep your engine burning fuel and get back to the 1200 calorie threshold. I like a bit of avocado or olive oil for good fats. You could also add a good quality protein beverage - i love soy based protein powders and add your fruit to that mixed in a blender with some ice for a tasty healthy protein/calorie boost.
  • tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    Maybe try drinking a glass of fruit juice. Still all natural, but has more calories than a piece of fruit.
  • fitnesspal5
    fitnesspal5 Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I've made a note of them and I will be buying them all on my next food shop! :)