Just read this, What do you think?

Options
PeachyKeene
PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
I just read that it burns 30% of the calories you eat, to digest protein - 12% calories for complex carbs - 7% simple carbs.

So basically if I eat a 4 oz chicken breast at 180 calories, once my body has digested it, I have only 126 calories left.

Or if I choose to eat a little debbie at 180 calories, after digestion, I have 166 calories left.

So basically counting calories is a great way to lose the weight, but if you want the max out of your weight loss, pick the protein.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• hairspray74
    hairspray74 Posts: 93
    Options
    makes sense to me
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Seems like too much thinking to me!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options

me too..
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    Makes total sence!!!!!
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    it takes more energy for the body to digest protein and makes you more satisfied but dont' skip cards completley poick the healthier ones high fiber, whole grains, your brain needs them :)
  • Loxytroy
    Loxytroy Posts: 2
    Options
    So the Atkins diet then?
  • boothe1978
    boothe1978 Posts: 1
    Options
    Think I'll have a STEAK for dinner tonight, and skip the bread!!!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    While it's true that some foods take more effort and time for your body to break down, I think whatever you read may be overstating the case a bit. I highly doubt you're losing a third of protein calories through digestion. We're more likely talking about MARGINAL differences.

It's a good idea to try to get around a gram of protein per day per pound of bodyweight if you are working out as part of your plan. You'll help to preserve as much muscle as possible while losing weight and feel fuller, longer. But if you ate protein exclusively, you'd be missing many nutrients and end up manourished.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    One of my mfp friends told me it takes 8 calories to heat a glass of ice cold water to body temp too - drink it cold :laugh:
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    it takes more energy for the body to digest protein and makes you more satisfied but dont' skip cards completley poick the healthier ones high fiber, whole grains, your brain needs them :)

You are so right! Also don't skip on the veggies and fruits
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options

I totally agree... I spend enough time converting measurements, and doing other mathmathical problems during the day. My brain may explode if I have to solve one more math problem just to eat a meal...:explode: :explode:
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    This is true. Protein is more thermogenic than carbs or fat.

Studies have shown that people who eat more protein in their diet weigh less than people who don't.

A good ratio to shoot for is 40/30/30; 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fats.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I just read that it burns 30% of the calories you eat, to digest protein - 12% calories for complex carbs - 7% simple carbs.

That sounds really high. If that were the case, someone eating a high protein/low carb diet would basically be in "starvation mode" if they didn't account for the 30% loss of calories from digestion. I would say there would be a marginal difference between digesting protein and carbs but not enough to make me change the way I eat based on that fact alone. Now there are other reasons people eat a higher protein diet, but this isn't one of them.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I don't know about the numbers exactly, but yes protein has a higher Thermic Effect of Food (TEF) which will burn more calories than others.
  • djamador
    djamador Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Way toooooo much thinking right now...............
  • PeachyKeene
    Options
    So the Atkins diet then?

The Dukan Diet, it is just another form I think. But, my doctor and nutritionist recommended it to me.
  • mommiedawn
    mommiedawn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes you are right and the amount you say for protein is correct.

Here is a very in depth explanation if you are interested: http://jillian.blogcashbiz.com/diet/how-protein-affects-thermogenesis-and-metabolism.html
  • mommiedawn
    mommiedawn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Also here is the biggest reason I am aiming for understanding protein lately:

A recent study at Maastricht University, Netherlands, showed greater larger thermogenesis and fat burning after consuming protein versus carbohydrate may be related to the glucagon response that is induced by protein, but not by carbohydrates; protein-induced thermogenesis and glucagon response are not influenced by a carbohydrate pre- or post load.4 The researchers also reported protein ingestion can fully prevent the plasma glucose increase associated with a carbohydrate when carbohydrates are ingested after proteins.

pasted from: http://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/articles/2008/04/thermogenic-fat-burners-for-weight-loss.aspx
  • PeachyKeene
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Actually, my doctor and nutritionist recommended a very high pure protein diet because of some health issues I have.

It is mostly Lean protein, non-fat dairy, oat brain for the first week, then you alternate days like the first week with the days adding veggies. Not completely carb free, but it does say you don't have to count calories since your it takes you body so many to digest the protein. But, I was still wandering could I do both, and get the max out of my weight loss diet. I actually started Saturday and have lost 9 pounds in 6 days. IDK what it is. I am completely satisfied as far as hunger is concerned.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me something similar. I don't know the exact numbers, but the point is that you're so much better off to choose complex foods that take work to digest. She also told me that if I am going to eat something crappy, eat it with something that takes work to digest. I don't remember exactly how she explained it, but it's supposed to help counter act how quickly/simply the crap gets through. I wish I had a better memory of the details - I just hung onto the main idea :-)

There's not really thinking involved here. Just take the main idea and eat the complex stuff instead of the simple stuff. It's not like you get to "not count" those calories... You still count them. You just get far more benefit out of them.