confused about running?

Options
danimarieco
danimarieco Posts: 1 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all!
I basically created an account just for this haha because I was getting really frustrated digging around online for the answers to my questions.
When I was doing some research for some encouragement I only found myself dissapointed...and discouraged. At the moment I am running about 30 to 35 minutes a day with a rest day in between here and there as my body needs. I run on trails with steep inclines here and there as well. Also when I am home later in the day or on a rest day I lift with a 15lb weight bar to build some lean muscle.

Anyway, I stumbled upon a couple different forums where people were looking for suggestions and mentioned that they run moderately, 30 to 40 minutes and people who replied said that it would do nothing for their body? People were saying to quit running and just lift if you want to make a difference in your body. I found myself massively discouraged... as if running is completely pointless. I'm fairly thin, 155lbs at 5'11 and mostly need to tone up the jiggly bits. I like that running makes me feel good in general but part of that was thinking it was gonna help my body change too. Now I feel like everything I read says it's not even worth the effort? So I'm just confused... am I wasting my time running or what?

I really hope not, but I feel in this mindset it's gonna put me out of running altogether when I finally got back into it.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Running is awesome. People that are discouraging you from doing it are stupid and should not be listened to.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    I basically created an account just for this haha because I was getting really frustrated digging around online for the answers to my questions.
    When I was doing some research for some encouragement I only found myself dissapointed...and discouraged. At the moment I am running about 30 to 35 minutes a day with a rest day in between here and there as my body needs. I run on trails with steep inclines here and there as well. Also when I am home later in the day or on a rest day I lift with a 15lb weight bar to build some lean muscle.

Anyway, I stumbled upon a couple different forums where people were looking for suggestions and mentioned that they run moderately, 30 to 40 minutes and people who replied said that it would do nothing for their body? People were saying to quit running and just lift if you want to make a difference in your body. I found myself massively discouraged... as if running is completely pointless. I'm fairly thin, 155lbs at 5'11 and mostly need to tone up the jiggly bits. I like that running makes me feel good in general but part of that was thinking it was gonna help my body change too. Now I feel like everything I read says it's not even worth the effort? So I'm just confused... am I wasting my time running or what?

I really hope not, but I feel in this mindset it's gonna put me out of running altogether when I finally got back into it.

Thanks in advance!

Generally, cardio/running is for endurance, and weightlifting is for building muscle/getting stronger.

It is going to depend on what your goals are.

However, "toning" is a myth. What you can do is lose fat by losing weight, and make the muscle you already have underneath be more noticeable.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Running improves cardiovascular health, lifting weights improves strength and develops muscle mass. And before anyone jumps on me, yes, there is a minor amount of cross over between the two, but primarily that is what you get. So, you set your goals and do what fits those goals (and there’s no reason it can’t be both).

If you like the program you’re on and it is meeting your goals, then stick with it. You said the key thing “I like that running makes me feel good...” That alone is enough reason to keep doing it.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The American Heart Association recommends 150 minutes/week of moderate cardio exercise. This can be accomplished however you want, walking, jogging, cycling, etc. If you're doing very "intense" cardio you can knock it down to closer to 75/week.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/FitnessBasics/American-Heart-Association-Recommendations-for-Physical-Activity-in-Adults_UCM_307976_Article.jsp

You'll see it also recommends moderate to high intensity weight training/resistance work for additional health benefits.

The people telling you to quit running are "right" in the sense that if you want to gain muscle mass, the majority of it will be accomplished through weight training, not running. However, that does negate the importance of regular cardio activity. If you enjoy running, do it! Or go for long walks, or swim, or hike, or whatever else you enjoy to get your minutes in. Hell my mom probably gets all of hers in every week gardening, hah.

Trying to "lose flab" is just a way of saying you need to lower your body fat %...you can do this through diet, exercise, or both, as long as you're netting a decifit.

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Quit reading *kitten* on the internet.
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like running and it burns calories so I do it. I also lift to gain lean muscle and look good when I am done losing. But until I get closer to goal I will honestly think about adding more cardio before I add a longer lift routine because I burn more calories running so that is where I will spend the time for the most part to get the larger response at least until I get closer to mini goal, then I might go longer heavier etc.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I run because I like it; I do road races because it inspires me to finish them. When I run, I think of it as practice for my next race. I don't run to lose weight or tone or whatever. I do lift, because I want strong muscles to support me. I also swim and bike, again because I like to. Sometimes it's just a change in the mindset that makes all the difference. If I feel I need to lose body fat, I pay attention in the kitchen.