Help me please guys! :)

Options

Replies

• kg00105
    kg00105 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I thought the same. Will swimming (alongside weights) help tone/build a little bit of muscle? I find it really difficult to eat anywhere near the required amount, I'm just starting to cook tonight but I could easily skip dinner if I wanted to, leaving me at around 600 calories. There must be something wrong with me!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you that "something is wrong with you" because I am still not sure what the real issues here are.

In your last post above you stated you can't eat anywhere the recommended calories yet you posted a list of foods you eat to consume 1200 calories...

I am confused as to what the real problem or issue is here...
  • kg00105
    Options
    What I mean is, I can meet what myfitnesspal tells me but I cannot manage the 1800+ as reccomended by some of you
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    kg00105 wrote: »
    What I mean is, I can meet what myfitnesspal tells me but I cannot manage the 1800+ as reccomended by some of you

Do you weigh your food or just estimate it?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If you truly can't eat 1,800 calories (no matter what combination of food it is) at your height and weight, then something may be wrong. Is the block physical or mental?
  • kg00105
    Options
    I can easily eat 1800 calories if I'm eating junk, but I've really enjoyed eating healthily and it takes quite a lot of food to get enough calories! I dont want to resort to junk for the sake of it as my diet has improved my energy levels, skin, happiness etc.

The only thing I'm not satisfied with is my body. It's not terrible, but definite room for improvement. So is it impossible to lose love handels without lifting weights?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I can easily eat 1800 calories if I'm eating junk, but I've really enjoyed eating healthily and it takes quite a lot of food to get enough calories! I dont want to resort to junk for the sake of it as my diet has improved my energy levels, skin, happiness etc.

The only thing I'm not satisfied with is my body. It's not terrible, but definite room for improvement. So is it impossible to lose love handels without lifting weights?

I have no idea what you define as junk, but there are lots of calorie-dense foods that probably fit whatever your food requirements are. And if you have defined all calorie-dense foods as junk, then that's probably an issue you should look at.

Nobody is telling you to "resort" to junk.
  • mrsaha
    mrsaha Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What are the junk foods that you used to eat before?
    I see that you are eating low fat turkey now, low fat dressing, low fat cheese, chicken breast. If you want to eat more calories but are having a hard time with eating the higher volumes of foods, then eat full fat, other cuts of meat. What happened to eating grains in your diet? If you are going the low carb route, then you should not be worrying about cutting fat as well. That is my two cents.
    And strength training is always a good idea. Cutting calories has helped you to lose weight. But if you want to build muscle you will have to fuel your body.
    I am only beginning on my journey of weight training, so I hope others can chime in and give you some more help on both a weight lifting program and the proper diet to fuel those efforts.
  • kg00105
    Options
    mrsaha wrote: »
    What are the junk foods that you used to eat before?
    I see that you are eating low fat turkey now, low fat dressing, low fat cheese, chicken breast. If you want to eat more calories but are having a hard time with eating the higher volumes of foods, then eat full fat, other cuts of meat. What happened to eating grains in your diet? If you are going the low carb route, then you should not be worrying about cutting fat as well. That is my two cents.
    And strength training is always a good idea. Cutting calories has helped you to lose weight. But if you want to build muscle you will have to fuel your body.
    I am only beginning on my journey of weight training, so I hope others can chime in and give you some more help on both a weight lifting program and the proper diet to fuel those efforts.

Thank you for such a great answer. Much appreciated. Just out of interest, don't worry if you don't know, but say I ate 2200 calories and 100g of protein, or 1400 calories with 100g protein, would there be any difference in the way I hold onto muscle?

Is it the calories which are important, or the protein?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Man, I think I read this title differently than it was meant.
  • Emilia777
    edited April 2015
    Options

Sure it’s not. If you want to look like this
    10-percent-body-fat-male-pictures1.jpg

In my personal opinion, it is more important to strive to be healthy and strong than thin. You may feel differently.

Lift weights. Eat more. I don’t like the idea of categorizing food as junk. Calorie-dense nutritious food examples: avocado, nuts, full fat yogurt, nut butters, etc.
  • Emilia777
    edited April 2015
    Options

:flushed::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, a comma can make all the difference.
  • kg00105
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

Hahaha!!! Good point!
  • kg00105
    Options

Sure it’s not. If you want to look like this
    10-percent-body-fat-male-pictures1.jpg

In my personal opinion, it is more important to strive to be healthy and strong than thin. You may feel differently.

Lift weights. Eat more. I don’t like the idea of categorizing food as junk. Calorie-dense nutritious foods are avocado, nuts, full fat yogurt, nut butters, etc.

I agree, thank you! I was just making sure eating healthily wasn't completely in vain! How often would you reccomend to do cardio and weight training? Hoping to combine weights with swimming, tennis and cycling!
  • Reg4502
    Reg4502 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It takes time, just don't give up!
  • kg00105
    Options
    Reg4502 wrote: »
    It takes time, just don't give up!

• Emilia777
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I personally don’t focus on “healthy eating” as much as hitting my targets: I am eating at a deficit to lose weight, while lifting weights to maintain lean body mass and gain strength. I also eat loads of protein because it helps with muscle repair and maintenance, as I understand it. I’d suggest you use either IIFYM or Scooby’s calculators to get an idea of caloric and protein/carb intakes depending on your goals.

For example, I aim for 1350 calories and 130g protein. What I eat to make this happen doesn’t really matter to me.

In terms of strength training and cardio, I like weight workouts 3 x week and cardio 2-3 times or less, but this is personal preference. I recommend you read up on strength training programs and go from there. I don’t know much about the other ones, but there’s some info on Starting Strength on the bodybuilding forum here.

You obviously have the dedication to reach your fitness goals, which is awesome and the hardest part for most people. I think it might be a good idea for you to take the time to do some reading through the resources people have suggested. Build a plan for yourself and, if you’re unsure about it, come back and ask for feedback on it.

Edit: Finally, I hope you can find a better outlook and a positive way to approach this: I know where you’re coming from, as I was overweight through most my school years and that didn’t make things easy, but you have to be strong and ignore people who are jerks. Do this for your health, strength, and wellbeing. Best of luck!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Thank you for such a great answer. Much appreciated. Just out of interest, don't worry if you don't know, but say I ate 2200 calories and 100g of protein, or 1400 calories with 100g protein, would there be any difference in the way I hold onto muscle?
    Is it the calories which are important, or the protein?

Re: calorically and nutritionally dense foods: nuts and seeds: almonds, pumpkin seeds... 50g of either is between 260 and 280 Cal... A slice of toast with two tablespoons of peanut butter another 270-300 Cal.
    Problem solved!

Re: calories and protein. BOTH.

The smaller your caloric deficit the less of a chance to lose muscle mass.

If you have a lot of protein floating around the better the chance you of protecting your existing muscle mass in a deficit. Lifting weights helps with that too.

If you want to build muscle mass you will need a slight surplus (or at the very least both not a deficit and some "free" fat), sufficient protein in that surplus, and an exercise stimulus.
  • kg00105
    Options

Hahaha!!! Good point!
    I personally don’t focus on “healthy eating” as much as hitting my targets: I am eating at a deficit to lose weight, while lifting weights to maintain lean body mass and gain strength. I also eat loads of protein because it helps with muscle repair and maintenance, as I understand it. I’d suggest you use either IIFYM or Scooby’s calculators to get an idea of caloric and protein/carb intakes depending on your goals.

For example, I aim for 1350 calories and 130g protein. What I eat to make this happen doesn’t really matter to me.

In terms of strength training and cardio, I like weight workouts 3 x week and cardio 2-3 times or less, but this is personal preference. I recommend you read up on strength training programs and go from there. I don’t know much about the other ones, but there’s some info on Starting Strength on the bodybuilding forum here.

You obviously have the dedication to reach your fitness goals, which is awesome and the hardest part for most people. I think it might be a good idea for you to take the time to do some reading through the resources people have suggested. Build a plan for yourself and, if you’re unsure about it, come back and ask for feedback on it.

Thank you so much. Makes me feel really motivated to achieve my goals! I'll let you know if I have any more questions but thanks for all your help!

• Emilia777
    Options
    Yay for reaching goals! Good luck :smile: