Strength training everyday

Options
Is it okay to do it every day instead of taking a days rest in between?

Cardio has not been working for me and it's possible my diet has contributed to that so I'm trying out a routine that is 70% strength and 30% cardio (HIIT). Also restricting my calories to 1,400 and eating more protein and less carbs.

My strength routine generally lasts about an hour for upper and lower body. I make sure my resistance is challenging and do 3 sets of 12 reps and about 10 exercises total. I don't feel sore the next day since my body has adjusted, so I feel like my body is capable of strength training every day (with one rest day). But I want to make sure my routine is at least challenging enough to get results.

Replies

• BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    What's your routine look like specifically especially in relation to 1 rep max?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You can do it every day as long as you're not working the same muscle group on back to back days. Your muscles need the rest. So no full body every day. I'd suggest lowering your reps and upping your weights, and/or finding a 4-5 day a week program to follow.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Glad you asked because I was going to follow up with my routine to make sure it was effective :)

I do all exercises 12 reps, 3x

Lower body:
    Squats on smith machine- 50 lbs
    Lunges on smith machine- 50 lbs
    Leg press- 110 lbs
    Cable leg extension- 5 lbs
    Cable glute kick- 10 lbs

Upper body:
    Bicep curls - 20 lbs
    Cable row-35 lbs
    Cable lat pulldown-40 lbs
    Tricep pulldown- 30 lbs
    Bicep fly- 5 lbs
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to bulk or cut? I can't tell by your profile..

• Terpnista84
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

Cut
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    it's possible my diet has contributed to that

Not just possible, likely to absolute. If you’re not eating well, no amount of exercise is going to fix things. Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat.

• CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Seems to me your weight routine could be adjusted, and I say that because it seems like you're doing mostly 1) non-compound lifts with 2) high reps that 3) aren't taxing your body. So for me, what you're doing, you could do every day because they're simply not doing that much for your body.

However, what I think would be preferred would be 1) compound free-weight lifts, i.e. bench, "real" (non-Smith machine) squats, deadlifts, rows, and overhead presses, the big five, in 2) in a set, known, well-developed program such as Stonglifts 5x5, so more sets but fewer reps, in 3) progressively heavier loads in order to tax your body.

With a program like Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, or what have you, you'll really feel and see the changes in your body; you won't WANT to lift every single day because you will definitely need rest and recovery days; and you'll probably see more progress at a faster rate.

Lift and lift heavy as you can, using compound free weights, and use the other exercises as accessories after the Big 5 lifts.
  • CharlieSC
    CharlieSC Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is a good question and one that interest me. I have been going through a set routine everyday now for about 3 weeks working every body part. This was just to get my body use to lifting again. Starting from the bottom (very light weights) I have made some progress. However, I can tell that I am tired and need to break things up a bit. I am looking for ideas for how to break down my areas of concentration ie. arms, legs, chest. Another reason is I am getting bored of the same ole workout each day.
  • Terpnista84
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Seems to me your weight routine could be adjusted, and I say that because it seems like you're doing mostly 1) non-compound lifts with 2) high reps that 3) aren't taxing your body. So for me, what you're doing, you could do every day because they're simply not doing that much for your body.

However, what I think would be preferred would be 1) compound free-weight lifts, i.e. bench, "real" (non-Smith machine) squats, deadlifts, rows, and overhead presses, the big five, in 2) in a set, known, well-developed program such as Stonglifts 5x5, so more sets but fewer reps, in 3) progressively heavier loads in order to tax your body.

With a program like Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, or what have you, you'll really feel and see the changes in your body; you won't WANT to lift every single day because you will definitely need rest and recovery days; and you'll probably see more progress at a faster rate.

Lift and lift heavy as you can, using compound free weights, and use the other exercises as accessories after the Big 5 lifts.

I think you may be on to something. When I was doing compound moves I felt like I got a much better workout and I was dripping sweat afterwards. I think I will go back to that.

But if I am trying to burn fat, is it more effective to do shorter reps with heavier weights or, moderate weights for more reps?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Glad you asked because I was going to follow up with my routine to make sure it was effective :)

I do all exercises 12 reps, 3x

Lower body:
    Squats on smith machine- 50 lbs
    Lunges on smith machine- 50 lbs
    Leg press- 110 lbs
    Cable leg extension- 5 lbs
    Cable glute kick- 10 lbs

Upper body:
    Bicep curls - 20 lbs
    Cable row-35 lbs
    Cable lat pulldown-40 lbs
    Tricep pulldown- 30 lbs
    Bicep fly- 5 lbs

you're missing a lot of things here...this is why I generally recommend that people follow a programmed routine...it takes quite a bit of knowledge to program a good routine and there are a lot of really smart people who've already put together tried and true programs to help ensure your work is going to result in optimal benefit, reduce the risk of injury, and avoid muscular imbalances.

Just at a glance, you're not really doing anything for your chest or shoulders and your posterior chain in general is lacking.

Also, no...I do not recommend resistance training on a daily basis. Benefits of lifting come with rest...even guys I know who are body building do a 6 day split at the most...most are 4 or 5. A solid full body program should be 3x weekly.
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    My goal is to just maintain the muscle I have while I lose weight. This is why I shy away from strength training because there's too much information and I'm confused as to what exactly I need to do.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    My goal is to just maintain the muscle I have while I lose weight. This is why I shy away from strength training because there's too much information and I'm confused as to what exactly I need to do.

Check out strong lifts or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Both of these are great programs to maintain strength and muscle mass while on a calorie deficit.
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    You could always try an upper body one day, then lower the next. More weight less reps will give you more dense muscle and strength, higher reps will help you gain more size, I think, ( but might be wrong) low weight and high reps will sculpt your body. Just make sure your not going to crazy with the weight, I'm assuming you would like to have good joints when your older. Also you might wanna add something for chest, shoulders, rear delts, forearms and calves.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I think you may be on to something. When I was doing compound moves I felt like I got a much better workout and I was dripping sweat afterwards. I think I will go back to that.

But if I am trying to burn fat, is it more effective to do shorter reps with heavier weights or, moderate weights for more reps?

You want to "burn fat." A calorie deficit will help you lose weight, but in general, in a deficit, your body will burn both fat and muscle for energy. Lifting weights will help you maintain your muscle mass while you are in a deficit; it won't necessarily "help you burn fat"; you'll probably lose [absolute] pounds a bit slower because you are trying to maintain one of the things your body wants to use for energy.

As you progressively build your strength, however, with heavier lifting, your muscles may grow in mass (it will be slow, and almost non-existent if you're in a continued deficit, but you can still build strength; muscle strength and muscle mass are two different things), and over time, those muscles will help you burn fat, as they require energy even at rest, whereas the fat does not.

It's a bit tough to wrap your head around the fact that when you lose "weight" on a caloric deficit, you are losing both muscle and fat.

If you want to simply lose weight, and don't care if it's muscle and fat, eat at a caloric deficit.

If you want to maintain your muscles while losing weight, lift weights. The heavier the better...start light and use a known program. Weight loss may be slower.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

All of this.... that program is doing nothing for you and for the love of God stay out of the Smith machine. People look silly squatting in the Smith machine.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

Cut

I did not read through the other posts after mine (so forgive me if I am being redundant).

I am doing a cut right now and I have changed my entire routine. (lift on Sundays, Wed, Friday (circuits), cardio Monday, Thursday (HIIT). I was doing full body Mon, Wed, Fri and cardio (same 35 minute routine on Sun, Tues, Thurs.. one day rest.

What I am getting at is I had to change my routine entirely and I am giving my self two days rest instead of one. I stalled. I changed my diet and it looks go so far.. I reassess in three weeks..

I would not lift 6 days a week for a cut IMO... I would throw in fat burning cardio and rest days. I like my routine a lot and will change it again in time.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    When I want to burn fat, I skip for a minute between sets and do everything with minimal breaks. I break mine into: day 1 shoulders day 2 quad focus legs day 3 back day 4 arms day 5 glute focus legs day 6 abs and I do yoga two days a week too. I don't chest because I do it enough with yoga and I hate doing chest.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

Check out strong lifts or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Both of these are great programs to maintain strength and muscle mass while on a calorie deficit.

Those are popular programs. I'd also recommend Thinner Leaner Stronger by Michael Matthews.

The good programs for women (and men) all recommend progressive overload using compound lifts. "Progressive" means that you can keep adding weights as you get stronger. "Overload" means that you stress your muscles using enough intensity and volume to cause them to react to the stress. "Compound lifts" use a combination of major and some minor muscle groups, which is the quickest path to strength gains. The most efficient way to maintain muscle mass while on a caloric deficit is progressive overload through compound lifts.

Progressive overload, stressing your muscles with adequate intensity and volume, causes micro tears in the muscle fibers. Lifting weights properly means that you are breaking your muscles down. Rest is then needed. It's during rest that your muscles repair and grow, both in strength and in size. Without rest, all you're doing is breaking down muscle, and injury will soon follow.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

New Rules of Lifting for Women is a solid place to start. The program is pretty good, but you will also benefit a lot from just reading the book...it explains why and how you should be doing all of this...it will strip away the confusion and also give you a pretty decent program to start with.

My wife started with New Rules and enjoyed it save for the last phase when things got a little convoluted. It was a great introduction though and alleviated a lot of her mostly irrational fears of the bar bell and weight room. She then moved on to Strong Curves and now she's a good 2.5 years into lifting and just uses programming templates from New Rules Supercharged to customize her own routines but still has the guidance of the template so that she doesn't miss things in one area or overdo things in another.

• Reg4502
    Reg4502 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Like some others have said, your body does need rest days. You can even ask people who compete and they will tell you that the body needs rest. You certainly do not need to rest after each day, but working out 5 days a week even 6 would be better. Take the 7th day and do some yoga if you are really trying to workout everyday.