Sugar!!!!

Options

Hi I am no where near new to my fitness pal having lost 25lbs with it at one point,
(I have new account now as I don't have access to my old email account) I currently weigh 132lbs (I'm 5'2) so still have a few pounds to go and they are being so stubborn. The culprit-- SUGAR!!!
I can be under my calorie goal everyday and sometimes have as much as triple the sugar goal :( that is my weakness I will eat hard candy drink soda or pre made teas and my things of choice (Arizona lemon tea and Pepsi) just drinking one can, can put me over the sugar goal. so i was hoping people can give me some good substitutes to replace these things something to replace all the hard candy I like to chew on daily and to replace my can of soda or tea (I can't drink unsweet tea) any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    water. I too love regular soda- diet chemical crud is not worth it. So I learned to drink water. and I love unsweetened tea- If i want something that feels like its sweet but isn't- I drink a berry infused tea or china mist passion fruit tea. I can only find that in nearly industrial size bags- so I don't get it often. other than that- chew sugar free gum instead? It has xylitol which is chemical crud- so I only have gum on occassion.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't have medical issues with sugar....and MFPs sugar numbers aren't for added sugars (like candy)...but for all sugars (including fruit). So, I no longer track sugar....I track fiber instead.

Sugar will not prevent you from losing weight (if your are eating at a deficit)....however, if sugar is a type of trigger food for you....you might want to cut back.

I used a step-down approach for iced tea (now I drink it with zero added sugar). I made my own iced tea (1/2 gallon) and added 1/4 cup of sugar.....then stepped-down to 3 Tbls....2 Tbls....etc. I found using flavored tea bags helped. I like Lipton Pyramid Bavarian Berry.....yum. 2 single flavored bags + 1 regular "family sized" bag makes 1/2 gallon. Flavored teas make the tea much more mellow. Not as much sugar is needed.

I drink a diet soda everyday. Pepsi is removing aspartame (if that's a concern). If the "diet" flavor is hard to get used to, try one of the 10 Calorie sodas. Just a smidge of sugar.

Gum in place of hard candy? Is the hard candy something you can chew. If I buy hard candy, it's something like Nips....those are impossible to chew without ripping fillings out. I have to suck the whole thing.
  • ahayes7768
    ahayes7768 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I actually drink a lot of water as it is I meant to get the sweet fix I apparently want so bad, with 1 can tea totaling 180 calories and 48 grams of sugar, willing to try anything.. can you give me since examples of berry infused teas? And sugar free gum would be a great step off eating skittles and now and laters all day! :) thanks! Very helpful
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I don't have medical issues with sugar....and MFPs sugar numbers aren't for added sugars (like candy)...but for all sugars (including fruit). So, I no longer track sugar....I track fiber instead.

Sugar will not prevent you from losing weight (if your are eating at a deficit)....however, if sugar is a type of trigger food for you....you might want to cut back.

I used a step-down approach for iced tea (now I drink it with zero added sugar). I made my own iced tea (1/2 gallon) and added 1/4 cup of sugar.....then stepped-down to 3 Tbls....2 Tbls....etc. I found using flavored tea bags helped. I like Lipton Pyramid Bavarian Berry.....yum. 2 single flavored bags + 1 regular "family sized" bag makes 1/2 gallon. Flavored teas make the tea much more mellow. Not as much sugar is needed.

I drink a diet soda everyday. Pepsi is removing aspartame (if that's a concern). If the "diet" flavor is hard to get used to, try one of the 10 Calorie sodas. Just a smidge of sugar.

Gum in place of hard candy? Is the hard candy something you can chew. If I buy hard candy, it's something like Nips....those are impossible to chew without ripping fillings out. I have to suck the whole thing.

This. Assuming you've been counting calories for a reasonable amount of time (not, "it's been 3 days and I haven't lost anything!), if you aren't losing it's because you aren't in a calorie deficit. Make sure you're logging accurately; there are so many factors that can easily steer you wrong in logging (inaccurate user entries, underestimating portions, overestimating calorie burns, etc).

Going over your sugar goal won't prevent you from losing unless you also aren't under your calorie goal. Some people will eat foods high in sugar, and then get hungry not long after, so they eat more. That can cause them to go over calorie goal. If that's the case, try focusing on foods that keep you feeling full longer (protein, fat, vegetables, etc). If you're just over your sugar goal, that isn't the issue.
  • ahayes7768
    Options
    Tea Bea thank you that is great advice! :-D I usually don't eat much fruit through out the day maybe a banana and on rare occasion oranges (good fruit that's not mushy is hard to find near me) so most of the sugar i consume is from Candy's and soda and tea or I wouldn't worry about it, and also I'm trying for a six pack so (not sure if this is right) but I heard sugar builds right around that midsection haha. Your tea idea is amazing that's what I did with coffee I used to have 5 sugars per cup in it gradually I reduced it to 1 sugar as for the Candy's, I eat anything hard or chewy really usually now and laters suckers and skittles :/ soo the gum will work but I have never heard of nips
  • ahayes7768
    Options
    Sorry maybe I wasn't clear I dont in any way think the sugar is not making me lose weight, no I gained these extra 10lbs back over winter (well I weighed 126 last summer ) and just had to get back on track because at the end of winter I weighed 137so I've already lost a few lbs no I just want a 6 pack as well and was told sugar rests in the mid section I have no problem staying under my calorie goal ;) thanks everyone for the feedback also I have never sawa 10 calorie soda lol were do u buy them from would be perfect haha. Loving the tea ideas guys thanks!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ahayes7768 wrote: »
    I actually drink a lot of water as it is I meant to get the sweet fix I apparently want so bad, with 1 can tea totaling 180 calories and 48 grams of sugar, willing to try anything.. can you give me since examples of berry infused teas? And sugar free gum would be a great step off eating skittles and now and laters all day! :) thanks! Very helpful

I would try make individual iced teas first and get an idea of how much fruit flavor you want (or expect).

For 20 ounces of iced tea you will need 2 single serve tea bags.

The teas I've found with the most fruit flavor are: Lipton Pyramid Bavarian Berry, Twinings Mixed Berry, Lipton Super Fruit Red Gogi Raspberry (green tea) and Arizona Mandarin Orange (green tea BAG).

With green tea you need to be careful that your water is not too hot. Scalded green tea is bitter. You want your water just about boiling.

RECIPE: CITRUS GINGER GREEN TEA

1 1-inch piece of ginger peeled and sliced
    1 orange thinly sliced, leaving the peel on
    1 lemon thinly sliced, leaving the peel on
    2 family size green tea bags (or 8 single bags)....flavored bags can be substituted.
    1 tablespoon honey or to taste (optional)

Heat 1 qt of water with ginger slices to just about boiling. Remove from heat and add tea bags, steep for 3-4 minutes. Add the fruit slices and steeped tea to a gallon pitcher. Let stand about 10-15 minutes, then add honey and stir. Add enough ice and cold water to fill the pitcher.

Taste will be stronger the second day. Rub fruit slices against the back of a slotted spoon to release some juices.

Another note: they do make cold brew tea bags....I think they taste terrible....but sun tea (made with regular tea bags) tastes fine.
  • kerussll
    kerussll Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey. Sugar is an actual addiction. You go into withdraw and have physical symptoms and generally feel cruddy for a few days when you give it up. But the great thing about it is, after you go a while without having it you won't crave it anymore. Things like fruit will suddenly taste super sweet and delicious. I have the biggest sweet tooth ever, but once I managed to go about a week without it I felt so much better. You will lose weight faster after you cut it out. Imagine how much your daily calories would go down when you cut out these non nutritional calories from Pepsi and candy?

As for replacement items I would recommend lots and lots of water. Add some lemon juice and crushed berries for flavor. Switch to mints or gum instead of the candy. Make sure you are eating often and nutritious things. If you let yourself get too hungry, you're going to reach for the sweets. Good luck. You can do this! And I promise you will feel so much better.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    kerussll wrote: »
    Cold turkey. Sugar is an actual addiction. You go into withdraw and have physical symptoms and generally feel cruddy for a few days when you give it up. But the great thing about it is, after you go a while without having it you won't crave it anymore. Things like fruit will suddenly taste super sweet and delicious. I have the biggest sweet tooth ever, but once I managed to go about a week without it I felt so much better. You will lose weight faster after you cut it out. Imagine how much your daily calories would go down when you cut out these non nutritional calories from Pepsi and candy?

As for replacement items I would recommend lots and lots of water. Add some lemon juice and crushed berries for flavor. Switch to mints or gum instead of the candy. Make sure you are eating often and nutritious things. If you let yourself get too hungry, you're going to reach for the sweets. Good luck. You can do this! And I promise you will feel so much better.

Ummm...no.

http://www.clinicalnutritionjournal.com/article/S0261-5614(09)00239-8/abstract
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You go into withdraw and have physical symptoms and generally feel cruddy for a few days when you give it up.

I never have, so nope. Granted, I was still eating veggies.

What happens for lots of people is that if they cut carbs way down they have an unpleasant adjustment period (some call it the low carb flu). But that's not "withdrawal."
    Things like fruit will suddenly taste super sweet and delicious.

I never have had a problem tasting and enjoying fruit (which is filled with sugar, so another reason why you can't possibly have sugar withdrawal if you are eating it), so always find it odd when people say this. Sure, if your palate is that screwed up, resetting it is probably a good idea, but I suspect most people can eat sweets and yet still enjoy fruit.

Fruit is a good option if you want to snack on something sweet other than candy, OP--berries are delicious. And I know you said you don't enjoy unsweetened teas, but have you tried the fruity herbal ones? Sage blueberry or a peach or some such? I like to chill them.
  • Devo257
    Devo257 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make your own iced tea.
    1 gallon h2o
    14 tea bags
    1 inch of fresh ginger sliced
    1/2 cup honey
    Juice of a lemon
    Juice of a lime

Prepare tea seven bags at a time in a 4 cup Pyrex. Add other ingredients while hot in desired container. The goal? Slowly lessen the amount of honey you add. Let the lemon and lime juice sweeten it. Mix and match teas. ☕
  • MaryLuna2
    MaryLuna2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was a Curves Gym member a while back, during that contract year, they held weekly meetings on nutrition,
    Long story short, the speaker highly recommended putting a teaspoon of sugar in your mouth and let it slowly dissolve. And a few minutes later, the sugar craving is gone.
    I tried it, and I couldn't believe it, this technique really works.
    15 calories as opposed to 240 calories + in a bottle of Pepsi,
    Please try this technique.
    I have sugar cravings during that time of the month, and the need for any sugar-filled "want" is completely gone after just a few minutes of slowly dissolving the sugar in my mouth.
  • ahayes7768
    Options
    Mary Luna that actually sounds like a great idea! I would use a sugar cube but that is great will deff try that thank you! Also thank you to everyone giving me tea recipes I'm not a citrus fan but I was thinking of buying the flavored tea and making it myself with a little added fruit. I do love fruit but it's hard to find good fruit around where I live and if I can manage it find some they have it ridiculously over priced :( anyway yesterday I bought some Sparkling Ice Strawberry watermelon carbonated water. I liked it and it did stop me from picking up that Pepsi, but the carbonation is a bit much but I will drink it in place of soft drinks along with the tea! Thanks everyone!
  • auddii
    Options
    Sorry maybe I wasn't clear I dont in any way think the sugar is not making me lose weight, no I gained these extra 10lbs back over winter (well I weighed 126 last summer ) and just had to get back on track because at the end of winter I weighed 137so I've already lost a few lbs no I just want a 6 pack as well and was told sugar rests in the mid section I have no problem staying under my calorie goal ;) thanks everyone for the feedback also I have never sawa 10 calorie soda lol were do u buy them from would be perfect haha. Loving the tea ideas guys thanks!

Sugar does not "rest in the stomach". If you want to cut down sugar because you feel like you eat too much, but don't buy into the "sugar is the devil" or "sugar goes straight to the hips/thighs/stomach".

This is probably far more helpful if you're looking to get abs:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • 07of09
    07of09 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Ummm...no.

This is a pretty hotly debated question. Respectfully, some research that has found that sugar does indeed have addictive qualities.

Wideman, C. H., G. R. Nadzam, and H. M. Murphy. "Implications of an animal model of sugar addiction, withdrawal and relapse for human health." Nutritional neuroscience 8.5-6 (2005): 269-276.

Avena, Nicole M., Pedro Rada, and Bartley G. Hoebel. "Evidence for sugar addiction: behavioral and neurochemical effects of intermittent, excessive sugar intake." Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews 32.1 (2008): 20-39.
  • auddii
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Sugar does not "rest in the stomach". If you want to cut down sugar because you feel like you eat too much, but don't buy into the "sugar is the devil" or "sugar goes straight to the hips/thighs/stomach".

This is probably far more helpful if you're looking to get abs:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

^Er, just realized I left out part of my comment. It's fine if you want to cut down for sugar, but do it because you want to not because of fear mongering. There are better things to focus on if you're trying to get abs (see link).
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    07of09 wrote: »

Ummm...no.

This is a pretty hotly debated question. Respectfully, some research that has found that sugar does indeed have addictive qualities.

Wideman, C. H., G. R. Nadzam, and H. M. Murphy. "Implications of an animal model of sugar addiction, withdrawal and relapse for human health." Nutritional neuroscience 8.5-6 (2005): 269-276.

Avena, Nicole M., Pedro Rada, and Bartley G. Hoebel. "Evidence for sugar addiction: behavioral and neurochemical effects of intermittent, excessive sugar intake." Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews 32.1 (2008): 20-39.

Please link the actual studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16669597
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Mary Luna that actually sounds like a great idea! I would use a sugar cube but that is great will deff try that thank you! Also thank you to everyone giving me tea recipes I'm not a citrus fan but I was thinking of buying the flavored tea and making it myself with a little added fruit. I do love fruit but it's hard to find good fruit around where I live and if I can manage it find some they have it ridiculously over priced :( anyway yesterday I bought some Sparkling Ice Strawberry watermelon carbonated water. I liked it and it did stop me from picking up that Pepsi, but the carbonation is a bit much but I will drink it in place of soft drinks along with the tea! Thanks everyone!

I used to eat sugar cubes as a kid, they were like the perfect little candy :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi I am no where near new to my fitness pal having lost 25lbs with it at one point,
    (I have new account now as I don't have access to my old email account) I currently weigh 132lbs (I'm 5'2) so still have a few pounds to go and they are being so stubborn. The culprit-- SUGAR!!!
    I can be under my calorie goal everyday and sometimes have as much as triple the sugar goal :( that is my weakness I will eat hard candy drink soda or pre made teas and my things of choice (Arizona lemon tea and Pepsi) just drinking one can, can put me over the sugar goal. so i was hoping people can give me some good substitutes to replace these things something to replace all the hard candy I like to chew on daily and to replace my can of soda or tea (I can't drink unsweet tea) any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
    adamitri wrote: »
    07of09 wrote: »

Ummm...no.

Please link the actual studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16669597

Rats do not equal humans.