Late Night Snacker

I eat pretty well all throughout the day and even at dinner. Then, once I get ready to watch some TV and relax, I get the munchies and quickly turn my great day into a food frenzy! And it's not sweets that I am after, it is often that I seek to get in another full meal, something more filling. I don't know what my problem is, but I have to assume I am not alone in the late night snacking/eating category! Does anyone have this same problem or a suggestion?

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    For me, if I feel like that my calories, fat and protein are way too low throughout the day and carbs too high. I always eat later because of my work. But I don't feel like that unless I starved all day.
  • I could be the same, I have started to have a couple of Cruskits with slices of tomatoes and S & P . . it helps .
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Instead of eating in front of the tv, eat at at the same table you eat dinner, and become mindful of your food. Get some books by Geneen Roth. They will help you see eating in a better way.
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    You are definitely not alone. I have this problem from time to time also. I use a product called Liporidex and I know they have a PM formula that is stimulant free and is supposed to help with late night cravings and burning fat. I love their other products so I am sure that one is great too. You should look it up on Amazon. Also, I agree with RodaRose, try not to eat while watching tv. Another thing I do is I like to do small exercises during commercials. So you get in a few minutes of jumping jacks or wall squats while watching your favorite show.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited April 2015
    I had this. I started doing IF, focusing my eating in a ten hour window each day, and now I never have cravings. I eat three good-sized meals a day, the first is around 10 or 11 AM and the last one is between 8 and 9 PM. After that, no more food. The first two nights were really difficult, and I had to yoga myself out of a few headaches, but once I learned to eat slightly larger meals so that I was eating enough calories, my night time cravings mostly went away.

Every once in a while, the craving to go downstairs and have a hot cocoa or a snack does hit, but it's pretty rare and I can generally ignore it. I have some water or tea instead.
  • yolo9752
    yolo9752 Posts: 69 Member
    I love to eat late! LOL...but now I follow few simple rules:

1. No food after dinner
    2. No eating anywhere but at dining table without TV, electronic device etc.
    3. If tempted-Protein Shake (I love chocolate milkshake flavor by Quest) with 2 tbsp of flax seed really stops my cravings.

I hope this helps!
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    yolo9752 wrote: »
    I love to eat late! LOL...but now I follow few simple rules:

1. No food after dinner
    2. No eating anywhere but at dining table without TV, electronic device etc.
    3. If tempted-Protein Shake (I love chocolate milkshake flavor by Quest) with 2 tbsp of flax seed really stops my cravings.

I hope this helps!

Great advice, thanks!
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Why not just plan for these snacks? Save a couple of hundred calories for the nighttime munchies and keep low calorie things around for that meal. Bistro pre-packaged salads are pretty good; for about 300 calories, you get something that is loaded with greens, meat, cheese, and crunchy things. Instead of setting up rules and so on, a little planning can save a lot of aggravation.
  • channi_c
    channi_c Posts: 47 Member
    personally i save some calories for supper, I normally find something like special K is satisfying or if im wanting a nibble I eat it dry, its rather nice

Another one I like is low fat cheese, pickle and crackers with beetroot and pickled onions in the right quantities is low calorie and very filling x
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    I really like having dessert, so I tend to leave some calories so I can have some chocolate pudding, pudding, cookies etc. Most nights I have a small pot of chocolate pudding that clocks in at just over 100kcal. Tonight I'm at the cinema and will be eating at Subway's, so I've already logged a cookie.
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    You are definitely not alone. I have this problem from time to time also. I use a product called Liporidex and I know they have a PM formula that is stimulant free and is supposed to help with late night cravings and burning fat. I love their other products so I am sure that one is great too. You should look it up on Amazon. Also, I agree with RodaRose, try not to eat while watching tv. Another thing I do is I like to do small exercises during commercials. So you get in a few minutes of jumping jacks or wall squats while watching your favorite show.

I use their products too, love them, and the PM works PERFECTLY for helping late night snacking. I used to fall victim to this all too often. Snacking has always gotten in my way from losing weight. Now I can easily stick with my meal plan for the day and night. I have a slight sensitivity to caffeine, so this one works well for me. Not eating after dinner is much easier said than done, but I know it's what needed to be done and now I am on track.
  • MelanieBallantino
    MelanieBallantino Posts: 16 Member
    Wow I am feeling the love on here. I haven't logged into here in a while because I have been crazy busy but I will certainly be taking some of your guys advice. No food after dinner, no eating in front of the tv...great advice! I looked up Liporidex, and it looks promising and could really help me with my snacking habits. Mandy do you get your on Amazon, not sure if there is a better deal somewhere else? http://www.amazon.com/Liporidex-Stimulant-Thermogenic-Supplement-Suppressant/dp/B006VYSZBA/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_y
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Hiya, I save some of my calories so I can have an evening snack and something in the night, I'm up most nights due to pain and I get peckish. Sometimes I'll have a snack a jack or crispbread with almond butter and banana. Other times I might not eat but have a nice mug of hot chocolate
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    I sometimes save calories for later

Like today I've planned I will have 400 calories to play with after dinner
  • Reg4502
    Reg4502 Posts: 32 Member
    I save calories throughout the day so I can enjoy a glass or two of wine. I am not a late night snacker but man do I love me some wine to help me relax after a long day.
  • cwilson72180
    cwilson72180 Posts: 30 Member
    It seems like you could not be eating enough high quality meals throughout the day. If you are still craving a full meal after dinner, then you should look closely at EVERYTHING you are eating. I like to eat something healthy and nutritious every 3 hours or so. This keeps me satisfied and helps increase my metabolism. If you still want something late night, try eating a piece of fruit or a couple almonds.
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Wow I am feeling the love on here. I haven't logged into here in a while because I have been crazy busy but I will certainly be taking some of your guys advice. No food after dinner, no eating in front of the tv...great advice! I looked up Liporidex, and it looks promising and could really help me with my snacking habits. Mandy do you get your on Amazon, not sure if there is a better deal somewhere else? http://www.amazon.com/Liporidex-Stimulant-Thermogenic-Supplement-Suppressant/dp/B006VYSZBA/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_y

I do get mine on Amazon, free shipping if you have prime and sometimes they do special deals there. Let me know how it goes. I am down another 3 pounds! Summer here I come!
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,842 Member
    My go-to snack at night is popcorn. I don't use butter and very light on the oil. I hate microwave popcorn. Instead of using salt, I have found some pretty good flavored powders in the popcorn section at Walmart to use. Their chocolate-caramel is wonderful if you need something sweet, but you do need to check the calories on the powders too.
  • sherribradley34
    sherribradley34 Posts: 13 Member
    I like to eat sweet cereals at night...I haven't had any in a few weeks..my willpower is weak!