Saddlebags and Thunder thighs at 129 lbs. :/

Options
You guys, I'm SO frustrated. I've lost 44 lbs., down to 129 lbs. now. I'm 5'5", small-medium frame. I've completed T25 and 21 Day Fix programs and still have major fat and cellulite below the belt. My thinner areas up top look GREAT! Wish I could post a pic, but we've all seen what fat looks like.

Is it all about losing more fat or more cardio or weights? My goal is to wear a two-piece this summer! HELP!

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. Enjoy the rockin bod.
    Search the forums for post after post after post after post after post of women who lift heavy and got sexy.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    tsalagi82 wrote: »
    still have major fat and cellulite below the belt.. Wish I could post a pic, but we've all seen what fat looks like.

I've seen "major fat and cellulite" before, and they don't look anything like your photos. ;)

Is it all about losing more fat or more cardio or weights?

Fat loss is about consuming the right number of calories for your activity level. But strength training will help keep your metabolism up, and may improve the cellulite too. For best results, follow a good, pro-designed strength program, and lift heavy. Popular programs here include NROLFW and Stronglifts.. or work with a personal trainer.
  • kerussll
    kerussll Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'll always be pear-shaped with a big butt for the rest of my body. But I agree with the lifting advice. It sounds like you're at a good weight, so you should just tone it up. Lift HEAVY. Girls never lift enough weight!! Do some squats, leg press, lunges with heavy weights. You shouldn't be able to do more than 8-10 reps and it should BURN.

Your legs and thighs won't get smaller, but you will see a big improvement and feel sexy! A big, firm booty is way better than a squishy, smaller one in my opinion.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and be patient.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    vorgas wrote: »
    Search the forums for post after post after post after post after post of women who lift heavy and got sexy.

+1
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    129 is a great weight for someone your height! Start lifting heavy and you will notice some major changes in your body composition, even if you don't lose any more weight... although you may lose a little more. I definitely suggest checking our Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules for Lifting - there's a girl version too, if you prefer. Also, feel free to continue to cardio too... i certainly do because the endorphins I experience after a run are so much more fun than those I experience after 25 squats at 175. That being said my butt looks better from the squats.

And like others have said before me - most of us have cellulite - it sucks cause we looke at all that retouched SH** in the magazines and think no one else has it... but we all (nearly) do! Rock that bikini... I promise you look good at your weight and you should embrace 44 lbs gone, instead of focusing on the little imperfections!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    vorgas wrote: »

+1
    +2

Count me among those who have seen great results since I started lifting heavy last year. I only wish I'd started sooner.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Squats, squats and more squats!
  • tsalagi82
    tsalagi82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    still have major fat and cellulite below the belt.. Wish I could post a pic, but we've all seen what fat looks like.

I've seen "major fat and cellulite" before, and they don't look anything like your photos. ;)

Fat loss is about consuming the right number of calories for your activity level. But strength training will help keep your metabolism up, and may improve the cellulite too. For best results, follow a good, pro-designed strength program, and lift heavy. Popular programs here include NROLFW and Stronglifts.. or work with a personal trainer.

I began the pr
    kerussll wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. I'll always be pear-shaped with a big butt for the rest of my body. But I agree with the lifting advice. It sounds like you're at a good weight, so you should just tone it up. Lift HEAVY. Girls never lift enough weight!! Do some squats, leg press, lunges with heavy weights. You shouldn't be able to do more than 8-10 reps and it should BURN.

Your legs and thighs won't get smaller, but you will see a big improvement and feel sexy! A big, firm booty is way better than a squishy, smaller one in my opinion.

I'm using 10 lb dumbbells right now, so I can definitely afford to get heavier weights. What weight would you recommend?

I don't necessarily mind my butt and thighs becoming smaller, just not jiggly and fat LOL.
  • tsalagi82
    Options
    TrailNurse wrote: »

Thanks, the two programs I have completed have had me do a ton of squats so I had hoped my booty would've improved. Sadly, still saggy.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    get on a structured lifting program like new rules of lifting for woman, strong lifts, starting strength, etc...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    TrailNurse wrote: »

Thanks, the two programs I have completed have had me do a ton of squats so I had hoped my booty would've improved. Sadly, still saggy.

I am guessing those are body weight squats?

you need to meet mr. barbell for a lot of dates…..
  • tsalagi82
    Options
    129 is a great weight for someone your height! Start lifting heavy and you will notice some major changes in your body composition, even if you don't lose any more weight... although you may lose a little more. I definitely suggest checking our Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules for Lifting - there's a girl version too, if you prefer. Also, feel free to continue to cardio too... i certainly do because the endorphins I experience after a run are so much more fun than those I experience after 25 squats at 175. That being said my butt looks better from the squats.

And like others have said before me - most of us have cellulite - it sucks cause we looke at all that retouched SH** in the magazines and think no one else has it... but we all (nearly) do! Rock that bikini... I promise you look good at your weight and you should embrace 44 lbs gone, instead of focusing on the little imperfections!

I try not to focus on the imperfections, but it's hard not to expect to look amazing after reaching your goal weight. I guess I had a vision in my mind of what I would look like at this weight, and it ain't happening. Definitely proud of losing that weight!

Will definitely up the weights!
  • tsalagi82
    Options

Thanks, I will probably go back to a program I bought last year, "Body Beast".
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    get on a structured lifting program like new rules of lifting for woman, strong lifts, starting strength, etc...

Yep.

I'm an inch shorter than you, and about 133. My cellulite has evened out, I would like to say heavy lifting helped immensely. It's kind of disappearing before my eyes. I think by the end of the year it will be basically nothing.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I began the pr
    kerussll wrote: »

I'm using 10 lb dumbbells right now, so I can definitely afford to get heavier weights. What weight would you recommend?

I don't necessarily mind my butt and thighs becoming smaller, just not jiggly and fat LOL.

More than 10 lbs...

When I started, it was with the bar, at 45 lbs. Now I'm up to 180. You should use a progressive lifting program.
  • trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Strength training is great but be cautious- good form and consistency are more important than lifting the heaviest weight possible. If you are exhausting the muscle then you will get the results.

The other thing I thought when I saw your post was that if you are still soft and squishy in places you may want to continue your weight loss. Losing those last couple pounds can make a big difference in terms of appearance.

In my own experience, I dropped from 115 to 109 this winter and saw a big difference in the cellulite on my thighs and my belly fat. I was shocked at what a difference just 6 pounds could make.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,525 Member
    Options
    I'm with you there! I'm about the same height and weight, have a very flat stomach, my pelvis bones show (I have a wide pelvis) - and then there's this great amount of fat on my inner thighs. As I don't want to lose more weight as it makes my face look too thin and unfriendly thus there's nothing left but acceptance.
  • tsalagi82
    Options
    trusty48 wrote: »
    Strength training is great but be cautious- good form and consistency are more important than lifting the heaviest weight possible. If you are exhausting the muscle then you will get the results.

The other thing I thought when I saw your post was that if you are still soft and squishy in places you may want to continue your weight loss. Losing those last couple pounds can make a big difference in terms of appearance.

In my own experience, I dropped from 115 to 109 this winter and saw a big difference in the cellulite on my thighs and my belly fat. I was shocked at what a difference just 6 pounds could make.

I kind of thought the same thing about myself. If there's fat still present, I probably should continue to lose weight. How tall are you?
  • trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just saw your response- I'm 5'2" and have a small frame. My goal weight was 110 which I overshot slightly- but I'm happy where I am at now.