Hate running but want to run

Options

Replies

• jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    2 things: 1) don't do things you hate 2) definitely give it a try, especially if you think you only hated running because you were too out of shape for it.

I never ran, ever. I always walked the mile in school. A friend of mine retired from the army and we worked out a few times, we would do calisthenics and then he would make me run about 1/2 mile. Once I realized that I had the ability to run, and not die, I used Couch to 5K. I did not use the app, I just use a spreadsheet of the program I found on coolrunnings.com (I think). I committed to doing it, and now I love running. I've done several 5Ks, 10Ks, Half Marathons, a full Marathon, and several triathlons.

So, I didn't start off liking running, but learned to love it because I learned how to do it properly and within my limits. It is a slow process working yourself up, and working on things like finding a comfortable pace for your abilities. My biggest breakthrough was when I learned to slow down and find the pace that allowed me to complete the distance. It opened up everything for me.

If you try it and still hate it, then get a bike.
  • Nuke807
    Nuke807 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I vote for c25k as well. When I was in HS I ran a 5 minute mile, now almost 20 years later I had a hard time walking a mile fast. I started the c25k program and it has helped out immensely. Instead of trying to run flat out for a particular distance, you walk for 90sec, run for 90sec, walk for 90sec, run for 90sec, etc... and build upon times from there. It sucks at first, but after the first week I was doing MUCH better than I had anticipated, and enjoy (for the most part) the exercise of it now. Just like going to lift weights or do cardio, you have to work up to it, not just dive in head first. If you wear yourself out right away, the motivation will not be there to continue.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    My goal for next year is to start running. I have enough on my plate this year LOL

i keep thinking ill like it. i WANT to like it. i could be wrong (but i do love the cardio at the gym.... elliptical and arc trainer) so.... maybe.

when i do start ill DEFINITELY use the C25K program!
  • ano463s
    ano463s Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of apps out there, and I only remember hearing good things. It's a matter of personal preference on the display mostly, but you can look at reviews too, of course.

I wholeheartedly agree with the take it slow approach, and especially slowing down if you feel like you're not able to continue/breathing too hard/etc. It all comes with time.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a fan of running either but ever since I started running again -- it's been great. The first mile is always the worst but it gets easier after that. I started with the Couch25K program so that's a good place to begin.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Run slower. Everyone I've met who hates running describes exactly what you're saying - out of breath, stitch in side, etc. That should only happen, if at all, when you're doing speed work/sprinting, which is totally unnecessary for a beginner (or even for an old-timer who is not particularly concerned with pace, like me).

Next time you try running, the minute you start to feel uncomfortable, just slow way down. Run as slow as you can without actually walking. Eventually your lung function and muscles will improve to the point that you WANT to run faster because it will be more comfortable. Let it happen naturally. When you start to get short of breath or get a stitch, just slow it down. Running is great and I'm really glad you're going to give it another try!

This. I would also say, when I got back into running after a 6 year hiatus, I determined I would "run" for 20 minutes. I literally jogged for 2 minutes for my first workout. I walked the rest of the time. Then each time I "went for a run" I added another minute or 2. The beauty of it was that I never felt sore or awful the next day! It took me about 3 months to work up to a 5k.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have been running for years and some days it still sucks! During it... but after you feel amazing, without fail! I find when I'm getting back into the groove of running after a hiatus, it helps for me to set goals of time I'm going to run, rather than distance... at least at first. For instance, I'm going to run 10 minutes straight and then take a 10 minute break walking and then run another 10 minutes (I know that is a lot for some people, but it's just an example... you could do 2 minutes too). I don't worry about whether I went .5 a mile or 1.0 or even faster in those ten minutes, as long as I ran them. Without fail, sooner than I expect, I no longer need those walking breaks and I can start to work on speed and distance.

Also try lifting heavy on a rotating schedule; I never saw my running improve as quickly as it did once I started Stronglifts 5x5... I gained speed & endurance so quickly all of the sudden, from my new found stronger muscles!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I loved running...then gained weight and hated it...lost the weight and loved it again. I had to start off slow. I think a lot of people think if you want to run you just go and do it. Well sort of. You have work up to speed and distance. When I started again I used the Jeff Galloway method. Run/walk/run...that way I was not trying to go full out all at once. Little by little I increased my pace and my distance. I also found my love of running again. I am now to the point when I don't get to run I am a beast to be around.

So, start off slow and work you way up. If you really don't like it then find something else to do. I did notice that as I was adding more weight training to my workouts I was building muscles and that helped my running get stronger.

Oh and get fitted for good shoes. Nothing makes a run suck worse than poor fitting shoes.
  • mandy_bird
    mandy_bird Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're taking the wrong approach by pushing yourself. I agree with what some of the others have said, slow down, and try to keep a steady pace for at least 20 minutes...even if that means just walking. If you slowly increase your tempo each day, eventually you will be able to run for 20 minutes or more without your lungs, legs, and side hurting like crazy.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    mandy_bird wrote: »
    Sounds like you're taking the wrong approach by pushing yourself. I agree with what some of the others have said, slow down, and try to keep a steady pace for at least 20 minutes...even if that means just walking. If you slowly increase your tempo each day, eventually you will be able to run for 20 minutes or more without your lungs, legs, and side hurting like crazy.

I completely agree with this - and wanted to add - I think a lot of non-runners think runners wake up and are just able to do it easily. I know A LOT of runners, and none of them think it's easy... while it may come slightly easier to some than others, in general those who are considered "runners" work at it, week in and week out, through really great days but also incredibly awful days, where a few more steps just seem impossible. I know a girl who has done Boston three times and countless other marathons and she still complains about a bad run at least weekly. We can't all be on all the time... but you will get better with time and effort and the highs will get higher as you achieve your goals!
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't like running. But I don't hate it anymore. Maybe one day I'll actually like it. For now, I'll settle for not hating it.

When I first started running, I carried a small bottle of water and ran until the bottle was empty. A friend of mine said to make sure I was walking as much as I was running when I started, and I think that was probably good advice. Like Roxiegirl2008 says, run then walk then run...

It's so much easier if you have music with a good beat that you actually like. I don't understand how people run without music, it strikes me as the most miserable thing.

Good luck!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Take it slow, start with walking mixed in with short bursts of jogging, then gradually increase the jogging and decrease the walking. Music helps most people to run longer...but I have a friend who listens to audio books and swears they are better than music for him.

But if you really don't like it, just pick something else. There is nothing magical about running that other cardio can't duplicate.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I use the Zombies, Run! app. It turns your runs into "missions" and is kind of fun.
  • meechayay
    meechayay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started running with Couch to 5K 4 months ago and now I'm on to a 10k. I prefer passing the time with distractions like audiobooks and podcasts. I use the stitcher app to download podcasts for offline listening. It doesn't make you run fast the way music does, but it helps the time pass. I also tried zombie run (2.99 iphone app) and it's entertaining too. Also, if you're a woman, make sure you have a good running bra and shoes. If those don't fit right, you'll hate it forever! Good luck!
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    C25K is seriously great! At the start I couldn't fun for 3 minutes without stopping and by the end I was running 5K in just over half an hour. I still hate running though, but I do it fairly regularly.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running, for all the reasons you listed. It hurt. And that's because I was running (or trying to run) too fast and too long, and didn't realize I had to built up slowly and learn to run. Couch to 5k was great.

I've been running for four years now, and at this stage, I've come to realize that I enjoy running best when I throw in some walk intervals. It doesn't affect my overall pace that much, but it greatly increases the fun I have.
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you don't like running, you aren't going to like running.

That's absolutely not true. I hated running my whole life until I gave it a real try a few years ago. Now, I love it. I fanatically love it. A lot of us have similar stories. You just have to start very slow at very short distances and build up. OP, just run from your front door to the first light pole. Next week run to the second light pole. Or hop on a treadmill for a few minutes. You'll be running several miles nonstop within a year. If I can do it anyone can. Definitely give C25K a try or look up your local MRTT chapter for a ton of running buddies at all levels and lots of support. Go for it!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I like running but I agree with others who say it isn't for everyone.

I would try C25K or a similar program (I used Run For God which is pretty similar but has a Bible study component along with it...you can find out more at www.runforgod.com if interested). The main thing is: No matter how slow you go, if your feet are leaving the pavement and then coming back down that's "running". As long as you put in the workouts, you will see faster times and better lung etc. condition over time.

I ran my first 5K in well over ten years last year. I'm doing Run for God again this year and planning a 5K *and* a 10K (and pondering a half-marathon depending on how well June's 10K goes..)

If you try C25K and find you don't care after running your goal race, I'd find something else...the easiest way to stay active is to find something you consider to be "fun"...it doesn't feel like exercise then. Good luck...
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    it helps for me to set goals of time I'm going to run, rather than distance... at least at first.

This is also excellent advice. I don't think in terms of "miles" I think in terms of "How long can I run at one time?" and "How long I can altogether if I alternate running and walking?".
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    If you hate running, don't run. I'm the same way, and every year I try to force myself to run and it makes me miserable. So this year, I set a goal to not try and force myself to be a runner, and I'm so much happier!