Calorie Deficit ---> Fatigue?

Options
Has anyone experienced out-of-the ordinary levels of fatigue while eating at a deficit? I've run my caloric data through TDEE calculators and have set MFP to match those numbers. I've lost about 15 lbs. since January. I still have enough of a belly fat ring that I'd be embarrassed to wear a bikini, but I don't know if I should lose any more weight. I'm now 140 lbs at 5-foot-10; 41 years old.

I've been inordinately tired lately and sometimes it interferes with my workouts, like today when I went swimming; I could hardly get out of my own way. I stopped for fear I'd drown. I've had some dizziness, too. I went to the doctor, who suggested hyponatremia, but that doesn't make too much sense. I don't limit my sodium intake and don't drink enough water to cause a problem. I am scheduled for blood work to have my iron levels checked; I was an anemic kid.

My workouts consist of running, biking, swimming, or lifting, generally 4-5 days/week. Feel free to check my diary and lend me any advice. Thanks.

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    It might be time to start focusing more on maintenance and actually gaining some muscle.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It might be time to start focusing more on maintenance and actually gaining some muscle.

This.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I don't think my deficit is *that* extreme; 1500-1600 cal./day. I am trying to do more lifting; problem is, I LOVE running! I enjoy road races, especially half marathons. I'm also doing to triathlon training, again, because I love it! I think I'll work on finding a happy medium in maintenance land.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Have you had blood work since starting your health program? Also, are you eating a portion of your exercise calories back?
  • Equus5374
    Options
    Blood work is later this week; I have it done yearly unless there are other issues. What's the matter with "fat ring?" It's like I'm wearing one of those kids' inner tubes they wear in a pool!
  • rdfaye
    rdfaye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie, at least to the possible exercise issues. But if the tiredness just started recently, I would request a full blood panel from your doctor. It could be anemia, low potassium, or something else that has gone wonky. Coming from a family with bizarre medical issues, this is my 2 cents.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Does calorie deficit = fatigue? depends...

It depends on how extreme the calorie deficit is.

^This. Getting a blood test is smart, especially with a history or anemia. Looked at your diary, and if you are logging correctly, days of 300 or 600 calories is counter-productive and dangerous, given your stated activity levels. I would also recommend you accurately track your fat intake. There are many days where you come under the recommended daily amount as per your tracking. Minimum recommendations are .3-.4g/lbs.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Electrolyte imbalances like hyponatraemia aren't usually diet related, thet are often due to issues with thyroid or pituitary glands or kidneys as it often comes back to hormone regulation of body functions. Hope the bloods give you some answers.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    At 140 lbs. at 5'10" you are well within a normal weight range for your height. In fact, considering the amount of exercise you do, 1500-1600 might be too low. I'm with the others who say to maintain and focus on building muscle, maybe add some more protein to your diet.
  • Equus5374
    Options
    Thanks, peeps! @charlieandcarol...I love your pony!! I had two horses prior to starting graduate school (I'm almost finished!!). I miss them so much and look forward to the day when I can be a horse mom again!! :smile:
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Fuel your road races, triathlon training, and lifting - I can't imagine doing those while eating only 1500-1600 calories a day.
  • Britxclarity
    Britxclarity Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    Has anyone experienced out-of-the ordinary levels of fatigue while eating at a deficit? I've run my caloric data through TDEE calculators and have set MFP to match those numbers. I've lost about 15 lbs. since January. I still have enough of a belly fat ring that I'd be embarrassed to wear a bikini, but I don't know if I should lose any more weight. I'm now 140 lbs at 5-foot-10; 41 years old.

I've been inordinately tired lately and sometimes it interferes with my workouts, like today when I went swimming; I could hardly get out of my own way. I stopped for fear I'd drown. I've had some dizziness, too. I went to the doctor, who suggested hyponatremia, but that doesn't make too much sense. I don't limit my sodium intake and don't drink enough water to cause a problem. I am scheduled for blood work to have my iron levels checked; I was an anemic kid.

My workouts consist of running, biking, swimming, or lifting, generally 4-5 days/week. Feel free to check my diary and lend me any advice. Thanks.

While I do not have any help for this.. do you mind telling me the website you went to that calculated you're TDEE? so i can do the same
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    Thanks, peeps! @charlieandcarol...I love your pony!! I had two horses prior to starting graduate school (I'm almost finished!!). I miss them so much and look forward to the day when I can be a horse mom again!! :smile:

That's Charlie. I am at graduate school also but not even nearly finished......sitting on your butt at a computer all day is not helpful for health, fitness or weight loss I find!!!!!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Unless the hyponatremia is caused by an underlying medical condition, it's extremely rare for it to be caused by too much water. I'm smaller than you (5'3, 120) and I drink 120 oz of green tea/day. Usually with a protein shake or two. And I'm good! :smiley:

I am vitamin D deficient (probably the only person in SoCal who is :wink: ), vitamin B deficient and iron deficient. Not keeping my levels up can throw me for an exhausted loop.

I'm a little older than you, 44, and I also get worn out if I don't get enough sleep. The older I get, the more necessary it is.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    So your not just tired from training for a triathlon?

• morowinder
    morowinder Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try multivitamin tablets + some extra vitamin/mineral supplements, whatever multivitamin lacks. Actually add some omega 3-6-9 to that and make a habit of swallowing a handful of vitamin pills every morning, as scary as it may sound, soon you will start to feel better in general. Often weird symptoms are caused by deficiency of micronutrients.