How to eat healthy

Options
ok so I just decided to get into shape but I'm not sure on how to eat and what's good for me and what's not.

Replies

• ShannonMK9
    ShannonMK9 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Start with logging what you eat currently, that gives a starting point for tips on food. What to eat that is healthy for you, eat fresh foods versus fast foods if possible. Balanced nutrition between the food groups, low sugar intake, and eat stuff you enjoy.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    mylovetori wrote:
    so I just decided to get into shape but I'm not sure on how to eat and what's good for me and what's not.
    When you say "get into shape", what do you mean?
    Simply losing weight to get into a healthy BMI range?
    Getting your waist to hip ratio below 0.8?
    Getting your body fat percentage to or below 31%?
    Slimming? Toning? Building muscle? Increasing strength?
    Increasing cardiovascular fitness? Shorter recovery time? Better endurance? Faster speed?
    You can do any (or all!) of those, though building muscle isn't easy for women. (And it's VERY unlikely to happen
    while you're eating at a deficit to lose weight. But you can maintain the muscle mass you have, and get stronger.)

To set your macronutrient percentages, or see that what you're eating is in the healthy ranges,
    see this table from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
    carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

Here are some other resources to help you learn about a healthy diet.
    http://www.nutrition.gov/
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/?s_cid=cdc_homepage_topmenu_002

Here's a newbie help post where I've compiled links to helpful info.
    Start with the first one: sexypants
    Second, accurate logging.
    Then the one about goal setting.
    That has a link to this calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine, which will tell you not only your BMI (to see that
    your goal weight is in a healthy range), but also how many calories and how many servings of the various food groups
    you should eat to maintain that weight. You can either eat to maintain your goal weight, and eventually get there, or find
    what you'd eat to support your current weight, then subtract 250 cal/day in order to lose 0.5 lb per week, which is a reasonable
    goal when you only have 30 lb to lose. As you hit plateaus, cut another 50 calories & give it a couple weeks.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    As for "what's good for me and what's not"...
    In general, eat more of your calories from food that's less processed, and less from food that's more processed.
    Don't go overboard on anything, don't cut anything out of your diet (unless there are medical reasons or you just don't like it).
    The idea is not to be miserable, but to find a healthy balance that you can maintain the rest of your life.
    If you go back to eating like you did before, you'll go back to looking like you did before.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ShannonMK9 wrote: »
    Start with logging what you eat currently, that gives a starting point for tips on food.

Yes, this is a great place to start. I think most people can see what are good choices and what aren't and where they are getting excess calories and could cut when they do that.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

The above is a decent place to start if you want to think about nutrition, as are the MFP macro goals (protein, fat, carbs--think of protein in particular as a minimum) and the basic idea that eating veggies and fruit are a good addition if you aren't already.
  • catherineEball
    catherineEball Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is not just what to eat but when to eat. More calories earlier in the day is better. Sweets after dinner not so good. Be careful of too much fruits and fruit juices. While more healthy than sodas, they still have lots of sugar. Also be careful of sweetened yogurts.. I just busted my sugar intake today with one 4 oz of Activia.. 17 sugars! Yikes. Focus on Veggies, Lean Meats, and Complex Carbs (whole grains, nuts and beans).
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    For starting out, JUST worry about calories. After you get the hang of tracking and noticing what you're eating, you can adjust how to spend your calories. Cows milk in my coffee wasn't worth it, so I switched to almond milk. I now buy greek yogurt with 7g of sugar and 12g protein instead of the 27g sugar and 3g protein. You just start to notice where your nutrients are lacking and can change your food consumption accordingly.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    It is not just what to eat but when to eat. More calories earlier in the day is better. Sweets after dinner not so good. Be careful of too much fruits and fruit juices. While more healthy than sodas, they still have lots of sugar. Also be careful of sweetened yogurts.. I just busted my sugar intake today with one 4 oz of Activia.. 17 sugars! Yikes. Focus on Veggies, Lean Meats, and Complex Carbs (whole grains, nuts and beans).

I'll leave most of this alone but the bold is 100% hooey.

That's a personal preference thing, not a universal truth.

I can't handle a big breakfast on work days, and I always have dessert after dinner.

I've lost 17 pounds so far.

OP - log what you currently eat and see how you're doing. Seriously consider getting a food scale and weighing your solids & semi-solids in grams (or ounces if necessary) and only use measuring cups/spoons for liquids.

Log like that for a week or so and see how much you're eating and how you're feeling, hunger wise. Then, look at reducing your calorie intake to what MFP gives you and consider switching out foods if needed.

If you need more advice, just ask!

~Lyssa
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I feel better than I have in years.
    1. I eat within my calorie goal for the day.
    2. I eat foods that keep me full: nutrient dense
    3. I strive to meet my goals daily for protein, calcium, fiber, iron, potassium and fat. I do not pay attention to sodium carbs or sugars.
    4. I try to drink at least 40 oz of water a day. More if I exercise or if I'm just thirsty. This is to prevent water retention.
    5. I try not to drink calories. I prefer to eat my calories.
    6. I only eat stuff I enjoy.
    7. If I have enough calories left over I have a treat.
    8. I have lost 30 lbs so far.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I feel better than I have in years.
    1. I eat within my calorie goal for the day.
    2. I eat foods that keep me full: nutrient dense
    3. I strive to meet my goals daily for protein, calcium, fiber, iron, potassium and fat. I do not pay attention to sodium carbs or sugars.
    4. I try to drink at least 40 oz of water a day. More if I exercise or if I'm just thirsty. This is to prevent water retention.
    5. I try not to drink calories. I prefer to eat my calories.
    6. I only eat stuff I enjoy.
    7. If I have enough calories left over I have a treat.
    8. I have lost 30 lbs so far.

That would be how you do it!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    10417803_990537880959147_8984754035877658549_n.png?oh=e866329deabd9c5a51474b90c0bcff57&oe=55E30821
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's a shame they have recommended protein listed so low. It's definitely my highest macro (good for weight training).