Activity Trackers A Gimmick?

Options
I really think that activity trackers like the FitBit are a gimmick. I done research on these devices and they are extremely inaccurate in calories burned/steps taken/heart rate monitoring while doing activities.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I bloody hope not!! I've had a fitbit for nearly a month and thus far I'm believing calories burned.
    My weigh in day is this Friday, we shall see just how accurate it is then....
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Also, I've got the zip, I wouldn't bother with the HR monitor devices
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Can you show us some of your research on them? I'm indifferent to activity trackers but would love to read some research.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    They aren't really meant to be exact but they are very good at giving an overall picture of activity levels. Many people have the habit of doing a big workout, then do nothing for the rest of the day. Some find it motivating to keep active.

I've known a few people who have a had great success with them and the calorie levels. Like anything else, it is an estimate, a starting point. It's up to you to adjust from there.

Necessary, no. Useful, for some.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    StrayAlien wrote: »
    I really think that activity trackers like the FitBit are a gimmick. I done research on these devices and they are extremely inaccurate in calories burned/steps taken/heart rate monitoring while doing activities.

The basic point, activity trackers get people moving more. That in and of itself is enough to make it worth the cost.

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I can say that my Fitbit keeps me moving and while I do not pay much attention to all the data that it collects and reports I do like to have at least my steps and active minutes tracked.

Some people look to gadgets to be live changing and provide them with out of this world data. I pretty much see them as grown up toys that require a reasonable mind to utilize.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I thought about asking for one for Christmas but they just look like an overpriced pedometer to me...
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone and I think the steps taken are pretty accurate... I've tested it out by counting out 100 steps, then syncing and it's been pretty accurate. Now, the distance and calories burned I doubt are accurate, but I ignore those numbers. I'm interested in keeping my step count up and it motivates me to keep moving.
  • franklin505
    franklin505 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Zip and it has kept me motivate and moving more. I try to make 10,000 steps a day, which I seem to do easily now. I sometimes eat back the exercise calories and sometimes I don't. The Zip is fun and I love it, I am losing weight so who cares about accuracy.
  • StrayAlien
    StrayAlien Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think they are good motivation for people but wouldn't use the calories burned data for MFP. If I did I would take at least 30% off the total calories burned for the inaccuracy of these devices. Better to underestimate to avoid disappointment at the scales.

Just keep in mind they are not 100% accurate.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Lab-accurate? No.

Do they need to be? Nope.

My phone is the only activity tracker I own and that little completion circle graph in Google Fit was enough to keep me motivated through a rainy Northwest winter. It did not then and still doesn't track calories burned but I knew that my activity level was way up over prior years while my food consumption had not changed much. Sure enough... my clothes started fitting better, then looser and then I was pulling in my belt one, two, three and then four notches. All without tracking calories in or out... but with Google Fit being a constant reminder.

To be fair I did have Strava going from day one and I'm glad off it because the additional data Strava gave me that Google Fit doesn't, like calorie estimates, which I find slightly high, was useful. What I appreciated most were comparisons that showed improvement. I still like those. :)

Technology was a factor in some of us getting unfit or fat. I think it's fitting, pardon the pun, that technology is helping some of us get fit again.

Gimmick? No way.
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I thought about asking for one for Christmas but they just look like an overpriced pedometer to me...

My feelings exactly. I use a Garmin for running and have tried a few different kinds of pedometers (mount on shoe, belt, and wrist), but none of them were really close to being accurate. If you are always walking with the same gate, they might be good, but your stride length changes with incline and pace.

If the gimmick works for you, then keep at it, but for me it just didn't work.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing the placebo effect!

• Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have a cheapie pedometer that does what it needs to, and I'm going to purchase a waterproof watch so I can track my swimming improvements. I had a heart rate monitor a while back, but, honestly, how heavy I was breathing was just as accurate a measuring tool.

That's all I need. I'm not saying the other trackers aren't fun, but for my goals, they aren't necessary.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure they need to be spot on. I use a Garmin for running and an older Garmin I have for cycling so I'm not too worried about whether my Zip is dead on. I use it to be sure I'm getting in my steps for the day and I'm burning sufficient calories above what I burn with daily exercise. I do think they can be highly motivating for someone that is just starting too.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I love my charge. No activity tracker (including the manual tracking in mfp), is ever going to be accurate, but if it gives me extra motivation to keep moving around instead of sitting on my squishy behind, then so be it. I also love the step competitions with the people you can have. A little competition always makes me move more ;)
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I walk with a woman who has long strides, like a gorilla. Our walk is around 2 miles and her phone shows 3900 steps and 1.9 miles and mine shows 2.1 miles and 4400 steps... But we both got out and walked. I have been doing 10K step a day for the last year in addition to anything else I do (Gym / Running) so the accuracy is somewhat irrelevant (I don't eat back calories).. down 68 lbs and at maintenance!
  • alpy50
    alpy50 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am really tempted to get one that also tracks sleep. I find the more data I have, the more motivated I am because the data is personalised and changes depending on what I do or don't do. This week, for instance, I decided to cut out alcohol altogether as it ruins the next two days as well (I am constantly hungry even though earlier in the week I was doing great on less calories).

I don't mind the data not being completely accurate - it's sort of as if you had scales that always said you were 4lbs heavier than you actually are. If you keep using them, you will see results even if they do not reflect your true weight.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex and recently upgraded to the fitbit charge. I've personailzed my settings with my measured walking stride (I don't run) and TDEE and when used in conjunction with the phone app, it measures distance via gps and my steps fall within my stride parameters. Calorie burn matches within a percentage or 2 in comparison to my Polar HRM. (I double check it occasionally)

Yes, it's a glorfied pedometer, but for me, it's made me more aware of my daily activity and I have adjusted my routines to incorprate more walking into my day.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I think they are good motivation for people but wouldn't use the calories burned data for MFP. If I did I would take at least 30% off the total calories burned for the inaccuracy of these devices. Better to underestimate to avoid disappointment at the scales.

Just keep in mind they are not 100% accurate.

Based on what?

Nothing is accurate outside of a lab.

Calorie burned estimates are only on side of the equation. If someone is completely off on their intake, it doesn't really matter. It is all about consistency.
    Lots of people do just fine following the calorie suggestions. Others have to adjust.