Should I weigh lentils before or after cooking?

Options
Lens culinaris Lentils 100 g 353 Calories
Lens culinaris Boiled 100 g 116 Calories from Google

I'm not sure if that means that I should weigh out 100g of lentils then cook them, or cook some lentils, drain them then measure out 100g.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies

• IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    before cooking.
    100 grams of uncooked lentils will weigh a lot more when cooked.
    the weight of cooked food will depend on how it's cooked, and how long it's cooked for.
  • UnknownAX0
    UnknownAX0 Posts: 24 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    IvanOcampo wrote: »
    before cooking.
    the weight of cooked food will depend on how it's cooked, and how long it's cooked for.

lets suppose i boil 100g red Lentils for half an hour how much calorie it will contain ?

i am confused because on google its 353 calorie red lentils/100g but when i choose boiled option then its 116 calorie per 100 g Does cooking affect the calories bcoz there is 237 calorie difference
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Weigh them before. Use the "raw" nutritional information, roughly 350 calories/100g.

Yes, of course cooking affects the calories/gram - anytime you cook a dry ingredient it is going to absorb water and hold less calories/gram, depending on how much water is absorbed. That's why you weigh uncooked.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    UnknownAX0 wrote: »
    before cooking.

lets suppose i boil 100g red Lentils for half an hour how much calorie it will contain ?

i am confused because on google its 353 calorie red lentils/100g but when i choose boiled option then its 116 calorie per 100 g Does cooking affect the calories bcoz there is 237 calorie difference

If you take 100g of dry lentils, noted as 353 cals, and you cook them, and eat ALL of the lentils you just cooked, then you will ingest those same 353 cals. Looking at the numbers you provided, the resultant weight of the *cooked* lentils - given the absorbed water - should be about 300 g.

• UnknownAX0
    UnknownAX0 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »
    UnknownAX0 wrote: »
    before cooking.

If you take 100g of dry lentils, noted as 353 cals, and you cook them, and eat ALL of the lentils you just cooked, then you will ingest those same 353 cals. Looking at the numbers you provided, the resultant weight of the *cooked* lentils - given the absorbed water - should be about 300 g.

Alright, Thanks for clearing that up.