Weight loss halted

Options
In the last 2-3 months i have been following a diet and have managed to lose 16kgs soo far. But recently the weight loss has completely stopped and i haven't lost any weight in 2 weeks. But i'm confused on what the reason may be. At first i thought maybe i had hit a weight loss plateau but then again 2 weeks ago i also started bodybuilding. My calory intake is very low from the maintenance so i really cant decrease it further. So what do u guys think? Have i hit a plateau or has my weight loss stopped due to bodybuilding? And what should i do in either case?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    it's not a plateau, it's a stall - a plateau is 6-8 weeks of doing everything right and no movement

you have a very clear reason - you have just started bodybuilding - muscles breakdown and repair during progressive lifting programmes and in order for muscle repair you retain water which pushes your scale weight up

keep doing what you're doing, don't cut too hard as you need to fuel your workouts

reassess in another month to 6 weeks - the weight will drop (it's just not a linear process)
  • Araganz
    Araganz Posts: 32 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    it's not a plateau, it's a stall - a plateau is 6-8 weeks of doing everything right and no movement

you have a very clear reason - you have just started bodybuilding - muscles breakdown and repair during progressive lifting programmes and in order for muscle repair you retain water which pushes your scale weight up

keep doing what you're doing, don't cut too hard as you need to fuel your workouts

reassess in another month to 6 weeks - the weight will drop (it's just not a linear process)

thnx for the advice, I'll keep that in mind!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    You're welcome

1 thing, excepting outliers and those new to weight resistance or teenage boys, it is extremely difficult to build muscle and lose fat at the same time
  • Araganz
    Options
    You're welcome

1 thing, excepting outliers and those new to weight resistance or teenage boys, it is extremely difficult to build muscle and lose fat at the same time

Well i just began bodybuilding 2 weeks ago and i'm also only 19
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Then now is a prime time to make some great gains B)

What's your current bodyfat level? You could look to body recomp (eating at or a touch below maintenance) as you lift

What programme are you following - suggest something like stronglifts5x5 or ice cream fitness or similar structure

And what's your protein target? aim for a minimum of 0.8-1g protein per lb of LBM
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You aren't body building at a huge deficit. At most you're mitigating muscle loss due to that deficit. Building requires the proper fueling and nutrition ... done at a surplus.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    You aren't body building at a huge deficit. At most you're mitigating muscle loss due to that deficit. Building requires the proper fueling and nutrition ... done at a surplus.

yabbut - brand new to lifting, teenage boy - I reckon he could build some - he's one of those exceptions that makes us all cry
  • Araganz
    Options

What's your current bodyfat level? You could look to body recomp (eating at or a touch below maintenance) as you lift

What programme are you following - suggest something like stronglifts5x5 or ice cream fitness or similar structure

And what's your protein target? aim for a minimum of 0.8-1g protein per lb of LBM

Well by seeing some pictures i would say my bodyfat is somewhere between 15-20%.

Currently i'm following the the bodybuilding routine from http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer.html
    But the diet is one i made up on my own and lost the 16kgs with.

As for supplements i was planning to take BCAA.

My protein intake is about about 100g a day
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    far simpler and many would think it better: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I would imagine the BCAA is less than useful

I don't know your height and weight but at 55lbs to go I would imagine 15% BF might be a little optimistic tbh

as for your diet, if you wanted specific advice (there are lots of knowledgable people here) you can open your diary to public .. but I'd just aim for the protein (0.8-1g per lb LBM) and fats (0.35g per lb bodyweight) as a minimum and get a wide range of foods, including treats in
  • brianpperkins
    Options

yabbut - brand new to lifting, teenage boy - I reckon he could build some - he's one of those exceptions that makes us all cry

Not from somebody describing their intake as "calory intake is very low from the maintenance so i really cant decrease it further." Even teenage boys need the right stuff to build muscle ... and 100g of protein per day isn't screaming proper building blocks.

Araganz wrote: »

Well by seeing some pictures i would say my bodyfat is somewhere between 15-20%.

Currently i'm following the the bodybuilding routine from http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer.html

If you have 55 lbs to lose, and most of that is fat, you aren't at 15% body fat now unless you have about 400 pounds of lean body mass right now.
  • Araganz
    Options

Not from somebody describing their intake as "calory intake is very low from the maintenance so i really cant decrease it further." Even teenage boys need the right stuff to build muscle ... and 100g of protein per day isn't screaming proper building blocks.

If you have 55 lbs to lose, and most of that is fat, you aren't at 15% body fat now unless you have about 400 pounds of lean body mass right now.

Well i used to weight 110kg 2 months ago and currently my weight is 94kg. My height is 6 feet.
    And i just guessed my bodyfat level from the pictures provided on the websites so its probably innacurate.
  • Araganz
    Options

I don't know your height and weight but at 55lbs to go I would imagine 15% BF might be a little optimistic tbh

as for your diet, if you wanted specific advice (there are lots of knowledgable people here) you can open your diary to public .. but I'd just aim for the protein (0.8-1g per lb LBM) and fats (0.35g per lb bodyweight) as a minimum and get a wide range of foods, including treats in

Well i made my diary public just now and i mostly eat chicken breast, papaya, eggs and oranges every day.
    I'll be increasing my protein intake now though, so more chicken will be added to the diet.

As for the 5x5 stronglift, it seems to me that it would require me to have quite a bit of armstrenght from the start.
  • Sued0nim
    edited April 2015
    Options

Well i made my diary public just now and i mostly eat chicken breast, papaya, eggs and oranges every day.
    I'll be increasing my protein intake now though, so more chicken will be added to the diet.

As for the 5x5 stronglift, it seems to me that it would require me to have quite a bit of armstrenght from the start.

Nope you build it up - start with just a bar - it's 20kg

Chicken isn't the only source of protein and you'll risk burning out like that

greek yogurt
    eggs
    milk
    fish, lean beef
    nuts
    pork has your BCAA in it

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-list-40-high-protein-foods.html

• Sued0nim
    Options
    sweetheart - your calorie setting is far too low for a male

1600 minimum - re-set it in MFP website, it shouldn't have let you drop below 1600

and eat back your exercise calories too

you need to preserve as much LBM as possible if you're dropping weight - lifting heavy and eating a decent amount
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Sometime over the past hour your weight loss goal changed by 22 pounds. Your diary shows that you are not coming close to eating as though you are a body building male ... some days are bordering on what appears in the diaries of the more disordered females on MFP with 470 calories as the lowest I saw over the past several weeks.

Figure out what your goal is ... make sure it is a healthy one. Eat enough to provide at least minimum nutrition if you're trying to lose weight. If you want to build muscle, you will have to eat to do it. Log your exercise and food.
  • Araganz
    Options

1600 minimum - re-set it in MFP website, it shouldn't have let you drop below 1600

you need to preserve as much LBM as possible if you're dropping weight - lifting heavy and eating a decent amount

Took your advice and changed my goal so that the calory intake is above 1600.
    And i'll be sure to log in the exercises and eat back the calories. Thnx for the tip!
  • Araganz
    Options
    Sometime over the past hour your weight loss goal changed by 22 pounds. Your diary shows that you are not coming close to eating as though you are a body building male ... some days are bordering on what appears in the diaries of the more disordered females on MFP with 470 calories as the lowest I saw over the past several weeks.

Figure out what your goal is ... make sure it is a healthy one. Eat enough to provide at least minimum nutrition if you're trying to lose weight. If you want to build muscle, you will have to eat to do it. Log your exercise and food.

After talking to people i realized that my goal was too harsh, so i changed to from 70kg to 80kgs. I also changed my calory intake my changing the goals because it was too low
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Took your advice and changed my goal so that the calory intake is above 1600.
    And i'll be sure to log in the exercises and eat back the calories. Thnx for the tip!

Excellent

You've got this!

:)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Remember not to judge your weight in too short a time period - over 6- 8 weeks judge your actual loss against your goals and adjust the amount of your exercise calories you eat back accordingly

most start by eating 50 - 75% of MFP database calories as they can overestimate

As you've been eating far too low for a few months you may well get a water weight shift over the next couple of weeks (coupled with your lifting) .. do not panic .. it's fine .. it will settle

remember 6-8 weeks
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP - take it from someone at the other end of the age spectrum that you are in the golden years for training and building strength and muscle.
    This is the time you can progress the quickest and recover from lifting the fastest.

Absolutely do not throw away this best time of your life by having an excessive calorie deficit. You have the chance to make gains that people like me with decades of training can only dream of.

Get yourself on a properly structured beginner's weight lifting program, eat sufficient protein (100g is woeful for your size), small calorie deficit (you should judge that by your rate of loss over the weeks by the way - no more than 1lb a week as a maximum IMHO).