5:2 fasting

Options
Hi
Is anyone doing this? I've just completed day 1 finishing up on 500 cals eaten/drank. I ran for 40 mins too burning 400 cals. A good 1st day I think?

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Nope. I prefer to eat.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    3:30 and you're done eating for the day? Holy cow I would be miserable.
  • asheekah
    asheekah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm in the uk, it's 8.30
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'd end up eating my leg if I did any kind of fasting.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to function like this. I get shaky and lightheaded with too few calories. That's no way to live.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    all the research I've seen says NOT to exercise on your fasting days. The 5:2 plan can work well - some of the health and wellness companies actually promote it.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I've done fasting but it was IF where I fasted from 8pm to Noon the next day, and had an 8 hour eating window (12pm - 8pm) but I still ate my calories which was almost 3000 at the time.

It didn't do anything for me. I probably still would have lost the same fat if I had dieted normally so I'm kinda biased against fasting. I think it's more or less a waste of time, but that's just my opinion.

OP it sounds like you're fasting AND under-eating. I may be wrong.
  • asheekah
    asheekah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    it's only for 2 days a week that you under-eat. The rest of the time you eat very well. I've read research that actually promotes a higher rate of fat loss by exercising (cardio) in a fasted state
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am into my second week of doing 5:2 and I love it! So far, it is really helping to control my appetite/cravings and has FINALLY helped me bust the plateau that I have been in forever.
  • FoxyMars25
    Options
    I also exercise on my two 500 calorie days-usually try to work it out so I am doing HIIT on those days and leave my strength training for days that I eat more.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I did 5:2 for about 3 months. It worked well, but I came to dread those 500 calorie days. Since you only do that 2 days a week and since they can be any 2 non-consecutive days, I found myself starting out a fasting day then deciding that it was a bad day for it, then pushing the fasting day to tomorrow, and then the next day, and then...

I tried out the 16:8 type of intermittent fasting, mentioned by another poster above, and found that it suited me much better. It has enabled me to better control hunger, surprisingly, because it turns out eating breakfast early in the morning makes me hungrier all day. Even if I do feel hungry in the morning I can ignore it because I know I can look forward to eating all my normal calories later in the day.

Looking back now, I might have done better with 5:2 if, on the fasting days, I had saved up all 500 calories for a single evening meal.

To the OP: 5:2 can work for you. When the newness wears off you may start to do what I did, but don't bail on it until you've tried some adjustments of the timing of meals and the type of foods you eat on the fasting days. Also experiment with the timing and type of exercise you do. Good luck.
  • FoxyMars25
    Options
    That is what I do, I save all of my 500 calories for dinner. Currently, my "fasting" days are Monday and Wednes. I eat dinner Sunday night and do not eat dinner again until Monday night (500 cal) and then do not eat again until Tuesday at Lunch, so I am also incorporating 16:8 in as well. I also found that breakfast makes me hungrier the rest of the day and it is best to skip it. I am just not sure if I should really do that *every* day as I workout in the mornings at 4 am. I used to eat right after my workout but I have found that makes me eat more all day long. However, I also know I should have some "fuel" after I strength train. Not sure how to work around that yet.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    FoxyMars25 wrote: »
    That is what I do, I save all of my 500 calories for dinner. Currently, my "fasting" days are Monday and Wednes. I eat dinner Sunday night and do not eat dinner again until Monday night (500 cal) and then do not eat again until Tuesday at Lunch, so I am also incorporating 16:8 in as well. I also found that breakfast makes me hungrier the rest of the day and it is best to skip it. I am just not sure if I should really do that *every* day as I workout in the mornings at 4 am. I used to eat right after my workout but I have found that makes me eat more all day long. However, I also know I should have some "fuel" after I strength train. Not sure how to work around that yet.

I have also found that it doesn't work very well on some days. I'm still working on it. Most days my husband and I only share an evening meal so it doesn't matter when or if I eat other meals. But on the weekends when we spend more time together the mismatched eating style becomes awkward. Also on days that I take a long bike ride, I need to eat during the ride even if it's outside the 8 hour window.

• sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    5:2 works great for me. Check out the groups for lots of discussion and support on this topic.
  • flinx1241
    flinx1241 Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I have lost nearly 100 lbs doing 4:3 (fasting on Monday, Wednesday and Friday), with occasional weeks that I switch to 5:2 or even 6:1 due to holidays, etc. Been doing it for about a year and half now. Love it. It sounds silly, but I actually look forward to my fasting days (600 calories), have just as much if not more energy on those days (exercising on them is every bit as easy as any other day - after a few weeks to adjust) and find them much easier to deal with than being restricted every day. And yes, I do plan on doing this in one form or another for the rest of my days. It works for me in ways that no other way of eating ever has. I love only ever having to "diet" for one day in a row. I love being able to indulge on the weekends at a BBQ or birthday party. The sort of things that used to derail me are now built into my plan.

That said, I fully recognize that it's not for everyone. My wife didn't like it one bit, and does the traditional calorie counting. Have had several friends try it after seeing my success, and only one of them stuck with it for any length of time. It's much more popular here in Europe (and even more so in the UK), as it has been highlighted on TV and in newsprint.

If you choose to try it out, I would point out that the first few weeks are predictably tough, but it quickly gets easier until it's second nature. Personally, I definitely recommend going with the majority of your calories in the evening, once you've adjusted a bit. But that's a personal preference kind of thing.

Good luck either way!
  • GlenG1969
    GlenG1969 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love it and do it as and when i want to lose a bit of lard. I do Tue and Thu and still train as normal, which is usally twice a day. I do tend to eat a little over the 600 calories but i dont beat myself up because i will burn over a 1000 in exercise alone. Its not everyones cupa tea and if i was bodybuilding i wouldnt do it. But for me in my mid forties and slowing down a bit, i find it the perfect way to diet without really dieting. Now does anyone know any three course meal options with only 200 calories?
  • victoria_smith
    victoria_smith Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I find it is working very well for me- have a look at the 5:2 page on here it is very helpful and everyone is so friendly!! :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Check out the 5:2 groups on here for more informed discussion.

Lot's of people are horrified by the idea of fasting and don't even realise that 5:2 actually results in a very moderate calorie restriction over the course of a week.

As a little experiement I recently did one of my regular two hour cycle routes (including a big climb) on a fasting day and set a PB. I couldn't have done that when I first started 5:2 but it does seem you adapt to fasted exercise over time.
  • GlenG1969
    GlenG1969 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Check out the 5:2 groups on here for more informed discussion.

Lot's of people are horrified by the idea of fasting and don't even realise that 5:2 actually results in a very moderate calorie restriction over the course of a week.

As a little experiement I recently did one of my regular two hour cycle routes (including a big climb) on a fasting day and set a PB. I couldn't have done that when I first started 5:2 but it does seem you adapt to fasted exercise over time.

I agree 100% mate. I have trained and done one sport or another since i was in my teens. I would have never thought it possible to function or complete an hard session on only 600 cals. Again i agree that your body does adapt and enable me to still train like a mad man in a semi fasted state.

• richlizzie
    richlizzie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I HAVE JUST STARTED THE 5:2 AND LIKE A LOT OF THE REPLIES I FIND IT QUITE OK. I LIKE THE IDEA OF NOT FIDDLING AROUND WITH FOOD FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS, BUR ACTUALLY SAVING UP THE CALORIES FOR A GOOD MEAL IN THE EVENING, I DO ENJOY SOUPS AND MAKE A MINESTRONE FROM THE HAIRY DIETERS WHICH IS JUST RIGHT. I TRY TO KEEP OCCUPIED, THAT SAID, BEING IMMERSED IN A GOOD READ ALSO TAKES YOUR MIND OFF FOOD. FASTING IS A PART OF MANY RELIGIONS AND I THINK IT CAN REDUCE YOUR APPETITE OVER TIME AND GIVES A VERY GOOD OPPORTUNITY TO CONSIDER WHAT YOU ARE PUTTING IN YOUR MOUTH!! MUCH OF LIFE IS ABOUT MIND OVER MATTER. YOU REALLY CAN DO THIS!!