need guy advice

Options
I'm trying to bulk up and gain some weight with muscle, I eat as clean as I can, don't like the idea of dirty bulking, don't want to gain back the fat I've lost, and I feel like I'm not doing my bench presses right

Replies

• karrysalexi
    karrysalexi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    To get big you must eat big.
  • nerdygymrat9
    nerdygymrat9 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    To get big you must eat big.

Not true, sorry Alexi as we've told you already. Dirty bulking basically means that you are in too large of a surplus with your calories. As long as your surplus is not too large so maybe 250-500 calories above maintenance, you should be able to gain muscle and not too much fat (that is what I am doing right now though I am pretty new to this lol). Bulking on all clean food is definitely difficult to do so it is okay to have not so "clean" foods when bulking (I have some ice cream every day) as long as you are able to hit your calorie goals and your macros for each day as best as you can.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to bulk up and gain some weight with muscle, I eat as clean as I can, don't like the idea of dirty bulking, don't want to gain back the fat I've lost, and I feel like I'm not doing my bench presses right

Eating "clean" in a bulk has nothing to do with whether you will gain fat or not. A clean bulk refers to a less aggressive surplus (250-500 calories over maintenance). Eat as clean as you want, but you'll still gain fat. A surplus of calories over time will lead to both muscle and fat gain, given you are lifting weights and training properly. As the poster above stated, if you are only eating micronutrient dense foods, or "clean" foods during your bulk, you may find it hard to hit your macro and caloric goals due to increased satiety. Bottom line, focus on your caloric intake, and stop worrying if certain foods will make you fat.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

Eating "clean" in a bulk has nothing to do with whether you will gain fat or not. A clean bulk refers to a less aggressive surplus (250-500 calories over maintenance). Eat as clean as you want, but you'll still gain fat. A surplus of calories over time will lead to both muscle and fat gain, given you are lifting weights and training properly. As the poster above stated, if you are only eating micronutrient dense foods, or "clean" foods during your bulk, you may find it hard to hit your macro and caloric goals due to increased satiety. Bottom line, focus on your caloric intake, and stop worrying if certain foods will make you fat.

/endthread
  • ShaneSaltzman
    ShaneSaltzman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im hAving difficulty hitting my macro's is there I'm around 700 calories under my calorie goals to gain a pound a week I'm starting to think that hitting these macros isn't really possible for me because i try to eat as much as i can and am no where close to hitting my goals. any advice?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Boom
    done
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Was going to say basically this, but Diesel always is on point.

/endthread
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

What dieselbyte said above is right. For a long time, like you, I wanted to add muscle/weight on without increasing fat. Once I finally listened to my PT, one cannot be done without the other. Like you I lost a lot of fat and didn't want to increase it again. But I got over it and now my body fat is increasing along with muscle/weight and it does not bother me.
  • nerdygymrat9
    Options

Whoa, I got it right? Yes :) Guess I am on the right track thank you for clarifying this Dieselbyte!
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Boom
    done

Jo, your input is not welcome here, he very specifically asked for "guy advice." :wink:
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    This thread is full of my FL...ha. Wonder why? No nevermind, someone asked "how to properly bulk"....makes sense.

• sjohnson__1
    Options
    Im hAving difficulty hitting my macro's is there I'm around 700 calories under my calorie goals to gain a pound a week I'm starting to think that hitting these macros isn't really possible for me because i try to eat as much as i can and am no where close to hitting my goals. any advice?

1. Eat more.
    2. Try poptarts & ice cream.
    3. Are you taking a mass gainer?
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    This thread is full of my FL...ha. Wonder why? No nevermind, someone asked "how to properly bulk"....makes sense.

Hey Shane! I can't answer because I'm not a guy :neutral:
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing Johnson :smile: .
  • nerdygymrat9
    Options
    jeichelb83 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing Johnson :smile: .

Wow yeah several people on my FL here.

I use ice cream to fill in calories. Do you eat pasta? Definitely could help fill in the gap too!

• sjohnson__1
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Hey Shane! I can't answer because I'm not a guy :neutral:

Maybe the OP mistakenly thought only guys bulk? IDK, but I would say he needs BULKING advice.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Are you talking 700 cals per day or per week? If you are 700 cals per day below a 1 lb gain then you are in a 200 cal deficit. Advice is stop trying to hit arbitrary macro goals and eat more calorie dense foods. You only need .8g/lb of body weight in protein and about .45g/lb of body weight in fat and the rest can be what you like. Carbs are your friend here.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

Boom
    done

Jo, your input is not welcome here, he very specifically asked for "guy advice." :wink:

damnit. my bad- I knew something was fishy.
  • alex2055
    alex2055 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on mass gainers I drink chocolate milk everyday eat rice n chicken and salads lots of carbs