Loosing weight while keeping muscle.

Options
Asher_Ethan
Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm pretty new to all this so I just need to know if this is at all possible. I started MFP religiously at the end of February and I've lost about 10 pounds since then. As I've lost those 10 pounds I've noticed that I can't run as hard and fast as I use to. I also notice that I can't lift as much as I use to. I feel like a good chunk of those 10 pounds were muscle. I understand that if you want to loose fat you have to be in a calorie deficit... If you want to gain muscle you have to eat more. Could I do both?

Example: 1 week not on a calorie deficit and try to lift as much as I can, the next week be in a calorie deficit and be a little cardio bunny. Or would the week off ruin all my work from the week prior?

I hope this makes sense.

I'm really in no hurry to loose (I would like to be 7 pounds lighter by the end of July just because I have a vacation then and I know lots of pictures will be taken so I would like just to look back and remember I was 150 then... But if I don't make it, it's really no big deal)

Here's the stats in case you need them:
Height - 5'9"
Weight - 157
TDEE - 2200
BMR - 1500

I usually eat 1800-2000 calories a day... I've had a couple of, "oops," days and I've also had a couple days where I forgot to eat.

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, you want to try and retain as much muscle as possible while in a calorie deficit. You do this by getting adequate amounts of protein and do some form of weightlifting.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It is not uncommon to have a dip in strength while eating in a deficit. I'm not sure what kind of lifting plan you are on but I have found that doing a strength-oriented plan (5 reps) works better for me than a plan with 8-12 reps for compound exercises when eating in a slight deficit. With the former I can have some progression or at least maintain while the latter sees me stalling early and then backsliding.

There is such thing as recomping, which is eating at maintenance and lifting heavy. The idea is that you will burn fat and build muscle. It is a long-term project, meaning that it's not something that you do for just a couple of months.
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm with you. I've added in the strong lifts 5x5 program in addition to my cardio exercise routine in the hopes of maintaining lean body mass while in deficit. I just started it last week, so I can't tell you for sure that it's the ticket, but it seems like a lot of the things I've seen recommended say to lift in deficit to retain LBM.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    knt217 wrote: »
    I'm with you. I've added in the strong lifts 5x5 program in addition to my cardio exercise routine in the hopes of maintaining lean body mass while in deficit. I just started it last week, so I can't tell you for sure that it's the ticket, but it seems like a lot of the things I've seen recommended say to lift in deficit to retain LBM.

I've been toying with the idea of doing the 5x5 program. What site did you use to get started?
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the app. It's free, and it has the videos linked on it to watch for form. There's also strong lifts 5x5 group on MFP that you can join for more help.