5:2 DIET anyone else doing this?

Options
I have lost weight on the 5:2 diet before but recently put weight back on with Christmas and winter blues etc. Just started with the 5:2 again using MFP. Anybody else doing 5:2?

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    What's 5:2 again?
  • LaceyRuth
    LaceyRuth Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Eating normally for 5 days and fasting for two, I believe
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Oh. So wait, you mean you don't eat anything for 2 days straight?

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    joejccva71 wrote: »

No, but it is very restrictive for two days (maybe close to 5-600 calories)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    joejccva71 wrote: »

No - it's technically not a fast. Women eat 500 calories 2 days a week (men eat 600) and then eat maintenance the other 5. So your entire weekly deficit comes from 2 days. Not for everybody.

OP - here are a couple of groups....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

I do 5:2 - originally started with the intent on reducing having to log everyday (didn't work). But, now I do it because I can be more consistent overall.
  • Jackie712me
    Jackie712me Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks Teabea. Yeah I find it works really well for me. I actually look forward to fast days and feel more alert. I tend to skip breakfast have a light lunch of soup or fruit then soup for dinner. You only have to be strict for 2 days a week. Plus it's scientifically proven to be good for you.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Thanks Teabea. Yeah I find it works really well for me. I actually look forward to fast days and feel more alert. I tend to skip breakfast have a light lunch of soup or fruit then soup for dinner. You only have to be strict for 2 days a week. Plus it's scientifically proven to be good for you.

Oh, do please share the science.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I don't see how it can be a sustainable, lifestyle change. Seems like it would lead to yo-yo dieting.
  • Jackie712me
    Options
    Look at the 5:2 website by Dr Michael Mosely. It is NOT yo yo dieting. I have never dieted in my life and didn't believe this would work but it does and it's good for you. My job is in a scientific field and the science behind this diet is truly eye opening. Read the book
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Its ok Jackie. A lot of people see the word fast and get a little antsy. There are people that follow various types of fasting on here and you'll get support. They know that it is the same deficit over the course of the week just as it would be if you were creating a daily deficit.

Just do it correctly and you'll get no grief ie do eat at your maintenance on up days which it sounds like you are happy to do. It's when people drive the maintenance day down that it becomes difficult to justify this WOE and so be it too.

Good luck!

• Jackie712me
    Options
    Thanks the support :)