Gaining weight

Options
2»

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I used to think like u. My sister eat what she wants and never gains. Then I had to get serious. Shes incredibly active and my portions were out of whack. Now its true if u had a broken foot u cant be active. But im sure ur family was. When your that sedentary u wont be able to eat much at all without gaining. Genetics wouldnt be the biggest issue. 3 years bed rest means ur metabolism hasnt done much in a long time. Give it some time and move in whatever ways u can
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I spend $11 on food a week! Where did you get the number $15 from theoweljoisedesigns?

i said a food scale is 15 dollars

My guess is that you eat too much calories. Measuring isn't accurate at all and most people underestimate their portion with it.
    Did you watch the video?

btw beans are very calorie dense too.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,640 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OK gang. Obviously if the OP spends under $50 a month on groceries, $15 for a scale may be an issue for her. And I really do wonder how many calories you can pack in $50 worth of food!

On the other hand, even though we all suspect that her logging is not up to par, the OP's diary is not open, so really we don't have any idea how bad/good her logging is!

Similarly we don't have a clue as to her age, height, caloric target, and deficit she has set for herself. How long she has been on MFP, etc.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    OK gang. Obviously if the OP spends under $50 a month on groceries, $15 for a scale may be an issue for her. And I really do wonder how many calories you can pack in $50 worth of food!

On the other hand, even though we all suspect that her logging is not up to par, the OP's diary is not open, so really we don't have any idea how bad/good her logging is!

Similarly we don't have a clue as to her age, height, caloric target, and deficit she has set for herself. How long she has been on MFP, etc.

When i posted my suggestion we didn't know how much she can or can not spend.
    Everybody tries to help her
    and probably it is her logging. But like i said before in my first post we need to know more.
    But till now there is no answer or open diary.

so all guess work.

• robindgibson
    robindgibson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well how do I open my diary for you then? Since you have a problem taking someone's word for it. I will open it for you I have no problem with that.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    $11 a week on food?? :huh: That's 2 cartons of milk.
    I'd be bone skinny in no time!!

OP to put it bluntly,, it's time to drop the excuses and start getting serious!!
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    Well how do I open my diary for you then? Since you have a problem taking someone's word for it. I will open it for you I have no problem with that.

i dont have a problem with believing you or not.
    I just say when you measure your food that is pretty inaccurate and can make a difference of hundreds of calories a day.

and people trying to help you here, i am not the only one who asked to open your diary.
    So no need to get snappy.

But you have a lot of good advice

adieu Im outta here.

• robindgibson
    Options
    Protein shake calorie is 190 x3 of them a day rounding to 600, then dinner I eat spinach in a bowl with blueberries and chicken then go to bed.
  • robindgibson
    Options
    I still don't know how to open this diary thing. I am sorry I don't know how. I will open it if someone wants to tell me how to open it.
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    go there -->
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
    at the bottom, select diary sharing: public
  • Nyappykim
    Nyappykim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The majority of the time, when someone has either stayed the same or gained weight, it is because they are actually consuming more calories than they realize. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. You don't need exercise. As long as you are eating less than you burn, you're good to go.

From the looks of your replies, it kinda seems like you're making excuses. Theowlhousedesigns gave a lot of excellent input about how measuring with and without a scale makes a HUGE difference in calories. I understand if you can't afford a food scale, but that doesn't mean your logging will be accurate. So when people are telling you that you are eating more than you think, do not doubt them. Even though your portion estimates tell you that you're within your calorie goals, realistically they probably aren't and you might have to cut back on your portions more.

Weight gain doesn't just appear out of no where, unless it's something medical. All you need to do is eat less than you burn.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I'm still confused how OP only spends $11 a week on food but has managed to gain weight..

Like I said before, $11 is like 2 cartons or 4L of milk
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,640 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Since you have a problem taking someone's word for it. I will open it for you I have no problem with that.
    Yo, my car is broken, it makes lots of noise near the front right. Please fix it.
    Can I have the keys to drive it around the block?
    What? Why would you need to drive my car around? It told you it makes a funny noise. Fix it already.

Age, height, current weight, goal weight will all help. Current condition of your injuries? Are you able to walk around now? Are you still in bed recovering?

Really the choices are simple:
    1. It is your genes. There is nothing you can do about it.
    OR
    2. It is your genes. There is something you can try and do about it. We might be able to help you figure out what.

Last question: do you have access to medical services? i.e. are you able to see a doctor?
    Also: do you have any access to services such as food banks/food stamps and all that jazz.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Thanks I feel like I poop already a lot though as if I clean my system out everyday every morning I feel have good system there and feel always clean. Ugggg think it's honestly genetics.

putting on body fat is down to 1) the amount of food you're eating 2) your level of activity

factors that affect weight on scale are 1) sodium in diet 2) hydration levels 3) change up in exercise 4) hormones, especially around ovulation and period

genetics - nope
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I'm still confused how OP only spends $11 a week on food but has managed to gain weight..

I'm confused as well. $11 a week? And gaining weight? I smell a rat . . .
  • Christine_72
    Options

Indeed... :huh:

• IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Indeed... :huh:

depends on what you buy, really.
    if you eat a couple of packs of flour and a tub of butter a day you'll get pretty huge, i imagine..