Constantly thinking about FOOD

Options
Someone help me plase to stop thinking about my diet, I'm obsessed and it's getting out of control. I don't need to be thinking about fool 24:7 and I'm pretty sure if I keep this up I'm going to end up snapping and screwing everything up so anyone has any advice on getting this head in check please do share. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    boobs?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that you need professional help when you think your thinking is obsessed about food.
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you thinking about? Are you just focused on "bad" food because you feel hungry all the time, or are you constantly thinking of meal plans for the week? How to eat less? I think it kind of depends on what your thoughts are as to what you should do about it or how serious it might be. How long have you been at this? It says you only have 5 pounds to lose so if you're always feeling hungry and thinking about food because of that then maybe you aren't eating enough? When you have such little weight to lose you don't want to eat at too large of a deficit. I've had eating disorders since I was 9 years old and I've spent a lot of time thinking about food and letting it control my life so if you are going in that direction then I agree to get help, but recently I don't think about food in such a negative way. I think about it because I'm interested in it and trying to find new things to make and planning out my meals which I don't think is bad. I guess it all depends on what way you are thinking about food and what you would need to do to help that.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I always think about food... I like food, I have to eat it, I like to plan my meals, I like looking forward to eating. If its interfering with your life and relationships, you might wanna see someone about it. I think its fairly normal for a lot of us on this site to think about food more than average joe
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Take a 2 weeks break and eat at maintenance
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    phxhiker wrote: »
    Someone help me plase to stop thinking about my diet, I'm obsessed and it's getting out of control. I don't need to be thinking about fool 24:7 and I'm pretty sure if I keep this up I'm going to end up snapping and screwing everything up so anyone has any advice on getting this head in check please do share. Thanks in advance.
    I agree: with a goal to lose 5lbs you probably don't need to be thinking about food or even being on a "diet" which may be what is leading your to think about food all the time in the first place. Trying to get your body to lose weight has side-effects. you may be better off at maintenance trying for a body recomp.

• MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    boobs?

This should help.

If it only helps for a minute or two, then perhaps you should introduce stamina training in to your schedule.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think about food all the time too. Which landed me in the losing weight boat :tongue:

OP what's your daily calorie goal? If it's too low it would possibly make you obsess over your next meal...
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    I always think about food... I like food, I have to eat it, I like to plan my meals, I like looking forward to eating. If its interfering with your life and relationships, you might wanna see someone about it. I think its fairly normal for a lot of us on this site to think about food more than average joe

I agree. Ive been logging for two and a half years. I love food. I think about it all the time and enjoy planning what I am going to eat each day.

• phxhiker
    phxhiker Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, you know I mostly feel guilty for being hungry. I feel like I shouldn't be hungry and then I feel a bit guilty for eating. I would like to eat less the. My daily goal but I guess I don't have to. I just have to have faith In this process I guess. I don't really eat any large meals, instead I'm constantly eating little things throughout the day.
  • blakexx3
    blakexx3 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, you know I mostly feel guilty for being hungry. I feel like I shouldn't be hungry and then I feel a bit guilty for eating. I would like to eat less the. My daily goal but I guess I don't have to. I just have to have faith In this process I guess. I don't really eat any large meals, instead I'm constantly eating little things throughout the day.

Eating larger meals may help you become more full and less obsessed about the next thing you can eat. If you constantly eat a little here and there, it may trigger you to think about food more because you're going to experience hunger more often
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that you need professional help when you think your thinking is obsessed about food.

Ehhh.... Not necessarily.

I think especially when you first start logging, you tend to be excessively focused on food as you're constantly planning what you can eat and fit into your day.

I find that once I hit my groove with calorie counting and logging, the food thoughts tend to fade into the background. It just takes a little while to figure out what meal schedule and foods will keep you feeling full and energized throughout your day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    boobs?
    YOU, I like!
    OP, you only have 5 pounds you want to lose, so you're not overweight. Are you over restricting your calories?
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Maybe your calories are too low ?
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    daniebanks wrote: »
    Maybe your calories are too low ?

This.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat your calories. And I agree too that I'm much happier when I have 3 meals instead of snacks, typically, because I'm content and not hungry and not thinking about food then... it just doesn't always work out that way for me.
  • britt01any
    britt01any Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Great article...thank you for sharing!!
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Snacking makes my scale go up. High fat, high protein, low carb makes me feel full for 4-5 hours after breakfast. Give it a try.
    Oh, and if you pre-log your food in the morning you won't have to think about it anymore.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,886 Member
    Options

Just stay at or under the recommended calories MFP gives you ... and take up a hobby that doesn't involve food.

Take a class, get some exercise, start painting or knitting, pick up a part-time job and save for a holiday somewhere warm and tropical in the middle of winter.

Much of the reason I think about food is because I'm bored. When I'm busy, I can go hours without much more than a passing thought that I might be hungry.