potassium & sodium

Options
I'm guessing my inability to loose weight is because I can't get enough potassium... Any suggestions? I can't take supplements due to meds and I'm so sick of cantaloupe and bananas!!!

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Why do you think it's that you don't have enough potassium? Not being sarcastic, it's a real question.
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Your inability to lose weight is due to eating too much.. Potassium doesn't play a role in this.
  • Missessg
    Missessg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    After logging everything and staying under my cal goal, the scale hasn't changed... I read a article from the Mayo Clinic about sodium & potassium. I have only averaged about a third of what I should have the last few weeks.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    IvanOcampo wrote: »
    Your inability to lose weight is due to eating too much.. Potassium doesn't play a role in this.

THIS.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Google foods high in potassium. There are far more than bananas and cantaloupe.

However...potassium isn't the cause of the lack of weight loss.

You also mentioned sodium. Too much will cause water retention.

If you are using the data base many entries do not list the potassium. Most people are not concerned about it. I use it to help balance the sodium since I have high blood pressure.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Missessg wrote: »
    After logging everything and staying under my cal goal, the scale hasn't changed... I read a article from the Mayo Clinic about sodium & potassium. I have only averaged about a third of what I should have the last few weeks.

Do you weigh all your food?

what are your stats?

When you dont lose weight you dont eat in a deficit.

I dont get a lot of potassium and lose weight just fine

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you are getting your nutrient information mainly from bar codes or user-inputted entries lots of foods that have potassium may not have it listed. The best way to log (at least if you eat whole foods) is to use the MFP inputted entries with the information from the USDA -- there will be no asterisk. That has the potassium entries. Since I started trying to use those whenever possible I've been consistently over the potassium goal, typically well over.

Potatoes and sweet potatoes are just a couple of many, many foods with lots of potassium.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You're probably getting a lot more potassium than you think - as others have said, most database entries, or even food labels, have the potassium info because it's not required. Potassium is in coffee, tea, fruits, vegetables, meat, dairy - so many things, but you really have to hunt around in the database to find the entries that contain all the info, including potassium.

I will agree with those who have said a lack of potassium is not the reason why your scale isn't moving - if you're not losing weight, you're not in a calorie deficit.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Most people don't get enough potassium, but that doesn't usually keep them from losing weight.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Yams, brocolli, Brussels sprouts, ect. Lots of veggies have potassium. Google is your friend
  • usernoid1
    usernoid1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Missessg wrote: »

If you think you are not taking in enough sodium and/or potassium - go directly to your primary physician. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. These are both electrolytes. I simple blood draw will give you accurate numbers on your levels and then, go from there. A consistent deficit in your electrolytes is medically dangerous.