Do you log every morsel?

Options
Do you guys log every single thing you put in your mouth? I cut up some watermelon earlier and ate a few pieces. I didn't log it. I grab an almond here and there. (we have them in a bowl on the counter). Etc...anyway, you get the idea.

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Depends. A few bites of watermelon is probably very low in calories. Those almonds, on the other hand, can add up very quickly.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,059 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log everything.

I found this site quite informative when it comes to the calories in nuts ...
    http://www.thekitchn.com/a-visual-guide-to-100-calories-of-nuts-snack-tips-from-the-kitchn-201778

From that site, I learned that 15-19 almonds adds up to 100 calories. Grabbing an almond here and there can very quickly add up to 100 cal.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I try to, and I also try and end up at least 100 under my total to account for those types of nibbles. So far it has been working for me!
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I eat like 5 mini marshmallows a day that I don't log but, I do this knowing I have to account for those cals in some way logging it or not. Only thing I eat that I don't log though. Anything over 5 gets weighed and logged.
  • PurplePoloPlayer
    PurplePoloPlayer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Not logging food is a big problem for a number of people and usually results in the 'Why am I plateauing?' threads. Gotta be honest with yourself.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    yes i log everything
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I log most things. If I can't find exactly what I have I try to find an alternative that's a close substitute. I get a bit slack with logging water, tea and coffee though.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Everything except diet coke.
  • UnknownAX0
    UnknownAX0 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    yes each and everything even if it doesn't contain any calorie like a tea bag
  • swole_elsa
    swole_elsa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your body knows about it whether you log it or not. May as well put it in there.
  • RedRockChic
    RedRockChic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will log a "serving size" of nuts or snacks, and then measure out that size and leave that in a dish for me to snack on.

I find when I do that I am more honest with myself about the "snacking" I do.. Also, I feel like if I didn't eat all of the snacks in the bowl I can always go back and reduce the intake at the end of the snacking day :)

I don't log when I swipe a sip of my boyfriends soda pop... :) Unless I get in more that two or three sips... then I log it as a third of a can :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,059 Member
    Options
    swole_elsa wrote: »
    Yes. Your body knows about it whether you log it or not. May as well put it in there.

+1

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Everything except spices (I don't measure those). Thinking that I was nibbling less than I was is how I got fat in the first place.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    It depends on my goals and the food. If I'm doing comp prep everything is logged and measured to the gram. If I'm not prepping and logging I'll be more lenient, especially with foods that aren't calorie dense (non starchy vegies for example). Calorie dense stuff I'm more likely to log as the calories add up quickly.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Nope! But I keep a mental tally of my indulgences over the day and will quick add the calories if they equal more than 100. An example would be a dozen blueberries, 2-3 small pretzels, a quarter ounce of cheese, a handful of green beans etc. I also only do this with items I have weighed in the past and have a good sense of what a portion is.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Most days, yes. But, on days when I've got a "comfortable" cushion under my calories, not logging a random piece of candy or half a dozen pistachios doesn't bother me at all.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I ate a corner that stuck to another slice of cheese when making grilled cheese for my kids. I didn't log that, because honestly it was likely less than a gram of cheese, which isn't going to break me today.

Everything else I logged was weighed out on my scale - liquids (save for water) by fluid ounce and everything else by grams.

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Generally if it's a few kj then no. Like coke zero or chewing gum.

But the more you log the more accurate and the easier it is to spot issues.