Question re: excess skin.

Options
Zeii
Zeii Posts: 89 Member
I didn't know which board to put this on, it didn't quite fit in a single one.

I am starting to lose weight again and i'm really concerned about excess skin. I have had three babies and my tummy hangs... as it's less full, i'm afraid to get an apron of skin. Are there ways to avoid that?

Replies

• beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've seen discussion after discussion and article and article on this topic. it all depends its unique to everyone. it depends on how long you were overweight and how much overweight, the kids and pregnancy factor in, and genes how elastic your skin is, and age.
    the best general tips I've gathered is all you can do to *try* and have the best chances of recovering your skin once you've lost the weight is losing slowly weight now and exercising and time. other than that its up to mother nature.

and a lot of sagging skin is mistaken for fat still present as well, FYI.
    good luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Our skin is pretty elastic. As you lose weight, your skin will shrink. Losing weight slowly is probably the best way to give yourself the best chance of not ending up with a lot of extra skin by the time you reach your goal weight.
  • MHKKAK
    MHKKAK Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    how slow is "slow" in your opinions? I've been following MFP since early March and have only lost 15 lbs. Is that considered slow? I thought I'd be able to lose 10 lbs per month....
  • hypmama1976
    hypmama1976 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I lost 100 pounds over the course of a couple years.
    Was 265. Lost 30 by giving up soda. (235). Got motivated & down to (179) with Atkins-- super quick (4 months) & my stomach & inner thighs looked like elephant skin hanging down!!! It was hideous, but hid well in clothes & eventually, it wasn't too hard to look at. Ha.
    I gained lbs after Atkins, (up to 235 again). Stayed that way for two years, but got into excercising and got down to 165. It took me two years & maintained it for a year. I looked better after diet/exercise than Atkins. The exercises and slow loss helped A LOT.
    I had babies since & I'm stuck at 203.
  • hypmama1976
    hypmama1976 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think it cut my response off. (New at the message boards(--
    Anyway- bought a Fitbit & jogging stroller. Hoping to be halfway to my old weight by Christmas.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MHKKAK wrote: »
    how slow is "slow" in your opinions? I've been following MFP since early March and have only lost 15 lbs. Is that considered slow? I thought I'd be able to lose 10 lbs per month....

That would depend on how much you have to lose. 10 pounds per month is not slow unless you have a lot of weight to lose. Even if someone is able to lose that much at first it would slow down over time as a healthy weight is approached.