Really Bad Cravings

Options
Ok I have been at this for exactly 3 weeks now and have lost 9 lbs. I have watched my caloric intake and have cut out all the bad snacking. Last night I had my first real bout of withdrawls. I know there is a family sized bag of Doritos in the cupboard. I went to bed full from eating healthy snacks after my workout. But once my head hit the pillow the Doritos is all I could think about. almost 3 hours it took me to get to sleep and shake the craving.

Does anyone else go through this and if so how can I deal with it. Not sure I can always be as strong as I was last night lol

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I would have opened the bag, poured out half a serving, and put it back. I don't eat Doritos, but doing that with potato chips=75 calories, or still well under my deficit for the day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Make room in your daily allotment and eat the Doritos.
  • veganstephanie
    veganstephanie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    eat a few if you can. If you don't have the willpower yet(I know I sure don't) then drink some water. That might help.
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    factor it in to your macros. make a treat fit.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The advice here is good - cravings usually disappear if you give in to them early (and fit them into your macros). For 'fatal-flaw' foods - pledge to keep only small quantities in the house and never buy the giant economy packets.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Make sure you always have a regular (30g?) pack in the cupboard and put it in your diary the day before if poss so it's been accounted for before you even wake up. That's what I do with chocolate/biscuits and it works a (sugary!) treat!
  • Ironic78
    Ironic78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think Doritos come in 100 calorie packs, or you can always make your own and bag some up just for you. Any snack I bring into the house gets immediately bagged into calorie controlled portions. I don't trust myself either.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    keep the doritoes and other trigger foods out of the house.
  • lairdmk
    lairdmk Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1) Don't have them in the house or 2) get the small single serving (140 calories) size and allow yourself to have it every once in awhile. Sometimes chewing minty flavored gum (sugar free) curbs cravings for me. Personally, if I try to tell myself that I absolutely can't have something it just makes me crave it that much more. So I will let myself have a small serving of what ever it is that I crave.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'd try to work the Doritos into your day, if you can.
  • BreR7906
    BreR7906 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love my chocolate! Since I started this journey I have only bought one small box of 70% dark with only 5 pieces in it. I bought it last week and there is still 2 pieces left. Hubs had one too. However, the true test has been today. My Mom bought me a bag of Lindt dark chocolate truffles. My weakness! I had one this afternoon and one after dinner. Then walked and closed my diary for the day. I am craving one so bad right this moment that I am having a drink of water and going to bed. I refuse to give in anymore!
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

This.^^^ I've had a serving of Cheetos for the past couple days. I was craving them so I just fit a 1 oz. serving of them into my calories. Denying yourself the foods you love can be a recipe for failure down the road. You can have Doritos as part of a healthy diet. You need to make an eating plan that's sustainable.

• bsdance
    bsdance Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    so the way I look at cravings is basically like you want something buy you might be satisfied with a healthier version. They have posts online such as if you're craving something salty eat pretzels which are healthier than chips. That may be a bad example but it's pretty neat because like the healthy things like almonds and fruit actually help
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

so much this ….

OP - you need to learn how to eat the foods that you enjoy in moderation. If you keep restricting them to the point of not being able to sleep for three hours because of cravings, then you are going to end up binging on said foods.

there is nothing wrong with eating Doritos, ice cream, cookies etc….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    bsdance wrote: »
    so the way I look at cravings is basically like you want something buy you might be satisfied with a healthier version. They have posts online such as if you're craving something salty eat pretzels which are healthier than chips. That may be a bad example but it's pretty neat because like the healthy things like almonds and fruit actually help

fail to see how eating pretzels would be "better" than doritos….
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    9lbs in 3 weeks is great. I think I'm in the eat the Doritos camp. Unless you plan to give up Doritos forever, try to save some calories for a serving of them. Or eat the serving before bed and make up for it in the gym or with the foods you eat tomorrow. Withholding something I really want usually just amounts to me eating more than I would have if I had just ate the damn thiings.

You got this.
  • sonianewton96
    sonianewton96 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I factor ahead of time for treats if I can't go without them and then do extra treadmill if needed. =)
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    You have cravings because you are mal nourished by not eating enough and/or not eating food. Doritos are not food! They are a double whammy, low grade gmo cornmeal soaked in refined low grade fat, both of which are poisons. Lard would be far healthier.

Malnourished? Seriously? Are you sure?

All kinds of lols here.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    9lbs in 3 weeks is great. I think I'm in the eat the Doritos camp. Unless you plan to give up Doritos forever, try to save some calories for a serving of them. Or eat the serving before bed and make up for it in the gym or with the foods you eat tomorrow. Withholding something I really want usually just amounts to me eating more than I would have if I had just ate the damn thiings.

You got this.

This! :)