Guilty feeling- Addicted to the GYM & WORKING OUT

Options
I feel guilty for going to the GYM, and leaving the kids with my husband. I feel like I should be home cooking or cleaning. I go right after work. The kids are in school ALL day.

Im only gone for about 1.5 hours. I go Every single day & on Saturday I drag the kids there. My little son hates going to the YMCA. :(

My goal Weight is 8lbs away. I feel addicted to the GYM :smile: I cant stop working out.

Replies

• Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Maybe once I reach my goal I can CALM DOWN lol
  • bherrin1
    bherrin1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think you're being a great role model for your kids, actually. You're teaching them about dedication and hard work!
    Maybe take them hiking or something on the weekend. You can work out and have family time!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,892 Member
    Options
    Could you maybe get up and go BEFORE work, that you're home in the evenings? Get rid of that guilt-trip going.

And there are far worse things to be addicted to, but when any addiction starts becoming the priority over the rest of your life it becomes unhealthy, even if the addiction is to eating healthy or exercising. The "can't stop" comment is what catches my eye. I love the gym, I want to go more often than I do, but family comes first to me.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    As a working mother myself, who also loves to exercise, I think there needs to be some balance. My solution was to (1) get a treadmill for home, so I can at least run when the kids are doing homework, napping etc, (2) try activities with the kids or at times when the kids are also busy (e.g. currently I swim when the kids are also engaged in after school activities) and (3) limit the gym visits and outdoor running to when my husband (you could use a friend or relative of babysitter) can watch the kids, usually after they are in bed, so I do not lose quality time with them.
    Nothing wrong with being addicted to exercise, but the way you describe it, it does not sound healthy for your realtionship with your kids.
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Options
    Before work is MY only option to not feeling guilty.
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Options
    Who wants to get up at 4:30 am tho?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

someone who wants to spend time with their kids after school?
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Options

someone who wants to spend time with their kids after school?

Right :smiley:

• krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've no children so I cannot relate to your specific guilty feeling; however I too have made working out a priority - rather I'm at the gym, running, biking etc. I've passed or arrived an hour later on a few girl's nights and other events just so I could get in a workout. I feel a little tinge of guilt, as I could have given up a workout to hang with the girls or whatever; but 100% of the time I'm so glad I did workout for a couple of reasons #1 I made working out a priority and it reaffirms by dedication #2 I know if I miss one workout no biggie; but missing a couple in a row - can soon spiral into a week, a month etc (for me personally) - and I rather not go there #3 usually when I do arrive at my destination I'm greeted with "no wonder you look so great" or "you're so inspiring", and I can enjoy that glass of wine "guilt free"!!!. So it's always a win-win! Plus, a few years down the road which do you think you'll be happy about... staying fit or cooking & cleaning. Let the kids enjoy time with dad and vice versa!
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options

I used to go at 5am because I had an 8am-10.30pm day and would always be too tired to go after.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

I get up at 4am, but not because of kids, rather because of work schedule.

You’re looking at this from a single pixel and not the bigger picture. Time is not the right measure of value when spending time with and taking care of family. It is quality. By getting healthier, you’re going to be able to give your family more quality and (because you’ll live longer) much, much more time than the piddly number of hours you spend at the gym. And I imagine your stress level is much better controlled and you’re a nice person to be around.

So relax. Enjoy your gym time. Then hug the stuffing your of your kids with those new muscles you’ve built.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I schedule my exercise to have minimal impact on my family life. That means exercising before work most days with maybe one or two evening or Saturday/Sunday afternoon workouts a week.

Frankly, I would be pissed if my husband started going to the gym for 90 minutes every weeknight plus on Saturdays. Our family time is already limited due to work and school and there are plenty of ways to exercise without limiting it that much further.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options

ME! I get up at 4am to go to the gym and I love it. I love the roads being empty. I love feeling like I've done more by 6am than most people do all day. I love having the gym to myself.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You have to do what works for your own family situation. For me, I go to the gym at night, after my 3 kids go to bed...or during my lunch hour if my work day isn't too busy.
  • kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I workout on my lunch as I too dont want to miss out on seeing my son in the evening/weekend! We are full time working parents so the time we have together as a family in the evening and weekend is precious!

• kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Maybe work out more efficiently? A full body compound lifting routine can take an hour 3x a week. You don't need cardio, so you can alternate w rest days and see your kids (it's not all cooking and cleaning - come on). Or take the kids for a walk or bike ride after work as your cardio/rest days.

Sorry, but I think what you're doing isn't great.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options

ME! I get up at 4am to go to the gym and I love it. I love the roads being empty. I love feeling like I've done more by 6am than most people do all day. I love having the gym to myself.

+1
    Sucks my work schedule changed and I gotta go in the evening with the normal people. Lol.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    If your husband doesn't mind watching the kids, why is it a problem?
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    This is a huge part of the reason I do most of my working out during my lunch at my job's gym. I'll also get up at the azzcrack of dawn on Saturdays or Sundays to do one long session so I can be home by 8-9am.

If the weather is agreeable, we normally go hiking or kayaking on a weekend day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You ultimately have to find balance. Fitness is important...so is spending time with your family. Also note that your weight loss is going to be more attributable to your diet that working out incessantly.

I'm pretty much a fitness buff, but I did have to find some balance. I spent a long time working out as if I were training for an event when I wasn't...this required a lot of time...a lot of time that could have otherwise been spent with my boys and my wife...a lot of time that could have otherwise been spent getting much needed things done around the house. This did ultimately start to cause issues not only with my own health (recovery issues), but family issues as well.

I am no longer training like this...I have plenty of fitness base built up to be able to go out and pick up my training if I want to participate in an event or something, I realize that I don't need to train this way year around. I've been playing with things for about a month and I couldn't be happier and I'm feeling really good and some chronic recovery issues I was having have dissipated. Basically, things look like this now.

Monday: Jog at lunch break; PM dog walk with my boys...good quality time

Tuesday: AM walk the dog; PM gym (60 minutes) weight training

Wednesday: 15-20 mile ride at lunch; PM dog walk with my boys...good quality time

Thursday: AM walk the dog; PM gym (60 minutes) weight training

Friday: 15-20 mile ride at lunch; PM dog walk with my boys...good quality time

Saturday: AM weight training (60 minutes)...rest of day dedicated to family and/or household chores

Sunday: Open. This is my rest day so I don't do anything particularly grueling...but we like to go do recreational stuff as a family...so an easy hike may be in order...or a family bike ride...etc, etc, etc. By and large this is family time. I like being active because I think it's a good influence on my kiddos...but being active as a family is more important in that RE than me just slipping out for a 4 hour ride by myself.

Prior to this, I was riding almost everyday at lunch and hitting the weight room 3-4 nights per week and spending a good 2-4 hours on the bike along on Saturday and Sunday...my current regimen is much more balanced and involves a lot more family time.