meal timing/quantity

Options
Is it better to eat one or two normal-sized meals per day or small snacks throughout the day?

Replies

• Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. I like to eat 3 meals, my smallest being breakfast and dinner, and largest being lunch.
  • 2BaNewMe2
    2BaNewMe2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. I like to eat 3 meals, my smallest being breakfast and dinner, and largest being lunch.

I find eating 3 small meals and snacks keeps my energy at more steady throughout the day. But as stated prior, depends on person.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on what you want to do and what makes you feel most satisfied. I eat three meals (400-600 calories each) and two snacks (100-200 calories each) a day.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Is it better to eat one or two normal-sized meals per day or small snacks throughout the day?

Depends on the context... assuming you're talking about weight loss and not athletic performance or something, whichever allows you to adhere to your overall diet the best.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You will have to experiment. Currently I eat breakfast at 9am, lunch at 12, a snack at 3pm, dinner at 6pm, and a bowl of popcorn at 9pm.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Better for what?
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

Better for what?

Which is better for weight loss, suppressing appetite, cutting calories without being overly hungry?

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Better for what?

Which is better for weight loss, suppressing appetite, cutting calories without being overly hungry?

Personal preference.... Trial and error works best!

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personal preference.... Trial and error works best!

agreed

I am happiest with a morning snack and bigger lunch and dinner
    on weekends I often just eat 2 big meals

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I don't miss meals ever. Large oatmeal & fruit breakfast, apple for a snack at ten. Lunch is about 500 calories and dinner is lean meat with veggies. Dinner calories are okay but wine adds a few. To answer your question I had the best weight loss success when I combined exercise (running 30 miles a week and weight lifting) and frequent snacks of fruit or tree nuts. My gut feeling is that it tricks my body into burning fuel because it knows more is on the way. Not based of fact but it works for me.
  • dieselbyte
    Options

Better for what?

Meal timing/frequency has no relevance in weight loss. Suppressing appetite and cutting calories without being hungy is personal preference/trial and error.
  • dieselbyte
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I don't miss meals ever. Large oatmeal & fruit breakfast, apple for a snack at ten. Lunch is about 500 calories and dinner is lean meat with veggies. Dinner calories are okay but wine adds a few. To answer your question I had the best weight loss success when I combined exercise (running 30 miles a week and weight lifting) and frequent snacks of fruit or tree nuts. My gut feeling is that it tricks my body into burning fuel because it knows more is on the way. Not based of fact but it works for me.

You are correct - this isn't fact.
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I eat every three hours usually. Breakfast at 7 (try to make it around 600-700calories), apple and PB and coffee at 10, lunch at 1 (trying to make it my biggest meal), snack at 4 or 4:30 depending on how long lunch took, and dinner around 7 and bed at 9! I have found this keeps me full and rarely snacking or wanting to snack. Keeps my metabolism up too!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    This is entirely personal preference- Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Do what works best for your needs.
  • Juspex
    Juspex Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 meals a day myself. Two of them are bigger and other 4 are just snacks. I eat every 2-4 hours and foods are protein rich. I've felt this has helped me alot. Never feel hungry and never eat myself too full :) though someone here on mfp started arguing with me about this calling all this false information. I've read many books and every single of them mentions eating this way :P almost got angry that time xD
  • dieselbyte
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    I eat every three hours usually. Breakfast at 7 (try to make it around 600-700calories), apple and PB and coffee at 10, lunch at 1 (trying to make it my biggest meal), snack at 4 or 4:30 depending on how long lunch took, and dinner around 7 and bed at 9! I have found this keeps me full and rarely snacking or wanting to snack. Keeps my metabolism up too!

Your metabolism is always running. Meal frequency doesn't "boost" metabolism.
  • dieselbyte
    Options
    Juspex wrote: »
    I eat 6 meals a day myself. Two of them are bigger and other 4 are just snacks. I eat every 2-4 hours and foods are protein rich. I've felt this has helped me alot. Never feel hungry and never eat myself too full :) though someone here on mfp started arguing with me about this calling all this false information. I've read many books and every single of them mentions eating this way :P almost got angry that time xD

Sorry to say, but you should read more. While 6 meals, spaced 2-4 hours apart may help you in your goals, it isn't necessary or scientific.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    It's personal.

I eat 2 meals (lunch and dinner) and snack whenever I feel like it. I usually eat up to 11:30pm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Juspex
    Juspex Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Sorry to say, but you should read more. While 6 meals, spaced 2-4 hours apart may help you in your goals, it isn't necessary or scientific.

Well...It has felt the best for me this far and that's what I've read from my books. Atleast it makes my eating somehow be easier. This is still under testing though. :) I don't want 100% true scientific facts because I think there isn't one. :) I appreciate your comment!

• dieselbyte
    Options

Well...It has felt the best for me this far and that's what I've read from my books. Atleast it makes my eating somehow be easier. This is still under testing though. :) I don't want 100% true scientific facts because I think there isn't one. :) I appreciate your comment!

And that is the most important thing. If this protocol allows you to feel satiated, and it is something you can follow long term, than it is the best for you.