slimfast

Options
is anyone using slim fast shakes to replace a meal? im not planning on following the slimfast diet. 1. I want to actually eat and 2. its to expensive, but as I work shifts im thinking maybe having a shake for my lunch or tea is a good idea?
any advice on this? is it a good idea and does it work if you don't follow the slimfast diet plan and just use the shakes?

Replies

• opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think they are 230 cals each. I used to drink them when I worked 12 hr shifts and couldn't eat while working. Now, in a similar situation I would have UFIT drinks instead which are only 166 cals and high protein. There are lots of other brands though - I buy what is cheap. I do find it acts like a meal for me :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Glass of milk, an apple and a multi vitamin is cheaper and better from a nutrition point of view. Still inferior to a balanced meal though.

Using the shakes is just a really poor way to have a low calorie meal - have a read of the ingredients and you will realise it's way inferior to actually eating food.

Working shifts doesn't stop you chewing your food and you will be chewing food for the rest of your life so a longer term view would be better IMHO.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    No we (the MFP comminity) are not using slimfast shakes for either weight loss or meal replacement. These are horrible calories. And why does working shifts keep you from have real food?

Do not do the Slim Fast or meal replacement or even drink only tea...Why do yo need to do this and as you said it is expensive and all the more not very good for you...

Why not pack a meal and take it to work? I do not understand the logic behind this all..

Eat your calories... do not drink your calories... pack something for on the go..
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I wouldnt bother with slimfast, but a meal replacement shake is up to you. Its not that much effort to be a bit organised and have some convenient snack or light meal to take with you, thats real food. Oatmeal is awesome and so many variations. I cant see why your shiftwork would make you wnat to go to shakes.
  • freesia83
    freesia83 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I tried it once for a couple of weeks, I only tried it because it was on offer. Never again, got seriously bad wind and hungry with it. Better off with real food.
  • sarahwillams0
    sarahwillams0 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well looks like I won't be doing the shakes! As I am a fussy eater, I eat no vegetables, I struggle to find food that isn't a ready meal, that I can eat within 10 minutes when I'm at work
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i actually have the ready made shakes in my refrigerator and grab one from time to time. esp if my husband and i are in a hurry, we might grab one to replace lunch, etc. they taste good to me, and are much better than grabbing a burger and fries while we are out.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well I disagree that they are "horrible" calories.

I keep a container of protein powder and a few other random food in my desk just in case I forget to bring lunch or if I planned a lunch out to eat and run out of time. I don't see anything wrong with doing it occasionally. I actually sometimes enjoy having a meal replacement shake instead of regular food sometimes. If you want to drink your calories, that is your decision.

ETA: if you do go with slim fast, try to get the high protein flavors and depending on what your fat macro goal is, mix it with 1 or 2% milk instead of the recommended skim. The higher fat/higher protein will increase the overall calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I tried Slim Fast years ago. I was hungry all the time. Sugar is a huge percentage of the calories.

http://fitblogger.ca/slim-fast-ingredients/
    "SlimFast has more sugar than a Hershey bar."

If you want something filling now & then look for something with quality ingredients. A protein shake is going to be more filling, but they are not intended as meals....bring along a small salad to have on the side. Try to work on the veggie thing (baby steps) low calorie high volume foods are filling and will help you maintain your weight loss.
  • mummyappleseed
    mummyappleseed Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I used them to loose weight initially but didn't realise just how much sugar was in them, having said that they really helped with the weight loss & since ditching them I've found it harder to loose.
    I didn't do the full plan either just a shake for breakfast high protein lunch & low fat dinner.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Ever actually read the ingredients in a can of SlimFast? Bleh....
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Well looks like I won't be doing the shakes! As I am a fussy eater, I eat no vegetables, I struggle to find food that isn't a ready meal, that I can eat within 10 minutes when I'm at work

All I can really suggest is ... learn to fix a ready meal to take with you to work. And carve out an additional 20 minutes for lunch.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    No we (the MFP comminity) are not using slimfast shakes for either weight loss or meal replacement. These are horrible calories. And why does working shifts keep you from have real food?

Do not do the Slim Fast or meal replacement or even drink only tea...Why do yo need to do this and as you said it is expensive and all the more not very good for you...

Why not pack a meal and take it to work? I do not understand the logic behind this all..

Eat your calories... do not drink your calories... pack something for on the go..

I guess this got flagged for too much "truth".

• sarahwillams0
    Options
    Look I haven't actually done it,and even if I had it wouldn't matter, I was asking for people opinions on it and if it works, unfortunately this post has turned into making snide remarks. I'll think twice about asking for advice on here again!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    You could just pack some stuff instead of slim fast . I work crazy shifts too . I bring nuts, apples, bananas, yogurt , whatever you like. There's nothing about slim fast that is great . if you'd like a shake though, why not get a better quality protein powder then slim fast ? You could pick up something decent that is way better then slim fast and bring a shaker bottle to work with you .
  • Hornsby
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Look I haven't actually done it,and even if I had it wouldn't matter, I was asking for people opinions on it and if it works, unfortunately this post has turned into making snide remarks. I'll think twice about asking for advice on here again!

You actually asked numerous questions. You asked if anyone is using them...you got some answers. You asked if it was a good idea...you got some answers. You asked for advice, which you got. Then you asked if it would work. Work for what?

Not sure what kind of advice you thought you would get though as I didn't see any snide remarks. Just truthful ones. MFP isn't a fan of meal replacement shakes as it kinda goes against the point of counting your calories.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Regular protein shakes are actually cheaper and tastier. I have not compared them to slimfast but they might be another option for you. I really like Combat Protein Powder - Cookies'nCream flavor.
  • sarahwillams0
    Options
    think ive made up my mind on this. thanks for the replies
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

You actually asked numerous questions. You asked if anyone is using them...you got some answers. You asked if it was a good idea...you got some answers. You asked for advice, which you got. Then you asked if it would work. Work for what?

Not sure what kind of advice you thought you would get though as I didn't see any snide remarks. Just truthful ones. MFP isn't a fan of meal replacement shakes as it kinda goes against the point of counting your calories.

Where did OP say she wasn't counting her calories? Why can you not count the calories in a slimfast shake? What is inherently wrong with drinking a slimfast shake a day? If she drinks one during the day, enjoys it, and stays at a deficit for weight loss, why is it a bad idea?

Also, why do you and one other poster get to dictate what the MFP community deems as right or wrong? I keep meal replacement shakes in my refrigerator and have absolutely NO issue with losing weight. Some mornings I'm running late for work and don't have time to scramble eggs and fry bacon so I grab one and go. I log it and move on.

I agree that opinions were given on the subject and there's no sense in complaining about advice being given, but please, please don't speak for all of us. Especially with backwards thinking like "don't drink your calories" from gia07.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Where did OP say she wasn't counting her calories? Why can you not count the calories in a slimfast shake? What is inherently wrong with drinking a slimfast shake a day? If she drinks one during the day, enjoys it, and stays at a deficit for weight loss, why is it a bad idea?

Also, why do you and one other poster get to dictate what the MFP community deems as right or wrong? I keep meal replacement shakes in my refrigerator and have absolutely NO issue with losing weight. Some mornings I'm running late for work and don't have time to scramble eggs and fry bacon so I grab one and go. I log it and move on.

I agree that opinions were given on the subject and there's no sense in complaining about advice being given, but please, please don't speak for all of us. Especially with backwards thinking like "don't drink your calories" from gia07.

I'm not speaking for all of you. I am speaking for the community, and in a community, majority rules. The majority of people are not fans of meal replacement shakes. As for the "drinking your calories" bit. I can agree that I don't necessarily agree with what Gia posted, but I understand what she meant. Eat food. Don't drink food, and yes, I do agree with that. If she was using Slimfast as a supplement (which it sounds like you are doing) then fine, but she is talking about replacing a meal a day with Slimfast (which is pretty crappy anyway). That's what I am not a fan of....meal replacements. Sorry you disagree.