Does your doctor talk to you about your weight?

Options

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist does, only because he's aware where I want to keep my weight and we are on high thyroid watch. If I don't want I can easily find 20lbs like that...
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I went to my doctor in December and my A1C was 7.2. I'm a type two diabetic. I'm already on Metformin. He prescribed another drug, this one stronger and I was supposed to take one every morning with food. He didn't even mention losing weight. I haven't touched this new drug. I started watching what I eat and exercising more. Now my fasting sugar is down from 120 to averaging in the upper 70's and lower 80's. I've lost several pounds since that time. I can't wait to go back in June. I sometimes think doctors are too quick to prescribe drugs when getting in shape can be more effective.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    My doctor did the opposite. I went in with some stomach issues and she essentially gave me crap. She said that on average, people can be an athelete, or a parent with a full time job, but that most can't be both. She told me that I had to decide what was more important and that perhaps my desire to run and weight train was conflicting with my ability to parent and enjoy life. (Which it isn't, but that's not something she can tell by looking at my weight and height)

Essentially, she made me feel bad for being in shape. She's never commented positively on my health. And my mother (who also sees her), who is almost 100 pounds overweight, doesn't get any grief from her - even though she's having issues with joint and back pain.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    When I registered at my new doctor I saw the nurse who took all the measurements etc, and she mentioned to me that I was in the overweight bracket, and my BMI should be a few points lower etc and advised that I could do with losing a few lbs (in a nice way). Nothing I didn't already know, but at least she had the courage to say something about it. I get the impression that most doctors are too afraid to mention it for fear of negative reactions.
  • MacMomma2013
    MacMomma2013 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Mine didn't bat an eyelash when I lost 30 lbs. in 2 years. He just asked me if I was feeling okay and if I had any concerns that he should look into.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Mine does. Always talks about how far I have come and looks up at old #s and shows them to me.

But I have been going to her for over 15 years - maybe close to 20 years.

How long have you been going to your doc?
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My childhood (basically until ~19) doctor always brought it up. It became one of those things where if I was sick, and had to see her, I'd just have to suck it up that she'd give me the "you're fat" spiel, as if I wasn't aware. My current doctor brought it up when I first visited her, and once I told her I was losing weight she just let it go. Bothers me when I'm at the doctor for strep or mono or something and they just want to talk about my weight, not... oh, I dunno, strep or mono.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I very rarely see the doctor, but I see the practice nurse regularly. I'm 73kg and BMI 27. She always "tells me off" (that's how it feels) about being overweight.

The ironic thing is that she's probably got a BMI in the mid-thirties...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    In the U.S. every time I went to a doctor for anything, my weight got taken and mentioned (killing my joints, causing me pain, might hurt my baby, etc.), but none of them ever thought to advise me on what to do and prescribe "lose weight". In Canada with my current GP, she doesn't say a thing. I've never been weighed at her office, so she takes my word when she wants to know what I weigh. I started weight loss in 2012 and have lost a lot, so the last 2 times she's asked my weight and I tell her, she gives me a sharp look that vibes me she thinks I have an ED. She also gives the annual prescription of "lose weight". I guess doctor school has "weight loss" as the #1 method to cure any disease.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've been lucky on this one. My doctor talks to me about it in a positive way and when I tell her things I'm doing to improve it, she's given me very useful information. She was the reason I learned about how important my cholesterol readings were and how to improve them. She doesn't look down on me for being the weight I am and pushes me to do better. She has talked about how she struggles with her own weight and looks to be in good shape, too, so it gives me a bit more confidence in what she says. If you are over or under weight, I think your doctor has a responsibility to talk to you about it in an open and honest way. It's been proven time and time again that weight affects many aspects of our overall health and it should be addressed as part of a routine physical.
  • castufari
    castufari Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The group I go to always mentions it except when I was between docs and had to see the PA. But my doc mentions pretty much everything - asks me if I'm still doing the same as I was doing during my last visit, how home life is, etc. Not the cheapest people to see but you get 1.5 hours of his time w/o interruption.

If your doc doesn't bring up the fact that you've lost weight, mention it to him. It can't hurt!
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Mine does mention it but only because continuing to lose weight will help with my insulin resistance & type II. I refuse to get on the office scale but will tell her how much I weighed at home that day - first thing in the morning after emptying my bladder, lol
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    My doctor never mentioned my weight when I was overweight (though she did comment on how I lost a great deal since she saw me) and it kind of bothers me in retrospect that she didn't. I think it is a Dr.'s responsibility to make you aware of your health risks and what you can do to reduce them. Of course I knew I was overweight but sometimes you need a kick in the butt and who better than from than a healthcare professional. I'm not saying she should have said "hey you're fat" but she should have said "you're overweight, these are the potential risk factors that can increase due to being overweight and maybe these are some strategies you can use to get on a healthier path".
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I talk about my weight and BF% with my doc, but I usually bring it up. They always weigh me and I ask her to measure my BF. I don't know if she would bring it up or not. Maybe not since I don't have any weight related problems. Other than too much, that is. :#
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My doctor DOES mention my weight quite often. She has asked me several times if I want to see a nutritionist and has asked me to consider bariatric surgery. I signed up for the consult for the surgery but before I even went in, I knew it was not the right decision for me.

Since then, I have started seeing a personal trainer and I've lost 9 pounds in 2 weeks (plus the 30 I had lost before that) I go back in July and I'm hoping that I will be down at least another 25.

I know that she does it from a place of concern because I do have "morbid obesity" listed in my medical records and the whole laundry list of health problems that come with it; high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, etc. (My PCP is internal medicine and she is a huge advocate for a healthy lifestyle.)

I take no offense because I know that I have a weight problem and have had for a very long time.

I agree that some doctors are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If you have a concern and your doctor is not brining it up with you, mention it! They don't know things if you don't talk about it with them.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    My doc only started talking about my weight when I became obese.
  • honeykrown
    honeykrown Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yes weight is always talked about and celebrated. she said if BMI <30 she doesnt talk much about it but when it is above 30 she goes the whole way and tell the patients what to do. Also refers to nutritionist if pt are interested. Told me to start with walking. Not all can be an athelete, that people underestimate the value of brisk walking daily
  • GM16108
    GM16108 Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't need the doctor to tell me that I need to loose or gain weight. Right now, so much information is available on internet and we should be able to manage our weight ourselves. You can calculate your BMI and find out what your weight should be. You can get % body fat measured in gym regularly.

Doctor should focus on complex issues.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My employer offers a health clinic which is free for those of us who have insurance through work. Part of the benefit is an annual physical for which we are paid a bonus. Every year some of my co-workers get mad because the clinic doc tells them that according to their height and weight they are overweight or obese. "He needs to look in the mirror, " they say and so on. It baffles me that they would be offended that a healthcare professional who is helping them set health related goals would point out the most obvious way to improve their health. When I was a smoker I didn't get mad every time he told me I should quit.

ETA: We also get a bonus for completing our goals so if they would set their goal at a modest lose 10 pounds in a year, they would get paid to do it.
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes, my doctor is awesome. We discuss everything, plus years ago I read having an open dialogue with your doc was critical. So I tend to yammer on about everything and he's listening and logging it on his computer and he'll follow-up on my next visit. I also do "mychart" which is a website that he had me sign-up for that has my medical history, Rx's, dr appts, mammograms appts etcs and it's a form of communication as well. If I have question, he'll respond by the end of that day via 'mychart'. He inquired about my weight & diet and made recommendations. My husband starting going to him a few years ago and he was in great shape, but was a smoker. After one visit my husband quit - cold turkey and he suggested my husband instead of working out 2-3 days a week to workout 4-5 days even though he was great shape - he's been going 5 days a week every since; but spends a little less time there. Now my husband goes yearly and is up-to-date on all his needed exams at 56!!! So, my doc rocks!!