If the food industry is the "apparent" issue for obesity and health issues....

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
edited April 2015 in Chit-Chat
Then why aren't incarcerated people having the same issues?

The prison system serves the lowest quality food. Processed, low grade, fatty, sodium filled, and HFCS injected. ALL the time. And yet with an average 5-15 year incarceration for most inmates, obesity statistics aren't that of the general population.

Food of course is restricted to 3 meals a day. It's not a buffet, so it's portioned out. They aren't exercising all the time to burn off the calories. They don't have daily health care. And there's lots of smoking to boot. In fact, they aren't likely meeting nutritional values essentially, so it's expected that they have chronic health issues. So why aren't these inmates dying off faster with all these issues? A prisoner is much more likely to die of violence in prison, rather than from the "bad" food they are subjected to, yet health officials and some "natural" advocates are claiming that the food industry is the culprit to the obesity epidemic.

Point is that if "bad" food is REALLY the issue for being overweight and obesity and really killing us off, then the same results should be reflected in the prison population. And it's not.
Obesity and weight issues are a DIRECT issue of intake/output. Get that under control and you'll more than likely reduce you risk of health issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    This post teaches me that if I want to live longer, I should commit a crime that serves a life sentence. I have to remember to be careful and avoid the death penalty though. Any suggestions? ;)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    This post teaches me that if I want to live longer, I should commit a crime that serves a life sentence. I have to remember to be careful and avoid the death penalty though. Any suggestions? ;)

Just keep repeat offender. Remember to carry a scale with you as well as baggies so you also get intent to distribute.
    Screen%20shot%202013-08-12%20at%209.43.43%20AM.png
  • greco16
    greco16 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Obviously there's less gin and juice in prison. /thread
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    greco16 wrote: »
    Obviously there's less gin and juice in prison. /thread
    You'd be surprised. Ever hear of PRUNO or HOOCH?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• usmcmp
    Options
    Ok. Devil's advocate. If the food is so bad, perhaps they are not eating as much because it sucks. Are they allowed to eat as much as they want or is there a limit? And perhaps they are moving around enough to offset their calorie intake. I've never been to prison, but do they make license plates and do manual labor type things there? I wonder what the percentage is of inmates that use a weight room or exercise room? I don't know.

Portion controlled food, not all you can eat (although if you have the reputation I suppose you could technically eat others food).
    img}]
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So why aren't these inmates dying off faster with all these issues?

They are. People who have been incarcerated show 25% accelerated mortality throughout their lifetimes, or an expected reduction of ten years. (http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2011/01/14/aje.kwq422.full). The difference is mostly attributable to the mosaic effects of poverty, however (think violence, drug and alcohol use, food insecurity, etc.), which makes inmates an exceptionally poor comparison with the general population.

In short, you're comparing apples to oranges.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ok, now bout this? If the food is so bad, perhaps they are not eating as much because it sucks.
    It's prison. If you don't eat what's in front of you and you don't have money for commissary (which is usually junk food anyway) you starve. Trust when I say that food is a "payment" for many things in prison.
    Are they allowed to eat as much as they want or is there a limit?
    Limited discounting buying anything from commissary.
    And perhaps they are moving around enough to offset their calorie intake.
    They are in cell most of the time. Walking around a little. Most prisons have gotten rid of weight rooms due to violence issues (using weights as weapons).
    I've never been to prison, but do they make license plates and do manual labor type things there?
    Yes there's manual labor, but people in the world do manual labor throughout the day that equals what an inmate is allowed to do (mop floors, clean, cook).
    I wonder what the percentage is of inmates that use a weight room or exercise room? I don't know.
    There's a good percentage that do body weight exercises. Hence many inmates have detailed physiques. Weight rooms again are being reduced due to violence.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Ok. Devil's advocate. If the food is so bad, perhaps they are not eating as much because it sucks. Are they allowed to eat as much as they want or is there a limit? And perhaps they are moving around enough to offset their calorie intake. I've never been to prison, but do they make license plates and do manual labor type things there? I wonder what the percentage is of inmates that use a weight room or exercise room? I don't know.

Portion controlled food, not all you can eat (although if you have the reputation I suppose you could technically eat others food).
    img}]
    Lol, lots of times that "Kosher" item is a pickle.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• missemmibelle
    missemmibelle Posts: 100 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Armed robbery at a couple of banks should do it. Maybe not a life sentence though. Just don't kill anyone and you should be in for something like 35 years or so.

That gets you only about 10 years with parole. No, to get life you have to kill someone and then plea guilty with a deal.

Stress and controlled portions are the reason obesity isn't a problem in prisons.. but if you want to talk about institutionalized food programs, you don't have to look any further than our schools.

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I lost 37 lbs in 51 days on the Incarceration Diet. I also seemed to do well dieting while going through divorces. Now that I am a happily married law abiding citizen I can't seem to keep the weight off.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So why aren't these inmates dying off faster with all these issues?

They are. People who have been incarcerated show 25% accelerated mortality throughout their lifetimes, or an expected reduction of ten years. (http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2011/01/14/aje.kwq422.full). The difference is mostly attributable to the mosaic effects of poverty, however (think violence, drug and alcohol use, food insecurity, etc.), which makes inmates an exceptionally poor comparison with the general population.

In short, you're comparing apples to oranges.
    I disagree. Physiology of inmates isn't different than that of the general population. They still eat, poop and rest like everyone else. In this sense, it's not the food that matters. It's the AMOUNT of food that they are eating versus the general population. Look at the menu above and you can see that it's not super high in calories. And of course it's not that high in nutrition or essentials either.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• usmcmp
    Options

img}]

[/url]

It's a kosher beverage, not food item. Meaning water usually.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Interesting perspective. Makes a lot of sense.
  • greco16
    greco16 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    6 servings a day of fruit / veg? Sounds good.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I lost 37 lbs in 51 days on the Incarceration Diet. I also seemed to do well dieting while going through divorces. Now that I am a happily married law abiding citizen I can't seem to keep the weight off.
    Lol, for people that are "addicted" to sugar and can't seem to lose weight, all they have to do is go up and slap a police officer. :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have worked in corrections for a very long time, so I can intelligently comment on this one. In prison inmates are typically fed around 2500-2700 calories per day. The breakdown is about 50/25/25 with carbs being the 50. Inmates on work details and in kitchen jobs can get double this. Also, inmates are allowed to purchase supplementary food items on commissary/canteen. Food is cash in prison. You get what you need with food so why eat your money.

So why are obesity rates in prison lower? Simple, if one is not fit and able to defend ones self, one is dead or enslaved. To be out of shape, is to be a potential victim. Nothing is quite so unappetizing and crave reducing as the constant thought of a sudden violent assault. Fitness in prison equals survival. Also, the prison population is younger (old inmates are 55). Additionally, the inmates have unlimited time to exercise and work out. I see inmates who think nothing of 1500-2000 burpees' daily.

What has always astounded me is people who as a lifestyle violate any and every rule of society, live under even stricter rules while incarcerated. Everything is regimented and disciplined by gangs and influential groups. When, where, and with whom, one eats, showers, shaves and *kitten* is approved and assigned by an inmate with the ability to punish. This includes workouts. they are mandatory, daily, and very intense.

If you think this is a good diet plan, you are probably right. But, when was the last time your personal trainer stabbed you in the groin multiple times with a piece of rusty steel he kept in his *kitten*?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

img}]

[/url]

It's a kosher beverage, not food item. Meaning water usually.
    Hahahaha. Didn't catch that. You sure it's not kefir?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png