What is the best diet advice you have ever gotten?

Options

Replies

• BuckyArden33
    BuckyArden33 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    scoandmur wrote: »
    Best Advice? Buy a good food scale and measure everything...you can be VERY wrong about portion sizes!!
    ^^^^^ this ^^^ i cant live without my scales now
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Eat like you want to eat the rest of your life. Unreasonable restrictions are not sustainable.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I had never really considered weight loss to be about an overall calorie deficit. I was taking it day by day (and stressing) then I read in a thread about weekly deficit.

Personally it helped me realize going over on my calories one day wasn't going to throw my entire week off. It made me feel more relaxed. I don't use it as an excuse, I use it to be less hard on myself.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    That I have to do this for me and nobody else. Nobody else is the cause for my weight gain or loss. It's all on me. And I'm worth it!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    To get a food scale.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    eat less move more

Yes - this is my mantra... Tracking is the tool I'm using to ensure that this happens...
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.

Nobody gave me that advice personally, it's a quote from Michael Pollan, but it's great.

Yes, it is a great quote.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Bj0223 wrote: »
    you didn't gain all the weight in a month, its not going to come off in a month- patience

Patience, easier said than done!
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Maries_wine_calories Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    htg20 wrote: »
    Eat like you want to eat the rest of your life. Unreasonable restrictions are not sustainable.

A billion percent agree. I think those most successful in the long term with MFP have never "dieted" a day since joining!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Don't wait until tomorow to correct yourself. Do it today.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Moderation, eat the things you like while still staying in your calorie goals. I do this and my food drifted towards healthier options on its own. And I don't have to feel guilty for enjoying a piece of cake or a bowl of ice cream.
  • hungrygurl0311
    hungrygurl0311 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was advised to eat clean.... train DIRTY!!
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    eat less move more

Yup - this ^^^
  • Bemix
    Bemix Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale! I just ordered mine. Can't wait (weight lol)!
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS have a balance in each meal. I am currently 40/40/20 (Carb/Prot/Fat) and I'm not too strict with that aspect, but focused on making sure I don't just eat carbs (big bowl of pasta for lunch w/bread). Since I've done the balancing thing....huge, HUGE difference for me. Making it through the day is much better. That was/is the best advice I have ever gotten.

That was big for me too. Plus: Eat to gain health/nutrients. Track calories to lose weight.
  • lniblack812
    lniblack812 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    One of the best one for me (besides 'buying a scale' & 'eat less/exercise more' that others have said already) is: Do what works for YOU. There are a ton of "plans" you can follow - clean eating, no carbs, IIFYM, gluten free, 21 day, calorie tracking, ect. But what it comes down to is doing what will work for you to drop the weight & keep it off. It's a trial & error thing, but once you find what works for you you'll be amazed at how easy it can be :)
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    One hour for exercise is only 4% of your day.
  • rabbit1951
    rabbit1951 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Don't drink your calories.
  • jennyonthespot
    jennyonthespot Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This post really hit home for me: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1454303/2-years-of-maintenance-130-pounds-lost

For me, the light bulbs were "Lose weight the way you'd like to maintain" and "You are already good enough".

This weight loss game is mostly mental, I find. You can't do it because you hate the way you look; you have to do it because you feel like you deserve more.