What is the best diet advice you have ever gotten?

Options

Replies

• erikaldwg
    erikaldwg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Think of it as a lifestyle change, rather than as a diet. Many think of the word "diet" negatively, and believe it means restricting themselves from food (Ex: "I can't, I'm on a diet"), but a diet is simply the kinds of food that a person habitually eats. Habitually eat healthy foods, exercise, and the weight will start falling off. I've lost 75lbs since April of 2014, and I couldn't be more excited about eating healthy and exercising. You can do it! Best of luck to you!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to do it. - that's from my personal experience.

Never say "I can't"/"Don't have time" to do something.
    You have time, you can do it - you choose not too do it!!
    You CHOOSE to watch tv after work instead of working out, you CHOOSE to eat drive thru instead of taking 20 minutes at home to make something.

Everything changes when you change how you talk to yourself:
    Don't ever say "I can't eat this" - you give control to the food.
    Instead say "I DON'T eat this"

Goofy one but: Beyonce has the same 24 hours in the day to get her S*** done - you can do it, too.

Oh, and buying a food scale was the best money I ever spent to lose weight!!

• Rockin2014
    Rockin2014 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Don't think that everything is ruined and go on a binge just because you went over your calorie goal one day. Just like you don't go and spend the rest of your money just because you went over your budget on one item.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "Don't spoil your appetite."

So no snacking or late night eating. Going back to that one rule from my childhood (in combination with low carb) has made dieting almost effortless for me.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    There is simply no other exercise, and certainly no machine, that produces the level of central nervous system activity, improved balance and coordination, skeletal loading and bone density enhancement, muscular stimulation and growth, connective tissue stress and strength, psychological demand and toughness, and overall systemic conditioning than the correctly performed full squat. -Mark Rippetoe
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Some basic mom advice: "If you aren't hungry enough to eat something healthy, you aren't hungry."

• carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    From my mother: leave the junk food in the store. From the book "The Fit-Bottomed Girls Anti-Diet" - more wisdom than I can share here. It's available on Amazon and it changed my life.
  • Lextmg86
    Lextmg86 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Log/Track 99% of what goes in your mouth
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    best advice...stop eating so much
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Throw out the scale and use a measuring tape
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    "Who can make a stronger version of yourself? Is you." - Elliot Hulse
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    "Don't spoil your appetite."

So no snacking or late night eating. Going back to that one rule from my childhood (in combination with low carb) has made dieting almost effortless for me.

Yeah, that's a good one from my childhood too. If only my mom hadn't also harped on "always clean your plate".
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food. I did so reluctantly thinking it wouldn't make any difference. That was 48lbs ago.
  • TiJoGa
    TiJoGa Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    During the stretches you feel a high motivation, cultivate strong habits because when your motivations falters (and it will) you have to rely on discipline.
  • mamabear1114
    mamabear1114 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Mine was to focus more on the way my body felt and looked, than what the scale said. I tried losing weight so many times, and was always discouraged by the scale and would just give up. I focused more on CALORIES than NUTRITION and WELLNESS and it drained me of energy and motivation completely. Don't do that no mo! ;)
  • bripowell11
    bripowell11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The best, most helpful advice I got is a tie between weigh everything, and you don't have to eat a certain way to lose weight - just less than you burn.

• bripowell11
    bripowell11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The best, most helpful advice I got is a tie between weigh everything, and you don't have to eat a certain way to lose weight - just less than you burn.

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    You can eat ANY foods as long as it fits into your daily calories.