Are you afraid to weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• DSFfit
    DSFfit Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Most of my life I've been in the 130s (I'm 5'3"). When I'm active and not obsessing too much about food I would naturally go down in the high 120s. After the birth of my third child when I was 40 years old I struggled a lot to loose weight. I was stuck at 155 for several years. It was so discouraging I quit weighing myself. Last year I started working out again intensely and I got down to 142 last I checked. But I can't weigh myself for fear the number will discourage me. I am healthier than I have been in years. And in the smallest clothing sizes of my adult life. And I feel really strong so I think I'll wait until I get the courage to weigh myself.
  • kclay1021
    kclay1021 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am always afraid to weigh myself. . .. if the scale says what I want it to say or better then will I ruin it with an unhealthy treat and spiral into a binge? If it doesnt say what I want I can start to think "whats the point?" and just go out of control. . .. and on occasion I am a sane person and I just say "oh okay" step off the scale and continue to live my life. . . . this last option doesn't happen often. . . .
  • natedoglara
    natedoglara Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Some people say weight in once a week, I do every day just curious. I am having a competition at work, we weighed in with uniforms, work boots I came in at 319 the biggest out of them all. $20 per person one month, to see who loses the most weight %. Competition started 4-15-15 to 5-15-15, today I weighed in today at 301lbs at home. I am looking for others to talk to and become workout buddies -ADD ME
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    No but I become afraid as I get into maintenance and that's why I keep gaining the same stupid 10 pounds back. Eventually I do get back on the scale though which is good- the scale is my friend, it's a tool not the enemy, lol
  • Coachconni
    Coachconni Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am afraid of weighing myself because even though I work out alot I eat alot and I don't want to know if I am fluctuating upwards. The last time I bit the bullet and got on the scale expecting the worse, I actually lost 4 lbs.

I think being afraid of weighing has everything to do with a lack of commitment.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Afraid to weigh yourself? That seems silly.

Are you afraid to know how tall you are?

It's just a number and the number can be used to determine you are heading in the right direction.

If your gaining weight or maintaining it can tell you you might need to adjust the foods you eat.

If the number is going down it may be a sign your in the right track.

Just weigh yourself. Knowing has to be better than not knowing and worrying.

You might find your losing too fast and starving your self.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am not afraid to weight myself. I am afraid of snakes.

Snakes! Why did it have to be snakes! ;)
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Kind of, but not really. I gain weight when I visit friends. I do not like that and I don't want to get on the scale because I think I will see an increase, but I also want to get on the scale to find out what I have actually done. I am visiting my friends now and I brought my scale with me. If you do not want to weigh yourself then don't. Take measurements. Use your clothes to measure if you have lost weight. That or weigh yourself once a month or every 5 weeks to see if you are on track with what this website says after you post your calories for the day.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Not me. I'm a numbers freak. I weigh often.

This. I like data. Regular weighing motivates me, but it also has the opposite effect of what you are suffering from at the moment. If I know my weight then I keep on top of it and dont worry its changed dramatically. Not knowing woul drive me mad. It depends what suits your personality. Fluctuations are irksome, but interesting.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I avoided the scale for years. I will not be making that mistake again.

I weigh daily.

Knowing that there are ups and downs to weight and that they are all normal and being at peace with them is part of the process. They are part of my long-term plans for managing my weight into maintenance.

At some point, you have to make some kind of peace with the scale to keep your eye on your weight so that you can monitor it when you're maintaining. Remember your long-term goals and always keep them in mind.
  • campdawson
    campdawson Posts: 69 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I weigh myself almost every morning and that keeps me on track. Not weighing for several years created a false sense that my burgeoning waistline was simply water weight, specifically around that time of the month. Next thing I knew I was 20 pounds overweight, then 30, 40, 50. I will always step on the scale daily. Don't be afraid.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I am nervous each time I go to step on the scale but it's the quickest way to track that I'm still losing. I can't do every day personally, the fluctuations drive me crazy. I used to weigh in on Fridays but then I changed to Sundays so my weekends would stay more under control.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    campdawson wrote: »
    I weigh myself almost every morning and that keeps me on track. Not weighing for several years created a false sense that my burgeoning waistline was simply water weight, specifically around that time of the month. Next thing I knew I was 20 pounds overweight, then 30, 40, 50. I will always step on the scale daily. Don't be afraid.

That's what happened to me...
  • BananaAssassin
    BananaAssassin Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my scale yesterday, because even though it wasn't showing any changes, I was noticing a lot of non-scale victories and better fitting with clothing that was once too tight. Trust me, the scale doesn't matter. Your main goal shouldn't be to lose weight, it should be to burn fat. Get a tape measure and judge by that.
  • suzeequu
    suzeequu Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at the same time every morning. I wait about 20 minutes after I have been up and moving. Weighing everyday for me is motivation to see I am either the same or less than the day before. Everyone has their own motivations. My best friend weighs on Saturday only because she likes to see a significant change to keep her going. I find weighing every morning helps me evaluate what I did the day before, on the rare occassion the scale is up instead of down, I can usually attribute it to something I ate the day before. Do what works for you, it is your journey to find the best path to success. good luck !
  • suzeequu
    suzeequu Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am not afraid to weight myself. I am afraid of snakes.

hahahahaha. now thats funny
  • rocknroll667
    rocknroll667 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm scared to weigh myself!!!!!!! I know whether I've really stuck to my plan or not. It's an incentive to not weigh myself and keep going for me. I feel better, more energy, look leaner and I know that scale prob didn't budge so I'll b discouraged. U can't shake society's affirmation expectations from the scale. U have to train yourself to get affirmation from yourself. Thus avoiding the scale is a win win for me as I detox out society's hold on my confidence
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    No.

Irrational fear is irrational.

See a Doc. Get help.
  • rocknroll667
    rocknroll667 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ok fine SergeantSausage. You're right. We can't avoid the scale or any reality in life. mama peach said it best above:
    I avoided the scale for years. I will not be making that mistake again.

I weigh daily.

Knowing that there are ups and downs to weight and that they are all normal and being at peace with them is part of the process. They are part of my long-term plans for managing my weight into maintenance.

At some point, you have to make some kind of peace with the scale to keep your eye on your weight so that you can monitor it when you're maintaining. Remember your long-term goals and always keep them in mind.