meal Replacement

Options
Aja86
Aja86 Posts: 9 Member
Does anyone do meal replacements? I do herbalife but I hate that it has so much soy!!! Anyone know a better one then herbalife but not as pricey as shakeology?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    No to the meal replacements.. No herbalife, no slimfast or diet shakes.. eeewwww

I choose to eat my calories and it is always something that I know I will scarf down with enjoyment...LOL :):)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement shakes don't get a lot of love here on MFP, and it makes sense when you think about it. Most people here measure food and log portions. That's what the site is designed for. Meal replacements however, are designed so you can skip all that hassle.

Yes, measuring & logging real food is a hassle...BUT I learn from it. Meal replacements don't give me any tools to work with when I get to goal. I need to figure out why I'm fat. I need to know what "normal" portions looks like. I need to know what lifestyle changes I need to make so I don't go back to being fat (again).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you must do a meal replacement, get a quality protein powder and a multivitamin and call it good. Just from that alone, you'd be better off than using herballife.
  • hillemary
    hillemary Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Orgain has some very good flavors and are extremely healthy compared to most. Amazon by the case pricing is reasonable...
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Maries_wine_calories Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I understand your question and I see the attraction to shake life.
    My work life includes being unable to "sit down" to three meals every single day, so along with eating real food calories my meals and snacks also include protein powder and/or a bar a few days a week.
    After checking lots of labels the brands I choose (Bio-Protein bars and Six Star Nutrition whey powder) each serving contributes to about 14-18% of each of my macros> I don't consider them a meal replacement but a better alternative to bingeing at another meal when I'm travelling through lunch or loading on carbs at 11pm after work.

Aja86, shakes are definately "easy" calories but do consider using grocery store components instead, and your budget will like it too. Whey protein powder and unsweetened almond milk blended with ice and fruit/chia seeds etc make a good supplemental shake...don't skip the "real food" too much, you probably aren't saving the calories you think you are. Best of luck!
  • Aja86
    Options
    Thank you all for your opinions but its not about me not eating "real" foods,because I eat real food the rest of the day, i have no desire to eat in the AM so instead of binging later in the afternoon i feel satisfied with a shake instead. Besides I am sick of eggs after a round of whole30
  • Aja86
    Options
    hillemary wrote: »
    Orgain has some very good flavors and are extremely healthy compared to most. Amazon by the case pricing is reasonable...
    Thank you!
  • Aja86
    Options
    scoandmur wrote: »
    I understand your question and I see the attraction to shake life.
    My work life includes being unable to "sit down" to three meals every single day, so along with eating real food calories my meals and snacks also include protein powder and/or a bar a few days a week.
    After checking lots of labels the brands I choose (Bio-Protein bars and Six Star Nutrition whey powder) each serving contributes to about 14-18% of each of my macros> I don't consider them a meal replacement but a better alternative to bingeing at another meal when I'm travelling through lunch or loading on carbs at 11pm after work.

Aja86, shakes are definately "easy" calories but do consider using grocery store components instead, and your budget will like it too. Whey protein powder and unsweetened almond milk blended with ice and fruit/chia seeds etc make a good supplemental shake...don't skip the "real food" too much, you probably aren't saving the calories you think you are. Best of luck!

Thank you!
  • Aja86
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    No to the meal replacements.. No herbalife, no slimfast or diet shakes.. eeewwww

I choose to eat my calories and it is always something that I know I will scarf down with enjoyment...LOL :):)

True true, thank you
  • Aja86
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Meal replacement shakes don't get a lot of love here on MFP, and it makes sense when you think about it. Most people here measure food and log portions. That's what the site is designed for. Meal replacements however, are designed so you can skip all that hassle.

Yes, measuring & logging real food is a hassle...BUT I learn from it. Meal replacements don't give me any tools to work with when I get to goal. I need to figure out why I'm fat. I need to know what "normal" portions looks like. I need to know what lifestyle changes I need to make so I don't go back to being fat (again).

I understand but logging etc is not the issue, but thank you for your opinion
  • Aja86
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If you must do a meal replacement, get a quality protein powder and a multivitamin and call it good. Just from that alone, you'd be better off than using herballife.

Thank you!
  • Aja86
    Options
    Replace a portion that will put you over your limit with a smaller portion.

Thanks☺