Serious bloat/gas - how to prevent?

Not the most lady like post here... but I'm desperate. I've been experiencing extreme gas and bloating since starting the MFP dietary goals for losing weight. It's painful, very distracting, not to mention embarrassing!

I don't understand what's triggering it - possibly the high protein? I'm eating about double-triple the amount of protein I was before, and much much less carbs.

Anyone else have this early on in their journey? Please tell me it's temporary!
Remedies? Advice? TIA!

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Not the most lady like post here... but I'm desperate. I've been experiencing extreme gas and bloating since starting the MFP dietary goals for losing weight. It's painful, very distracting, not to mention embarrassing!

I don't understand what's triggering it - possibly the high protein? I'm eating about double-triple the amount of protein I was before, and much much less carbs.

Remedies? Advice? TIA!

Are you eating lots of raw veggies? Or oats? Both of those give me horrid, painful and very smelly gas. Try steaming your veggies and/ or laying low on the oats and see if that helps (if you are indeed consuming more of them)

• badgermama220
    badgermama220 Posts: 22 Member
    BinkyBonk wrote: »

Remedies? Advice? TIA!

Are you eating lots of raw veggies? Or oats? Both of those give me horrid, painful and very smelly gas. Try steaming your veggies and/ or laying low on the oats and see if that helps (if you are indeed consuming more of them)

YES! I've been eating a ton of raw veggies - they're so low in calories that it's almost cheating :) and frankly I enjoy them. I'll try steaming them, that's a great tip. Plus then I won't be craving dips to go along anymore.

• pinklark
    pinklark Posts: 49 Member
    What are the sources of your protein?
  • badgermama220
    badgermama220 Posts: 22 Member
    pinklark wrote: »
    Lean meat - chicken/turkey, hard boiled eggs, off brand of Kashi-Go lean cereal (high protein and fiber), yogurt, hummus.

The yogurt has been a daily snack for months/years? Hummus on and off. Both of which never bothered me before.
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    You may also want to consider getting your gallbladder checked. I had those same issues for years and discovered my gallbladder was full of stones. I had it removed a month ago and no more issues!! Gallbladder issues are common in women who are overweight or who have lost a significant amount of weight. It may not be that at all, but it's worth checking out.
  • webrat_jen
    webrat_jen Posts: 35 Member
    You could try peppermint herbal tea as a way to reduce gas, but it is likely your body adapting to increased veggies in your diet, and will pass within about a week.
    Smaller meals might help.
    With dried beans you can soak them overnight, chuck the water and then boil them up to reduce bloating/gassy effects.
    i still get very flatulent around my time of the month though, no matter what i do.
  • kleighsamboer33
    kleighsamboer33 Posts: 39 Member
    some people don't process certain proteins as well. I happen to be one of them. i agree with cutting down on the veggies or steaming them. Also choose more water rich veggies in stead of ones full of fiber. drink plenty of water, add some full fat to your diet like organic grass fed butter, coconut oil, coconut butter, ect. try getting away from the hard boiled eggs for a while and the turkey. stick with chicken and add some fish in and maybe some bison, lamb, or red meat.
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    pinklark wrote: »
    Lean meat - chicken/turkey, hard boiled eggs, off brand of Kashi-Go lean cereal (high protein and fiber), yogurt, hummus.

The yogurt has been a daily snack for months/years? Hummus on and off. Both of which never bothered me before.

Hard boiled eggs can be a culprit....
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Lots of fiber = healthy happy gut bacteria = lots of farts.

It is normal, but if it is a problem try a bit of beano before high fiber meals. My boyfriend takes a pro biotic too.
  • pendii
    pendii Posts: 26 Member
    Could be the high fiber cereal. I used to eat a lot of fiber one stuff but started getting awful aches among other unpleasantries... fiber from veggies seems less offensive to my tummy then "fake" fiber in health cereals.
  • Moter98
    Moter98 Posts: 51 Member
    I second checking the high fiber cereal. For me, anything with chicory root in it will do that to me.
  • serasmommy
    serasmommy Posts: 61 Member
    I'm so glad this is here because I've been having an issue also!
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Cut back on your fiber, then slowly up your fiber intake to get your body used to it.