Warm up before weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    When I lifted in a commercial gym, I'd start with 10 min of cardiovascular as a warm up. Mostly to wake up my brain and such. Then go lift with warm up sets built in.

This is what I do. I also follow up my lifting with about 20 mins of light cardio, too.
  • zeinmr
    zeinmr Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Quote: ``To achieve "shreddedness," your body needs to use your stored fat as fuel for exercise. In order to do this, you must burn off your glycogen stores first. When you weight-train, you typically use glycogen as fuel. By doing weight-training first, you can burn the majority of your glycogen stores. Knocking out your cardio after you crush the weights will burn more fat! ``
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like to jump rope when I walk into the gym cold. Takes me about 5 minutes. If it's 85 degrees outside or I've been walking around for more than a couple of blocks, I'll sometimes just skip a general warmup.

But I never never skip warmup reps for compound lifts. That's just asking to get hurt. Running through warmup sets allow me to lift more anyways.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    zeinmr wrote: »
    Quote: ``To achieve "shreddedness," your body needs to use your stored fat as fuel for exercise. In order to do this, you must burn off your glycogen stores first. When you weight-train, you typically use glycogen as fuel. By doing weight-training first, you can burn the majority of your glycogen stores. Knocking out your cardio after you crush the weights will burn more fat! ``

That's broscience, bro. "Shredded" = low body fat, which is from a simple calorie deficit - no cardio required. Doing cardio after weights is more catabolic than doing them separately.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here's 1 reference on the subject.

http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/blog/do-you-need-to-warm-up-before-lifting/

Keep in mind this is just ONE reference but it has good info in it.