Curious what others burn for walking at speeds of 3.5 to 4 + mph

Options
13»

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    At 32y/o, and 260, I burn about 400cal/hr at 3.5mph.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »
    I powerwalk for 1 hour at around 4mph and my calorie burn is around 320 (MFP estimate it much higher).
    I'm 5,4', 133lbs and 49 yrs old.

I'm 5, 5', 150 and 47/yo and get 340 for 1 hr @ 4mph from mfp "Walking, 4.0 mph, very brisk pace". I'm an inch taller and 17 lbs heavier. Only 20 calories difference. I'm wondering if a different database is used for phones as the computers. It may be a silly question, but mfp is giving 85 cal per mile (estimate) @ 4 mph. I choose this in the database "Walking, 4.0 mph, very brisk pace for that estimate. Now i'm really curious :lol:
    Oops, i'm so sorry...i got it wrong!
    I was entering 5mph in the MFP calculator - 4mph gives me 297 cals.
    What a Numpty. :blush:

you get 297 burned for 60 @ 4 mph entering from the database (mfp) this ""Walking, 4.0 mph, very brisk pace""

I'm getting 340. Are you using the phone app or your computer? This is curious.

On the computer.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I powerwalk for 1 hour at around 4mph and my calorie burn is around 320 (MFP estimate it much higher).
    I'm 5,4', 133lbs and 49 yrs old.

I'm 5, 5', 150 and 47/yo and get 340 for 1 hr @ 4mph from mfp "Walking, 4.0 mph, very brisk pace". I'm an inch taller and 17 lbs heavier. Only 20 calories difference. I'm wondering if a different database is used for phones as the computers. It may be a silly question, but mfp is giving 85 cal per mile (estimate) @ 4 mph. I choose this in the database "Walking, 4.0 mph, very brisk pace for that estimate. Now i'm really curious :lol:
    Oops, i'm so sorry...i got it wrong!
    I was entering 5mph in the MFP calculator - 4mph gives me 297 cals.
    What a Numpty. :blush:

you get 297 burned for 60 @ 4 mph entering from the database (mfp) this ""Walking, 4.0 mph, very brisk pace""

I'm getting 340. Are you using the phone app or your computer? This is curious.

or could it be that it estimates with my current weight? In other words, because my cw is 150 @ 5, 5' it gives me a higher burn (i'm still getting that mfp overestimates and I'm accounting for that by not eating all, just curious to how it comes up with different estimates for other users)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I really think people get "too into" that number on your pedometer or even the MFP. If your goal is weight loss and you're losing, you are in your game. Don't get hung up on the calorie burn number. They aren't too accurate anyway. A good friend on MPF recommends just using your minutes as your calorie burn. 90 mins = 90 cals. Simple and you're not into any kind of "head game" with numbers that aren't accurate anyway. Works for me. :) Great luck to you in achieving your ultimate goal!
    It seems like you'd have to be a tiny, tiny person for that to any better than the other numbers. However off MapMyFitness or MFP might be, I'm gonna say I burned more than 58 calories walking 4.5 miles in 58 minutes.

To the larger point, yeah, it's much better to gauge burn in terms of how it's affecting your real-world results than to worry about what this app or that calculator says about it.
  • uvi5
    Options
    I really think people get "too into" that number on your pedometer or even the MFP. If your goal is weight loss and you're losing, you are in your game. Don't get hung up on the calorie burn number. They aren't too accurate anyway. A good friend on MPF recommends just using your minutes as your calorie burn. 90 mins = 90 cals. Simple and you're not into any kind of "head game" with numbers that aren't accurate anyway. Works for me. :) Great luck to you in achieving your ultimate goal!
    It seems like you'd have to be a tiny, tiny person for that to any better than the other numbers. However off MapMyFitness or MFP might be, I'm gonna say I burned more than 58 calories walking 4.5 miles in 58 minutes.

To the larger point, yeah, it's much better to gauge burn in terms of how it's affecting your real-world results than to worry about what this app or that calculator says about it.

I would hope your burning more that 58 cal @ 58 minutes at that rate of walking!

I agree with gauging by my results. I just like having an idea. I am loving what I'm doing and how my body is changing. I don't even go by the scale for success now. I go by what I see in the mirror, how my clothes fit, how I feel...etc. but that being said, I would like to think i'm burning more than 90 calories for 90 minutes :lol:
  • uvi5
    edited April 2015
    Options

I would end up starving my body and screwing up my LBM is i went by this. I'm already set to sedentary and get 1300 calories. Often I work out up to 3 hours in a day. I love what it does for my "head". It's better than ativan for me thats for sure. But I do need to eat to compensate for the exercise. I may still be eating too little. I'm losing size rapidly and since I have been doing weight lifting (almost a month in now @ 1.5 hours "logged at 1 hr" @ 4x/wk) my weight loss is slower, but my clothes are falling off. So, 90 cal for 90 min @ 4mph could hurt me. Not sure if that's good advice for me, but thank you anyway.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    At 3.7mph I was burning an average of 130 cals per mile.
    At 4.2mph I was burning an average of 137 cals per mile.
    At 5.4mph I was burning an average of 156 cals per mile.

This was at the height of my moonwalk training when I was fitter than I am now and weighed about 165lbs.

This was tracked with a Polar HRM and the Endomondo app (for my speeds, times etc).
    Is this gross or net?

At 6'9", 231, I burn about 70 calories a mile, net.

At 4.5 mph, MFP says I burn 996 calories an hour (221.3 calories per mile). I am doubtful.

Net. And I'm 5'7".

Over time, as my fitness improved the calorie burn decreased. And some days it was higher because I was also carrying a heavy backpack and/or walking up very steep hills.

Man I hated those hills. The worst was the hill at the end of the actual marathon when my legs were absolutely killing me!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    If I calculate using MET formulas, I'd burn ~195 calories for 30 minutes of walking at that pace (or between 1.5 and 2 miles). To be safe I'd record that in my diary as 180 calories, and then only if the rest of my day had been pretty active as well.

Ty, would you think Mfp is close for this. For my 90 minutes total at 4mph it gives 510 (170/2miles)?

I have not found MFP to be anywhere near the results I see using METs to calculate calorie burn, and even that formula isn't perfectly accurate. When I log an hour of walking (I do a 5K every Saturday) MFP gives me almost 400 calories; my formula tells me I burn more like 300 (so that's a significant difference) and I usually log 225-250.

I do stationary cycling most weekdays and that's even worse. MFP tries to give me 375 calories for 30 minutes of stationary cycling; my formula gives me more like 155, and I log 115-125. I know it sucks to hear this, but the calories MFP allots you for exercise are wildly overstated, and on top of that you're likely overestimating the intensity of your exercise. That's not a slam against you -- almost everyone does it.

So mfp gives you almost 400 burn for 3 miles (5 km) and 300 for 3 miles w/ your formula. Also, thank you for your imput. Inspires me to push it! :smiley:

Not quite, but I can see where it would be unclear. The pace (or really, the MET) I discussed would give a distance range, which is why I originally said "between 1.5 and 2 miles [in 30 minutes]." Walking in that speed range I'd cover something like 1.75 or 1.8 miles in half an hour (or between 3.5 and 3.6 miles in an hour), for which MFP would give me approximately 400 calories. For my 5K, which is 3 miles in a full hour, MFP wants to give me approximately 300. The speed difference seems negligible, but when we're talking time AND speed it adds enough distance that MFP tries to give me another 100 calories.

I'm logging mine from this in the mfp database "Walking, 4.0 mph, very brisk pace" and get 85 burnd for 15 min mile. so seems close for the 4 mph.
    Here's what I get from mfp for mph walking from 2.5 to 4 mph @ 1 mile for 15 minutes.
    xmymjbu2zq8q.jpg

That's not right - if you're putting in the same minutes for each speed, you're not getting numbers for "1 mile", you're getting numbers for four different distances. 15 minutes @ 4mph is 20 minutes @ 3mph.

And using the above numbers, 20min @ 3mph will give 75, which is well within margin of error of the 85 you're getting for 4mph. Similarly, the actual time to do a mile @ 2.5mph scales up to 81 calories, even more practically-the-same as 85.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Over time, as my fitness improved the calorie burn decreased.

No, it doesn't, fitness level has minimal bearing on calorie burn per mile walking.

If you're using an HRM for walking burns, you're living in a state of mortal sin.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Calories burned for me will not be the same for you...

Height, weight, age, stride, distance and effort will ALL be different I do have a fitbit charge.. but giving you a number based on a walk I did say yesterday will not help..way too many variables..

Agree...I use a Polar FT7 and it calculates based on my weight, height, age, and heart rate/ level of activity.
  • uvi5
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    If I calculate using MET formulas, I'd burn ~195 calories for 30 minutes of walking at that pace (or between 1.5 and 2 miles). To be safe I'd record that in my diary as 180 calories, and then only if the rest of my day had been pretty active as well.

Ty, would you think Mfp is close for this. For my 90 minutes total at 4mph it gives 510 (170/2miles)?

I have not found MFP to be anywhere near the results I see using METs to calculate calorie burn, and even that formula isn't perfectly accurate. When I log an hour of walking (I do a 5K every Saturday) MFP gives me almost 400 calories; my formula tells me I burn more like 300 (so that's a significant difference) and I usually log 225-250.

I do stationary cycling most weekdays and that's even worse. MFP tries to give me 375 calories for 30 minutes of stationary cycling; my formula gives me more like 155, and I log 115-125. I know it sucks to hear this, but the calories MFP allots you for exercise are wildly overstated, and on top of that you're likely overestimating the intensity of your exercise. That's not a slam against you -- almost everyone does it.

So mfp gives you almost 400 burn for 3 miles (5 km) and 300 for 3 miles w/ your formula. Also, thank you for your imput. Inspires me to push it! :smiley:

Not quite, but I can see where it would be unclear. The pace (or really, the MET) I discussed would give a distance range, which is why I originally said "between 1.5 and 2 miles [in 30 minutes]." Walking in that speed range I'd cover something like 1.75 or 1.8 miles in half an hour (or between 3.5 and 3.6 miles in an hour), for which MFP would give me approximately 400 calories. For my 5K, which is 3 miles in a full hour, MFP wants to give me approximately 300. The speed difference seems negligible, but when we're talking time AND speed it adds enough distance that MFP tries to give me another 100 calories.

I'm logging mine from this in the mfp database "Walking, 4.0 mph, very brisk pace" and get 85 burnd for 15 min mile. so seems close for the 4 mph.
    Here's what I get from mfp for mph walking from 2.5 to 4 mph @ 1 mile for 15 minutes.
    xmymjbu2zq8q.jpg

That's not right - if you're putting in the same minutes for each speed, you're not getting numbers for "1 mile", you're getting numbers for four different distances. 15 minutes @ 4mph is 20 minutes @ 3mph.

And using the above numbers, 20min @ 3mph will give 75, which is well within margin of error of the 85 you're getting for 4mph. Similarly, the actual time to do a mile @ 2.5mph scales up to 81 calories, even more practically-the-same as 85.

Sorry that confused me. I did not log all that for different speeds. I just selected those four and took a screen shot of what mfp gives me. For instance, I did 1/2 my walk today 45 minutes @ 4 mph, 3 miles. Mfp gave me 255 calories burned.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

This was at the height of my moonwalk training when I was fitter than I am now and weighed about 165lbs.

This was tracked with a Polar HRM and the Endomondo app (for my speeds, times etc).
    Is this gross or net?

At 4.5 mph, MFP says I burn 996 calories an hour (221.3 calories per mile). I am doubtful.

Net. And I'm 5'7".

Over time, as my fitness improved the calorie burn decreased. And some days it was higher because I was also carrying a heavy backpack and/or walking up very steep hills.

Man I hated those hills. The worst was the hill at the end of the actual marathon when my legs were absolutely killing me!
    I wonder how you can net more per mile than I do.

• Mr_Knight
    Options

Is this gross or net?

Net. And I'm 5'7".

She can't.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Height, weight, age, stride, distance and effort will ALL be different I do have a fitbit charge.. but giving you a number based on a walk I did say yesterday will not help..way too many variables..

Agree...I use a Polar FT7 and it calculates based on my weight, height, age, and heart rate/ level of activity.

I have the same Polar watch,
    So i adjust the minutes here on MFP to the amount of calories the watch gave me. And when i walk an hour exactly two days in a row even those total burned amounts are different lol.
    So anywhere between 300 and 400 at 3.5mph

• uvi5
    Options

I have the same Polar watch,
    So i adjust the minutes here on MFP to the amount of calories the watch gave me. And when i walk an hour exactly two days in a row even those total burned amounts are different lol.
    So anywhere between 300 and 400 at 3.5mph

I'm getting interested again in a device. Is this the one you have? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Polar-FT4-Female-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple-Pink/17679202 Are you happy with this. Still back and forth wether to get a tracker or not, but I am leaning on getting it now. :smiley:
  • euronorris
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Over time, as my fitness improved the calorie burn decreased.

No, it doesn't, fitness level has minimal bearing on calorie burn per mile walking.

If you're using an HRM for walking burns, you're living in a state of mortal sin.

Why not? My exertion level decreased and my heart rate stopped getting so high.

Why do you say that?
  • euronorris
    Options

Is this gross or net?

Net. And I'm 5'7".

I don't know. A variety of reasons I guess. One of which could be that my HRM isn't 100% accurate. I understand that none of them are 100%. But I do know that I continued to lose steadily at that time even though I was eating those calories back, so I'm not overly concerned if the numbers are slightly out.