shoe help please

Options
good morning! I am in need of new shoes for the gym. I am unsure of what type to buy as I do a big mix of different exercises. For the most part I weight lift every other day and I walk on the treadmill a little bit and I like to go on the elliptical as well. However at least once or twice a week I practice running / jogging a 5k.

Should I get running shoes or should I get walking shoes? Or would cross training shoes be the best way to go? What do you think?

Please let me know your best recommendations for type and brand of shoe. I appreciate all of your help!

Replies

• vypressme
    vypressme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to find one pair of shoes that would be perfect for everything, especially if you workout often and do all sorts of activities. But the only important thing is for you to be confortable in whatever it is you are wearing. Other people's opinions will of course be based on their own bodies, no two feet are alike :)

I do chuck taylors for weight training, running shoes for everything else.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If it has to be one single pair of shoes, I would probably go for running shoes. Not ideal for lifting, but I cannot imagine running a 5k in any other type of shoes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Please let me know your best recommendations for type and brand of shoe. I appreciate all of your help!

I would say that if you're running then you need a dedicated pair of shoes for that, and another for everything else.

• Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Even if I jog for just part of it? I hate running lol
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Even if I jog for just part of it? I hate running lol

Then why are you trying to run a 5k?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    what do you define as the difference between jogging and running?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Running and jogging are the same thing.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I use my running shoes for everything. Mine are specific to triathlons, but I never plan to do a triathlon in them. They were simply the most comfortable shoe I've tried on in awhile. I like a lightweight shoe that's flexible but still has some cushioning.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Exactly my point...

For some jogging seems to mean slow running, and fwiw that's probably when decent running shoes are most needed as that's the time when form is poor, the step is heavy and lots of load is applied to the joints.
  • punkahontas71
    punkahontas71 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Recently bought Mizuno wave inspire. AMAZING. the 11's are about $120 so I opted for last seasons (the 10"S) at $72. if you search around im sure they can be found for a little less
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you're running then you need a dedicated pair of shoes for that, and another for everything else.
    If you are training for or regularly running/jogging 5K, you need a dedicated running shoe. Go to a runner's store and get fitted. People have different running styles and each need a different shoe. I need an anti-pronating shoe. My first running shoes were Asics, mid-range price, and were magical. These are your outdoor shoes.

Use a different indoor shoe for the gym. Since you aren't in to heavy aerobic activity at the gym, you don't have to spend as much time picking out a shoe for this activity.

When I was doing a lot of Zumba I had my eye on a dancing style shoe that wouldn't hold me up when I did a spin.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Exactly my point...

For some jogging seems to mean slow running, and fwiw that's probably when decent running shoes are most needed as that's the time when form is poor, the step is heavy and lots of load is applied to the joints.

Saw a neat shirt the other day, "forward IS a pace!"
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    So I should be looking for a running shoe and likely a 2nd shoe for my indoor weight lifting/elliptical work outs?
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    running/jogging same difference
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Lobster1987 that's what I would do if I were in your shoes!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have running shoes that I all do is run in them. They will start to break down after all of the miles I put on them and that is when I will transition them into my "gym" shoes. They still have support for things like weight lifting and spin class just not the type of support I need for long runs with lots of miles. It has worked for me. My shins will tell the tell when it is time to transition them but they will feel fine for the other workouts.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    So I should be looking for a running shoe and likely a 2nd shoe for my indoor weight lifting/elliptical work outs?

yes
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Recently bought Mizuno wave inspire. AMAZING. the 11's are about $120 so I opted for last seasons (the 10"S) at $72. if you search around im sure they can be found for a little less

I wouldn't go about suggesting a specific shoe since everyone's feet are different.
    Also, some shoe companies make massive changes between models: Saucony Kinvara, Saucony Guide are just some I've heard about, I know Brooks has done it as well. So be careful buying last years model
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Go barefoot. One size fits all.
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Personally I go to a running specific store and buy 1 pair of shoes for the gym. Having 2 shoes at 100 bucks each is a bit much to ask especially if you are lifting light and doing elliptical. When you go to a running shoe store tell them what you are doing treadmill etc and they should evaluate your pronation and suggest a few shoes. Try them all on and pick the most comfortable. I have experience with a few brands. I like mizunos but they breakdown the fastest on me, I think new balance should die in a fire when I walk in them, but my sister loves them, and I usually end up with asics which my brother hates so definitely try on every option and see what works for you. And be sure to buy a shoe you like since you will be running/jogging/walking in them this is one area of my gym items that I am very picky about since the shoe will make your foot move different if you pronate a great deal so make sure you love them before you walk out. A good running store will have a treadmill you can try the shoes out on for a bit.