Jalapeno Lovers!

Options

Replies

• jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i mix them in yogurt add garlic powder chilli powder and dried onions and i eat them with chips
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I freakin love Jalapeno's and this thread is making me seriously drool.

Unfortunately, my backside doesn't like them anymore and I have to limit the spice :sad:
  • papillon0128
    papillon0128 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We too love to eat Jalapeno peppers also and do so nearly every day. We like them cooked or raw in soups and chili and raw on nearly every kind of sandwich you can think of. They are also very good cooked in omelets and with eggs for breakfast meals and delicious placed raw in egg, tuna and chicken salads. You can add them to pot roasts and casseroles to cook with the veggies you add for a mildly spicy twist. Jalapenos are very good cooked until soft with onions and added to your favorite sandwich, burrito or potato dish. We grow our own in our vegetable garden also and every year I use our home grown tomatoes, onions and peppers to can salsa to use throughout the year. For us the sky is the limit with Jalapenos !
  • Rangerz
    Rangerz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love them in tuna salad with some onion, celery and and a little low cal mayo...roll em up in a lettuce leaf and I am a happy gal!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Jalapenos are almost my favorite pepper. I grew a bunch in our garden last year and we had a very good crop. This year I am growing habaneros as I like it hot.

Try planting a habanero next to your jalepenos. It will kick up your jalepenos a notch or 10 due to cross pollination (I did this 2 years ago and our jalepenos about blew our head off! :laugh: )
  • TS65
    Options
    I have 9 plants in my garden waiting to grow. At the end of the year, I can them - and then add them to pretty much everything - chili, soups, mexican, etc. My husband and SD will eat them by the jar.
  • TS65
    Options
    I love jalapenos, would eat them raw all day if I could! :heart:

Who else out there is a jalapeno lover and how to you cook them or with them? What's your favorite dish?

Of course, you have the classic bacon wrapped smoked jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese (not so healthy though), but I also top my salads with them, toss them in jarred salsa, throw them in soup, anything. I also grow my own, so they are extra spicey and I have 20-30 on hand at any given time.

Can't wait to hear your ideas!

I grew some last year and they were not so hot/spicy. I just planted 4 plants today. What am I doing wrong? Last year out of 3 plants I got like 4 peppers off of that many plants. What's the secret to growing them??? I am in Indiana btw.

The higher your soil content is with sulphur the hotter your plants. Add some sulpher to your soil. Also, you could plant a habanero plant next to it - the cross pollenation will increase the heat of your peppers.
  • michelleisgettinfit
    Options
    love love love jalepeno's... gonna have to try them with peanut butter since i love that too.
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    Interesting fact... Jalapenos are Chalked full of Vitamine C! which is GREAT! they have more Vitamin C in one Pepper, than there is in one orange.

I like them stuffed with peanut butter... If you are short on calories this is the way to go!

really? peanut butter, never heard or tried that before, but now I'm curious.... :smile:
  • jabbogurl
    Options

Who else out there is a jalapeno lover and how to you cook them or with them? What's your favorite dish?

Of course, you have the classic bacon wrapped smoked jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese (not so healthy though), but I also top my salads with them, toss them in jarred salsa, throw them in soup, anything. I also grow my own, so they are extra spicey and I have 20-30 on hand at any given time.

I grew some last year and they were not so hot/spicy. I just planted 4 plants today. What am I doing wrong? Last year out of 3 plants I got like 4 peppers off of that many plants. What's the secret to growing them??? I am in Indiana btw.

I keep mine in the full sun and make sure the pot they are in has drain holes so they don't drown, although they do love water, so don't underwater them. I also live in Orlando, so, my plant is more of a bush now with a thick woody stem, about 3-4 feet tall. I staked it to make sure it grew straight. I've had it for about a year now and I think it keeps getting more and more spicy!
  • jabbogurl
    Options
    Also just got an idea from reading all of your posts, how about stuffing them with mashed potatos, then just a little cheese, wrapping with turkey bacon and smoking them that way! That way there's a filler, but its not cream cheese. I've also stuffed them with a breading mixture containing diced jalapenos, cajun chicken sausage and onions. Yum
  • redfletch
    redfletch Posts: 8
    Options
    I cook them in almost everything they will go with...recently moved to habeneros....Soooo good!...love the sweat!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Healthy jalapeño poppers!

Take a jalapeño, cut it lengthwise, take out seeds and ribs, stuff it with fat free cream cheese, top it with a raw shrimp, wrap it in 1/2 a piece of turkey bacon or procciuto! Bake at 400 til tender or BBQ til tender. Absolutely delicious!!
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I eat them sliced most of the time with any meal. They are great grilled with a little italian dressing.

Serranno betters are even better. I just started picking up habaneros...got to be real careful with those. :laugh:
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Jalapeno and mushroom stuffed pastries.

Sautee the jalapeno with mushrooms, stir in a little cream cheese and jack cheese, roll it up in prepared crescent dough and bake.

omnomnomnom!
  • InfamousQ
    InfamousQ Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I love them in my sandwich and other foods that they can kick it up a notch or two...
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Oh I love my jalapenos! True Texas girl here. The best is the poppers, but I love them as a pizza topping as well.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I like them sliced in soups with broth, shrimp, frozen wontons and whatever veggies I have on hand. And I LOVE fresh salsa!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jalapenos!! I put them in anything and everything. It always gives it a little bit of spice. I also put crushed red pepper on just about anything. I also started using habaneros as well and banana peppers!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

I eat them the same way. Yummy! My husband eats them raw. We also add them to most of our dinner dishes too.