I want pizza!

Options

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Eat the pizza! I tend to look at my 7 day calorie average vs the daily, and I make up for the pizza binge throughout the week. I think depriving yourself of something you want is not sustainable for life.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I'm having Costco's deep dish pizza for dinner tonight--1100 calories for the amount I'll eat. Easily offset by the amount of calories I burned working out in the yard all day.
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Me too... and I'm having some. I don't trust the numbers in the database and know it will throw me over for the day. It's worth it, one meal isn't going to wreck my life or goals. :)
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's good to have wants. I want a baby sasquatch riding a Pegasus through a rainbow field of ligers while eating a chocolate chip ice cream cone topped with sprinkles made from angel dandruff. I can't have that, so I am having pizza for dinner. Budget it, eat it, burp, repeat.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    It's good to have wants. I want a baby sasquatch riding a Pegasus through a rainbow field of ligers while eating a chocolate chip ice cream cone topped with sprinkles made from angel dandruff. I can't have that, so I am having pizza for dinner. Budget it, eat it, burp, repeat.

I like you.
  • tessmarye
    tessmarye Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Pizza is one thing I won't give up - I've just changed what kinds of pizza I eat. Instead of deep dish or thick crusted pepperoni pizzas, I now get Newman's Own White pizzas and there are some other - Roasted veggie pizzas and roasted chicken BBQ - and also making your own using tortillas or some other flat breads (whole wheat) work as well. Don't deny yourself completely of the things you love to eat or you'll just end up binge eating. Just watch your portion sizes, fat and sugar contents - make informed choices when searching for replacements that taste great - it leads to guilt free eating! Good luck!
  • jmphillips3
    jmphillips3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The walmart great value dry crust mix, is something around 60 cents, buy generic sauce, generic cheese and any toppings you find needed. Wa-la homemade yummy pizza.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My bigger issue is time & money. I don't make much. And food stamps don't cover all of our groceries month to month. No time to coupon and frankly generic is usually cheaper even with a coupon. Recipes that are quick and easy usually aren't healthy & /or bland.
    Thanks for the English muffin idea. Sounds like a decent alternative

Dollar store - little box of flour
    Dollar store - canned tomato sauce
    Grocery store - Yeast (3 pack, it's a bargain for about a dollar)
    Grocery store - block of mozzarella (about 3.00 at my local store)

6 bucks and it will make you more than one pizza. You can freeze the leftover dough, cheese, AND sauce.

Mine comes out to about 430 calories per servings (an entire little pizza) that is plenty filling.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    My bigger issue is time & money. I don't make much. And food stamps don't cover all of our groceries month to month. No time to coupon and frankly generic is usually cheaper even with a coupon. Recipes that are quick and easy usually aren't healthy & /or bland.
    Thanks for the English muffin idea. Sounds like a decent alternative
    I also disagree. You can easily coupon without putting much effort into it. There are TONS of blogs out there that do 'coupon matchups' for you. You can easily google them. For me, it'd be "Shoprite coupon matchups", cause I shop at Shoprite. I shop weekly every Sunday so that I can get good sales matched with my coupons. I spend *maybe* 15 minutes on Saturday night clipping my coupons and making my grocery list.

As for recipes being healthy, I'm going to say everything can be healthy, so long as you use moderation and portion control. As for bland, that's on you to spice it up to your liking.

Don't use time as an excuse. If it's important to you, you make time.

As for pizza, eat it if you want it, fit it into your calorie goal. If you start cutting things out, you may find yourself seeing red until you can't take it anymore and just go on a binge. Don't go down that path.

Everything in moderation.
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Having just read the whole thread, now I feel like an *kitten*. I am sorry Brittany, I hope someone gives you some useful help.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Walmart sells boxes of four individual-sized frozen pizzas. They cost about $4 each. One of those and a small salad usually fills me up pretty well for lunch, for about 450 to 500 calories, depending on the style of pizza and what I put in my salad. They taste pretty good--not pizzeria pizza, but if you spray your baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray before putting your pizza in the oven, it's a nice alternative to a sandwich.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    Make your own. It's inexpensive, tastes a heck of a lot better, and you have more control over what you have.

Pair a couple pieces with a big salad so you still get the pizza, but can control the calories a bit better for the whole meal.

Set up your day so you can have what you want.

The number one thing not to do (in my opinion)? Ignore the craving. When I try to do that, then I end up binging on it later. Better to have it when I crave it and have more willpower!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I love the Budget Bytes blog. I searched pizza for you. I haven't made any of these, but every recipe I've tried from her has come out well. Maybe this will give you some ideas on how to satisfy your craving within your budget.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Really wanting pizza. 390 a slice? Not worth it. I'm constantly hungry. I eat well, small portions more often & healthy.
    Still hungry, and I have seen I'm more bi tchy & short tempered when I am.
    Suggestions friends?

make your own. I can make a small personal pizza that is just over that in calories for the whole thing. I made a 7" buffalo chicken pizza that was 490 for the whole thing the other day. I've also made veggie pizza's that have come in under 300 calories.
  • brittanyhosmannmiller
    Options
    Pita pizzas are the most like pizza crusts to me. I probably make them once a week for my little one for dinner. Broil a pita for a few minutes until crisp, take it out, flip it over, top it with sauce and toppings, and broil until cheese is melted. Flatout light or tortillas also work the same way, but are not as "doughy" to me - still delicious!
    Make your own dough? It's what I do.

Aside from that - why are you hungry all the time? What do you have to goal on here set at? How many calories a day do you eat?
    I have 1200 but always strive to be under even when I earn more with exercise. I have occasionally used some when I want to have a treat. But I have guilt anyways over every aspect of my life.

• brittanyhosmannmiller
    Options

Oh, I couldn't agree less. Where are you getting recipes?

Pizza is pretty cheap to make yourself. Flour, yeast, tomato sauce, bargain brand cheese, these things are not expensive. You can easily use frozen vegetables to top it, since the vegetables will be cooked anyway.

Dry beans and rice do take time to cook, but very little prep time and are very healthy. Again, frozen vegetables will round out the meal nicely.

Frozen fruit and old fashioned oats and a little sugar can make a delicious and healthy dessert in just a few minutes.

Frozen fruits and vegetables, pasta, rice, beans, eggs. These are cheap and healthy staple foods. Buy fresh produce when it's on sale. Stock up on meat/fish when it's on sale and freeze it. Make soups, chilis, stews and freeze them for quick premade meals, rather buying expensive nutrient poor premade meals from the store.

I appreciate yours and everyone's input. I'll take then all into consideration. Me and my son used to make homage pizzas alot. Either homemade crust or use biscuit dough. I just always see bread as "bad". I found a frozen pizza by digornio ate half and was just over 300!
    I usually get my recipes from pinterest. I use to be on there way too much. Seems things pile up on me as the years go by. Always more to do and more I could be doing. Single parenting is rough. I also have bipolar II disorder so extreme depression alot makes me not want to do much of anything. Working on it all. I need to be a healthier momma for my boy. The healthier eating and fitness is rough and time consuming but I'm feeling much better in the short amount of time I've put the effort in this time around.
    thanks again everyone!
  • chelsmaee7
    chelsmaee7 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I always thought I had to starve and eat food I hated all the time to lose weight but I always failed doing that. I've now learned that I can eat pizza, just have to fit it into my calories for the day. I actually ate an entire personal size pizza the other day.. It was a quesadilla flavored pizza, 300 some calories, and only $1! I would definitely look at some personal size pizza options or make your own. My son loves being able to make his "own" pizza. I also have a smaller monthly budget for food but it helps to look for "discount" items.. Most stores where I live seem to have a cart full of discount items that changes every day.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    When I get that craving for pizza, I just have pizza and fit it in. I will also make my own using the Flatout flatbread for crust. Super thin and crispy.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    the personal Digorno pizzas are only 300 calories (I had one last night :p )
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I found a frozen pizza by digornio ate half and was just over 300!

Hey, good job! I'm glad you found something that worked for you, and I sincerely hope you enjoyed every bite.