First post--40 pounds down and nobody is noticing!

Options
2»

Replies

• elizabethcook5
    elizabethcook5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Do not let anyone rain on your parade. You know you lost it and it will show eventually. Those that see you everyday can't really see the change but I bet if you posted pics we would be able to see the difference. Do not get discouraged keep it up
  • willbehot2015
    willbehot2015 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    At work it is very tricky to comment on physical appearance; don't take it personally. Even a compliment can and someone in HR. Plus if you are not telling people about it they could think you're sick and the last thing you want to do is complement someone on their weight loss if they're sick! The boyfriend - well maybe he just doesn't know what to say? Are you being very vocal with him about your journey? I am with my boyfriend and he's supportive but not really saying much in general on his own. I also lost 40 pounds since mid-Nov (75 more to go) and it's clear something about me is changing though until I get new clothes it won't be as obvious.
  • rdlewis123
    rdlewis123 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am 53 pounds down and have lost 6 pant sizes ( from 18 to 6). The only people who really notice are my trainers at the gym. My day to day peeps have never said a word. Even my husband rarely comments. Discouraging, but at the same time I FEEL BETTER ABOUT MYSELF! Sometimes you have to be your best cheerleader.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    rdlewis123 wrote: »
    at the same time I FEEL BETTER ABOUT MYSELF! Sometimes you have to be your best cheerleader.

Absolutely!

I'd lost about 50 pounds before the first non-family member noticed, or said something. Many people are reluctant to bring up weight, or pass out compliments of any sort for that matter. Some who see us regularly simply don't notice change. But since then I've had more and more people noticing and I won't say it isn't gratifying.

Even when my weight loss appeared to be a secret to the world, I could tell there were lots of changes in me, some of which wouldn't be obvious to others. Being able to pull in my belt four notches and having all my pants sit loose around my waist for the first time in many years was one change more noticeable to me than others. Hey the biggest change no one but me would notice is that I could see my toes again while standing up straight. Who knew!

Most importantly I feel great, have lots of energy, and know I'm on the right path - there is lots to look forward to @elfkinbaby so don't despair, keep up the great work and people will notice.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    At work it is very tricky to comment on physical appearance; don't take it personally. Even a compliment can and someone in HR.

This for real. I would not comment on someone's appearance in the workplace if they showed up missing a limb and spraying blood all over the place. It's just not appropriate.

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I'd mention the missing limb and blood spraying all over the place. Could be a health hazard! :smile:
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Pretty sure I'd mention the missing limb and blood spraying all over the place. Could be a health hazard! :smile:

Well, okay, in cases of actual spraying blood I might drop a tactful email to HR. But I still wouldn't mention it to the actual person because they might be a zombie and for all I know that's a protected class.
  • KELLYONE
    KELLYONE Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss!! It's funny our weights are nearly exactly the same. I am now 229 lbs and have lost 40 lbs and so few people have said anything. Mostly just my children and my mother. I had one cousin say wow under his breath as I came in the room for Christmas. But I still don't know if he was talking about my weight loss. Lol! And yep I have gotten new clothes 2 sizes smaller lol. But in the end this is my weight loss and how cool will that be one day when I reach my goal. Keep going forward they will notice but more importantly, you will see it yourself :)
  • heathervazquez75
    heathervazquez75 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect people to say much. Drop the expectations! I asked my mother in law if she can tell that I lost some weight and she said she couldn't tell. So then I went and asked my friends and they swore they could tell. I made a big fuss and said I love you so much!!!! But as far as co workers....I think people are really careful what they say at work these days. Don't take it personal! Share some NSVS with this community! Sometimes those are better things to focus on! If your butt is getting flat the do squats and butt strengthening exercises. If you tummy is not progessing do Pilates! Stick with your goals and no matter what stay determined to not gain back the weight that yo fought so hard to lose!
  • heathervazquez75
    heathervazquez75 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect people to say much. Drop the expectations! I asked my mother in law if she can tell that I lost some weight and she said she couldn't tell. So then I went and asked my friends and they swore they could tell. I made a big fuss and said I love you so much!!!! But as far as co workers....I think people are really careful what they say at work these days. Don't take it personal! Share some NSVS with this community! Sometimes those are better things to focus on! If your butt is getting flat the do squats and butt strengthening exercises. If you tummy is not progessing do Pilates! Stick with your goals and no matter what stay determined to not gain back the weight that yo fought so hard to lose!
  • Hulbert0089
    Hulbert0089 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I think part of it is that people are cautious to whom they mention potential weight loss fearing it's taboo to talk about their weight. Particularly women.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i have to lose more before people will notice but I know because my clothes are looser and I am wearing some things that are a smaller size. A few of my closest friends have told me they can see the loss when I mention it.
    I'm actually grateful that people don't say anything because they also don't way anything if I gain it back - which I am not going to do this time.

CONGRATULATIONS to you.