going from 207lbs. to 130lbs. in five months

Options
Im getting married in October and Im very insecure with My weight and How My Body Looks. I really Hope i Can get The weight of by Then. Any advice?? Im 207 right Now.

Replies

• GrandAkela
    GrandAkela Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's best not to CRASH diet! VERY hard on your health... 1-2 pounds a week is the best. At that rate you could lose 40-50 pounds pretty safely. But PLEASE don't do it the wrong way, your future husband would rather have a healthy wife than a sick skinny one, let me tell you!
  • michelle_816
    michelle_816 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    ^^This!!! And I bet if you lose 40-50 lbs by that time safely, you will like how you look. How tall are you?
  • 1987RFS
    1987RFS Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water. this is a pretty ambitious goal, so if you don't make it, it's all good. Just appreciate any body fat you do lose.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    77 pounds in 5 months is probably not going to happen. If it does you will feel horrible on the day of your wedding. You will gain it all back plus some after your wedding.

Your future husband obviously loves you the way you are. Starving yourself for 5 months is going to cause problems with your body and your relationship. A better idea is to eat a bit healthier, get some exercise in, and see what you can reasonably do in that time frame.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    It would be an unreasonable expectation to get anywhere near 130 in 5 months. Even if you start with losing at 2 lbs per week, you will not be able to sustain that rate of loss as you continue to lose.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Every time I've had a "set in stone" goal weight/date before a big trip or event I have failed. This last time I made a goal it was to be fit enough to enjoy a family trip with a "wishful" weight. I was only two pounds from that weight when the plane left the ground and I hit that weight a week after I got back. I think the pressure always helped me fail. Losing 77 pounds in five months will be incredibly hard--more than 10 pounds a month--what is your true goal, to be 130 pounds or to be healthier/fitter for your wedding regardless of what the scale says?
  • niki120808
    niki120808 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been on changing since last Thursday. In the past week I have cut out all sodas, including diet, and eating smaller meals and snacks throught out the day. At least 4-6 in all. I have not had any sweets and cut out carbs by over 1/2 of what I use to eat. Only bad thing is I still eat the white rice. Only a 1/2 cup a day. So far I have lost over 10 lbs. Most of my changes has been mental.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    niki120808 wrote: »
    I have been on changing since last Thursday. In the past week I have cut out all sodas, including diet, and eating smaller meals and snacks throught out the day. At least 4-6 in all. I have not had any sweets and cut out carbs by over 1/2 of what I use to eat. Only bad thing is I still eat the white rice. Only a 1/2 cup a day. So far I have lost over 10 lbs. Most of my changes has been mental.

It's your first week. That's a great loss, don't get me wrong, but that does NOT mean that the OP can lose at this rate for 5 months straight, and even that would leave her 27 lbs short of goal.

In the first few weeks, weight loss is exaggerated due to a loss of water and glycogen stores. For most, that rate is not sustainable, and not healthy. It's better to lose at a reasonable rate and minimize muscle loss.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It is indeed an ambitious goal, but certainly not impossible, just very difficult to do. I would highly recommend that you focus on the body you want more than the scale number. Having said that I would recommend that you do some strength training and so even if you don't hit that 130, your body will look closer to what you're probably imagining in your. Also, don't crash diet as another previous dieter mentioned. You will be tempted because of amount of weight and in the time you want, but in the end you will regret it because it won't be something you can maintain for much longer after the wedding. Trying to fine tune your body as a calorie burning machine, again by building some new muscle, but also by eating the proper food. If you have 4-5 small meals a day, going no more than 4 hours per small meal, you'll help with that. I'd also have you look into either carb-cyling (no, no carb dieting), and eating your meals each day in an upside down pyramid when it comes to calories; having higher calorie and higher carb meals in the mornings and lowering throughout the day. If you're a runner, running burns a lot of calories. Drink plenty of fluids and get plenty of sleep. At the end of the day, every body is different and you'll fine tune things until you find something that works for your. Also remember the smaller you get the harder it will be to drop weight, and the more likely you are to see plateaus. Try to shake up your physical activity as well as your daily caloric intake as an attempt to avoid homeostasis. GL and congrats!
  • GrandAkela
    GrandAkela Posts: 28 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    AmerTunsi wrote: »
    ...At the end of the day, every body is different and you'll fine tune things until you find something that works for your. Also remember the smaller you get the harder it will be to drop weight, and the more likely you are to see plateaus. Try to shake up your physical activity as well as your daily caloric intake as an attempt to avoid homeostasis. GL and congrats!

Well said!
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    It is indeed an ambitious goal, but certainly not impossible, just very difficult to do. I would highly recommend that you focus on the body you want more than the scale number. Having said that I would recommend that you do some strength training and so even if you don't hit that 130, your body will look closer to what you're probably imagining in your. Also, don't crash diet as another previous dieter mentioned. You will be tempted because of amount of weight and in the time you want, but in the end you will regret it because it won't be something you can maintain for much longer after the wedding. Trying to fine tune your body as a calorie burning machine, again by building some new muscle, but also by eating the proper food. If you have 4-5 small meals a day, going no more than 4 hours per small meal, you'll help with that. I'd also have you look into either carb-cyling (no, no carb dieting), and eating your meals each day in an upside down pyramid when it comes to calories; having higher calorie and higher carb meals in the mornings and lowering throughout the day. If you're a runner, running burns a lot of calories. Drink plenty of fluids and get plenty of sleep. At the end of the day, every body is different and you'll fine tune things until you find something that works for your. Also remember the smaller you get the harder it will be to drop weight, and the more likely you are to see plateaus. Try to shake up your physical activity as well as your daily caloric intake as an attempt to avoid homeostasis. GL and congrats!

I don't understand how you can say it's doable in one sentence, and to not crash diet in the next. This would require a 16 pound loss per month, EVERY month. 4 pounds a week. There is no way to sustain a 4 lb loss as her weight drops! That would require a 2000 calorie daily deficit!
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My advice is not to set a number goal, especially such a high one. It'll just lead to disappointment.
    Aim to eat healthier, get some exercise and slowly lose that unwanted fat along the way.
    I started at 180lbs and I lost 36lbs in 5 months, which is probably more realistic and healthy. And I felt great, even though it wasn't my ultimate goal. :)
    Even if you're not at 130 by your wedding date (congrats, by the way!) you'll definitely feel a lot better at 160 or 150 than if you didn't do anything at all!
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Caitoriri wrote: »
    My advice is not to set a number goal, especially such a high one. It'll just lead to disappointment.
    Aim to eat healthier, get some exercise and slowly lose that unwanted fat along the way.
    I started at 180lbs and I lost 36lbs in 5 months, which is probably more realistic and healthy. And I felt great, even though it wasn't my ultimate goal. :)
    Even if you're not at 130 by your wedding date (congrats, by the way!) you'll definitely feel a lot better at 160 or 150 than if you didn't do anything at all!

This.

And this:

Buy a food scale, weigh and log everything.

Do cardio if you want, and if you do, only eat back 50% of your calories. Lift weights and hit your protein goal to help maintain muscle mass while losing.

Cheat meals that take you over maintenance will sabotage your efforts. Log the cheat meals too (falls under the 'log everything' rule).

Eat anything you want in moderation, keeping in mind that your diet will be easier to stick with if you chose foods that make it easier to stay under your calories without feeling hungry.

Also it would be a good idea to read some of the stickies at the top of the various forums such as:
    Calorie Counting 101
    Logging Accuracy, Consistency, & You're Probably Eating More Than You Think
    A Guide To Get You Started on Your Path To Sexy Pants

Learn to make lifelong changes that you can live with, so you don't just finish your diet, and go right back up again. If you crash diet, you are going to be miserable, hangry, and will lose a lot of muscle mass in the process. Just start, do it right, and see how far you can get. I guarantee that even if you only lose 37 pounds by your wedding, you will feel much better overall.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »

This.

And this:

Do cardio if you want, and if you do, only eat back 50% of your calories. Lift weights and hit your protein goal to help maintain muscle mass while losing.

Cheat meals that take you over maintenance will sabotage your efforts. Log the cheat meals too (falls under the 'log everything' rule).

Eat anything you want in moderation, keeping in mind that your diet will be easier to stick with if you chose foods that make it easier to stay under your calories without feeling hungry.

Also it would be a good idea to read some of the stickies at the top of the various forums such as:
    Calorie Counting 101

Learn to make lifelong changes that you can live with, so you don't just finish your diet, and go right back up again. If you crash diet, you are going to be miserable, hangry, and will lose a lot of muscle mass in the process. Just start, do it right, and see how far you can get. I guarantee that even if you only lose 37 pounds by your wedding, you will feel much better overall.

You're advice is based on the assumption she doesn't have a HRM. That should be clarified.

Most people don't use HRM accurately anyway. They only work for steady state cardio, and need to be turned on immediately before, and shut off immediately after. They also should be turned off and restarted if you are switching activities such as moving from running to rowing. I personally only use my HRM to make sure I keep my heart rate around where I want it during my workouts, and use this online calculator to verify my burns for each activity.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    She would need a 1750 calorie deficit every single day for the next 5 months.
  • niki120808
    niki120808 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Alot of assumptions are being made that are kind of discouraging. Only thing I suggest to baby_girl1991 is make changes that you feel you can stick with even after the wedding. Good luck and congrats!
  • wmeyerbill455
    wmeyerbill455 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with the folks above. I work with a dietician and a 10% loss of body weight over five months is considered average or what is considered reasonable and achievable for the vast majority of people. It amounts to about 1lb to 1.5 lbs a week. My start weight was 234 on January 15th. I didn't start actively exercising and dieting until February 15th when I weighed 228, the date today is April 29 so it's been approximately 9 weeks since I got going. My morning weight is normally 205 and my evening weight is around 210 which is normal as you fluctuate through out the day. So, let's say I avg 208, that means that in 9 weeks I have lost 20lbs which is a little better than 1.5 lbs a week not bad but I also exercise 6 days a week doing a combination of HIT and Strength Training for 30 to 45 minutes then count calories the rest of the day. My dietician is plugged into my fitness pal diary and sees everything I eat and I meet with her once a week for a progress report, so I have a lot of support pushing me along. My physician is also plugged into my dietician to make sure I don't over do it and then of course there are all my fitness pal friends and my trainer too at my local gym. My weight loss goal is to reach 190 in 5 months which should be achievable. I wish you the best in pursuing your goal but do not get discouraged if you don't get there by your wedding, your husband wants you to be healthy and you will be if you think of weight loss/control as a part of a healty lifestyle you always do. Start now and keep at it until your old an gray and on your wedding day you will be the most beautiful bride your husband could ever have hoped for!
  • blankiefinder
    Options

This.

And this:

Calorie Counting 101

You're advice is based on the assumption she doesn't have a HRM. That should be clarified.

Most people don't use HRM accurately anyway. They only work for steady state cardio, and need to be turned on immediately before, and shut off immediately after. They also should be turned off and restarted if you are switching activities such as moving from running to rowing. I personally only use my HRM to make sure I keep my heart rate around where I want it during my workouts, and use this online calculator to verify my burns for each activity.

I would assume most people turn it on when they start exercise and turn it off after. But if you're talking about the "exact moment" exercise starts or stops it makes no difference. Because of EPOC(Exercise Post Oxygen Consumption). We have tested this.

I don't see how turning it off and turn it on when switching exercise makes a difference. It's the same person with the same HR. Okay i think what you're saying is about it averaging out the HR per exercise. This would be true, but I do believe it doesn't makes much of a difference.

Even if our HRM is off by a lot like 250 calories, our weight loss will be limited to what is expect and we will adjust accordingly.

I turn it on when I start and turn it off when I am done, never really had a problem.

This is way off topic considering the OP has never mentioned HRM's or even exercising. It would probably be better to discuss this in a separate topic where you will get a lot more answers and debate.
    I agree with the folks above. I work with a dietician and a 10% loss of body weight over five months is considered average or what is considered reasonable and achievable for the vast majority of people. It amounts to about 1lb to 1.5 lbs a week. My start weight was 234 on January 15th. I didn't start actively exercising and dieting until February 15th when I weighed 228, the date today is April 29 so it's been approximately 9 weeks since I got going. My morning weight is normally 205 and my evening weight is around 210 which is normal as you fluctuate through out the day. So, let's say I avg 208, that means that in 9 weeks I have lost 20lbs which is a little better than 1.5 lbs a week not bad but I also exercise 6 days a week doing a combination of HIT and Strength Training for 30 to 45 minutes then count calories the rest of the day. My dietician is plugged into my fitness pal diary and sees everything I eat and I meet with her once a week for a progress report, so I have a lot of support pushing me along. My physician is also plugged into my dietician to make sure I don't over do it and then of course there are all my fitness pal friends and my trainer too at my local gym. My weight loss goal is to reach 190 in 5 months which should be achievable. I wish you the best in pursuing your goal but do not get discouraged if you don't get there by your wedding, your husband wants you to be healthy and you will be if you think of weight loss/control as a part of a healty lifestyle you always do. Start now and keep at it until your old an gray and on your wedding day you will be the most beautiful bride your husband could ever have hoped for!

Great advice, and very similar to the path I took. I lost 1.5 lbs per week for the first 5 months and then slowed it down to 1 lb and then .5 pounds until I hit maintenance at around the 7 month mark. I worked out from day 1 though, 6 days per week, with a mix of strength training and cardio.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options

I don't understand how you can say it's doable in one sentence, and to not crash diet in the next. This would require a 16 pound loss per month, EVERY month. 4 pounds a week. There is no way to sustain a 4 lb loss as her weight drops! That would require a 2000 calorie daily deficit!

Because there are people who have done it without crash dieting. Diet is one part of the equation that helps you reduce calories. The other part is how much energy output. As I said, it is difficult but not impossible. I have seen it done many times in the gym and with my SO who is an M.D. as well as a bodybuilder. If you have the time to put into it, the stamina, and the desire then 4lbs a week is possible. My highest drop in a single week was a little over 12 lbs, granted I had a lot to drop ... but regardless, that was still considered a very high drop if you look at the daily average of deficit required. I made that drop while eating nearly 1800 calories a day, but I also was in the gym 6 days a week, and burning 1000's of calories. I was not on a crash diet, I was supervised by a doctor, and it was all perfectly healthy. As I mentioned every single body is different, but a 4lb a week drop with proper nutrition and physical activity can be done, and be done in a healthy way. This 2lb a week number is arbitrary, and is something that people have been told is the healthy rate of loss because it is the most realistic so people don't feel like there is something seriously wrong if they aren't losing more than that a week - it is a guideline. Similar to the 8 glasses a day of water; this number was determined by the average persons weight at the time this recommendation was created which was 150lbs. The truth is that most people should actually drink more than this, especially for those who want to lose weight. Above that 8 glasses of water people losing weight should drink at least another glass for every 10lbs of weight they would like to lose. I don't suggest these things without a lot of person experience but also professional one as well. Because my SO is an M.D. (surgery), and I'm a medical student, and we both have previously trained others, and he is currently a BB ... we are constantly discussing and evaluating the research for best practices.
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You can do this! All you'll need is a bone saw to remove a limb or two....

No, really, you have a great reason to get started and make a LIFE CHANGE from here forward. Don't worry about trying to achieve a certain weight by the big date. Instead start working on better health and fitness and the changes will happen in a good time.