weight loss surgery.

Options
is anyone else preparing and getting ready for weight loss surgery?

Replies

• jprater774
    jprater774 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am. I will be having it this fall. I have to lose 15lbs to have it and get my A1c under better control. So far I've lost 2 lbs. When is your surgery?
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm not, but I believe there are groups fully devoted to weight loss surgery on here that you can request to join that will probably be easier to target what you are looking for :)

Here is one: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

• beckhasaoldwallet
    beckhasaoldwallet Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    jprater774 wrote: »
    I am. I will be having it this fall. I have to lose 15lbs to have it and get my A1c under better control. So far I've lost 2 lbs. When is your surgery?

Thanks. And congrats. . . I don't have a date yet I just got was my bariatric surgeon for the first time 4 weeks ago I'm in the process of getting all my bloodwork done and chest x ray and I meet with the nutritionist on this 6th. He didn't really give me any weight loss goal I think it's because I haven't brought any of my test back yet. I've lost 4 pounds though, I'm trying to keep my calorie intake at least under 2000 ...... I'm trying my best but its rough.

• beckhasaoldwallet
    Options
    hncary wrote: »
    I'm not, but I believe there are groups fully devoted to weight loss surgery on here that you can request to join that will probably be easier to target what you are looking for :)

Here is one: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

thank you so much for the help. Thanks

• 1wildcat56
    1wildcat56 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have to see my surgeon and set the day...hopefully the end of May.
  • beckhasaoldwallet
    Options
    1wildcat56 wrote: »
    I have to see my surgeon and set the day...hopefully the end of May.

That's good. Have you been losing weight? My doc never gives me goals. I'm just losing some on my own.
  • tinagrant321
    tinagrant321 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am scheduled for the RNY on July 28. I am super excited
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It freaks me out every time I read about WLS. Is this really the best and only option for so many? What does it mean to have "tried everything"?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hi, guys! I had my surgery a year ago and I am down a total of 85 pounds. The regaining my mobility, the elimination of all meds, I can't tell you; it's been a life-changer. Best of success to you all.

Hi, @kommodevaran . Maybe my example will help you understand. I am an intelligent and accomplished woman. I'm in my mid-fifties, I was morbidly obese, I am highly conservative when it comes to my health and the only "diet" I had ever gone on was Weight Watchers. I had been well educated on nutrition, attending all sessions offered by my health authority, and I ate well. I've never yo-yo dieted. I'd never gone on a VLCD diet. I don't binge. I hadn't had a sugar soda in decades, and I've never eaten poutine. Over the years I consistently gained ten pounds a year, which works out to an excess of 100 calories a day. I was a type 2 diabetic with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I was at the point where I could no longer control my blood sugar with pills and diet alone. I had plantar's fasciitis. Walking more than twenty minutes was excruciatingly painful. I dreaded (and it turns out my children dreaded) heading in to retirement being increasingly disabled and with the reduced mobility, finding it ever harder to control my weight.

Weight loss surgery doesn't have to be the only option for a person to consider it. For me, the benefits far outweighed the risks. My particular surgery by the way, is known to reverse the symptoms of type 2 diabetes, which it did in my case. The reversal cannot be explained by the weight loss alone.

When I started I was pretty beaten down that I would not be able to maintain a weight loss. I'm much more confident today. The surgery might not be the only way, but it surely gave me a mighty boost.

My mobility is regained, and I am doing activities I never dreamed were possible a scant two years ago.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hi, guys! I had my surgery a year ago and I am down a total of 85 pounds. The regaining my mobility, the elimination of all meds, I can't tell you; it's been a life-changer. Best of success to you all.

Hi, @kommodevaran . Maybe my example will help you understand. I am an intelligent and accomplished woman. I'm in my mid-fifties, I was morbidly obese, I am highly conservative when it comes to my health and the only "diet" I had ever gone on was Weight Watchers. I had been well educated on nutrition, attending all sessions offered by my health authority, and I ate well. I've never yo-yo dieted. I'd never gone on a VLCD diet. I don't binge. I hadn't had a sugar soda in decades, and I've never eaten poutine. Over the years I consistently gained ten pounds a year, which works out to an excess of 100 calories a day. I was a type 2 diabetic with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I was at the point where I could no longer control my blood sugar with pills and diet alone. I had plantar's fasciitis. Walking more than twenty minutes was excruciatingly painful. I dreaded (and it turns out my children dreaded) heading in to retirement being increasingly disabled and with the reduced mobility, finding it ever harder to control my weight.

Weight loss surgery doesn't have to be the only option for a person to consider it. For me, the benefits far outweighed the risks. My particular surgery by the way, is known to reverse the symptoms of type 2 diabetes, which it did in my case. The reversal cannot be explained by the weight loss alone.

When I started I was pretty beaten down that I would not be able to maintain a weight loss. I'm much more confident today. The surgery might not be the only way, but it surely gave me a mighty boost.

My mobility is regained, and I am doing activities I never dreamed were possible a scant two years ago.

I am happy to hear that it helped you, and I have been following you here on the forum for some time, I know you are an intelligent lady.

I would like to know more about how this thing works. How does it help you? You have to eat less to lose weight, the same laws apply with or without surgery. Is it anything else the operation does to the body, besides making it physically impossible to eat too much?