Favorite running/jogging shoes?!

Options
Looking at getting new running shoes and wondering what some of your favorites are? I'm currently wearing Nikes that are a few years old so not sure of the name. Also 7cjoge8f7kg0.jpg
I'm fairly new to running.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it.. I bought under armor and wore them once and they are sitting in my closet.

I had to get fitted for a pair and I got inserts. I can;t buy straight off the shelf..
  • usernameenvy
    usernameenvy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Im looking into running shoes, seems i need something wide with a high arch, looks like its going to get costly!
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Brooks Adrenaline 15's.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I have a high arch and wider foot. Was diagnosed as heel strider (learning to strike more to the ball of the foot now). My shoe is Asics Gel Kayano 21 -- love the fit.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have the Asics Gel Noosa Tri even though I have no intention of ever doing a triathlon. Tried on quite a few and liked these the best. I'm prone to shin splints, but, now I always start with an uphill warmup. Seems to help.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I started by picking out my own shoes, some New Balance 680 v2's that I chose simply because I thought they felt good. Ran my first 250 miles in those with no trouble. I bought a second pair the exact same model to rotate with and had nothing but trouble. They contributed (I believe) to an injury (also partly caused by overtraining).

So after I healed up I went to a running store and was fit to a pair of shoes. They inspected the wear on my old shoes and watched me walk and run around to inspect my gait. They had me run around the store in 6 different shoes they recommended to see which one I preferred the most. I went with Brooks Glycerin 12's, and love the heck out of them!

If you get serious about running, the best decision you will make is to go to a running store and get set up with a pair of shoes.
  • AmeliaCarranza
    AmeliaCarranza Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have Merrell Pace Glove 2. I have the 1 also. The 2 has more arch support which I didnt think I need but it feels better. It is considered a barefoot shoe, which you have to slowly transition to if you're not accustomed to them. I also enjoy running in vibrams but they are not good for running in the summer on pavement (HOT!)
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I wear the Nike Air Pegasus 28 Trail women's. They are my absolute favorite. I bought them years ago and got an extra pair as a backup just in case they wore out too soon, but I'm still wearing the first pair. I use them for walking, running and hiking.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Brooks Addiction. Great if you over-pronate. Cured my shin splints.
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    To those who are still wearing the same shoes after a couple of years... Just a suggestion, and this comes directly from my Physical Therapist: consider getting new shoes at least every year, if not more frequently. When we work out a lot, we wear out the stability of the shoe and can find ourselves injured. I know how expensive they are, but so is treating injuries, right?
  • LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like the Asics Gel as well. (I have large feet - can't fit into a Nike). Hubby likes New Balance. We're beginner runners in terms of speed/distance. Veteran runners in terms of time spent running. We buy the cheaper ($75 retail) models but replace them about every six months or when our calves/knees start getting achy.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Nike free is my favorite. But the newer models are different than the ones you have and I don't like them as much. If you liked the free, you may like under armour speedform Apollo vent. I love them.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Mizuno Wave Fortis for me.
    I highly recommend getting properly fitted and a proper running store.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Adidas Glide 7. Would definitely recommend you going to a running store and trying on different pairs though and don't let the price be the deciding factor.
  • mattlynch2015
    mattlynch2015 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend that you go to a running shop and get fitted, yes they will be expensive but the difference is well worth it, I used to wear of the shelf nikes, which really were only good for aerobics at the gym, I now where Brooks Ghost 6, and this has changed the way I run, no more bad shins or calves just lots of enjoyable miles
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The best shoes are the ones that are right for you, not the ones that are right for me, or anyone else making recommendations.

That might mean a cushioned, it might mean neutral, it might mean motion control. It may be that either minimalist or low-drop shoes are right. It also depends on what type of terrain you run on. My road shoes are low-drop motion control, my trail shoes are very low drop neutral.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Seconding/thirding/fourthing the suggestion to get fitted at a running store. It will be more pricey than buying last year's model on clearance online, but a) you'll get something that works well for you and b) running store people are the best.

That being said, I'm a Saucony fan. I ran in Omnis for years, and then switched to Kinvaras after taking some time off to recover from injury many years ago. If you're a Nike fan, you may want to look into the Lunar series, which I've heard good things about & seen loads of people wearing at races, or the Free 4.0 or 5.0.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Tried Nikes (neutral) but got bad shin splints. I now use Brooks Adrenaline. Go to a running store and have your gait analyzed. They can tell you what kind you need. You can buy them there or go someplace else with your new knowledge. (New runner here and good shoes make a huge difference!)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Salomon Women's XT Wings 3 W Trail Running Shoe. I have bad arthritis in my right foot and these are great support and compression. Best shoes I have ever worn! I am a convert to Salomon and they are so lightweight too. (also available in men's)
    c6ce55c7-a66c-44a9-a023-ca2913fa3fab_zpsfyznfzel.jpg
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Since you're new to running your best bet is to go to a specialty running store and get fitted. Don't buy shoes off the shelf without any assistance, that leads to injury. Get fitted and get the best shoe for you.