Not Hungry but not enough calories

Options
FrancineDesign
FrancineDesign Posts: 67 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Im on a low calorie "diet" not really a diet but that's what im eating and ive only eatten half my calories for today and im not hungry and had three meals today.

For breakfast i have egg and sausages with mushrooms.

Lunch was a large homemade greek salad

and for dinner i had a burger on wholegrain bun with baked sweet potato fries.

This all totalled up to 611 calories.
i log very accurately and weigh my food and scan packets.

Should i not worry if im not hungry and i was full when i finished eating or will i damage my health if i don't meet my calorie goal a few days a week?

Replies

• DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    All that was only 611 calories? You must be eating smaller portions than me!

I think your hunger will return the next day, or the day after that, then you might feel hungry for a couple of days even you hit your set limit. Other than that, maybe your metabolism is a bit slow right now.

If it carries on for a few days and you feel a bit worried, add more exercise each day. That can get your hunger back to normal quite rapidly.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    1) Unless you open your diary, no one can truly answer your questions. Your list of foods does not seem to me like only 600 calories, but it depends also on portion size. I am assuming we are talking toddler servings, and no saucesm oils etc or it really does not add up.
    2) If you just one day eat too little, or too much, it will not really make a huge difference. If you end up eating very little everyday, then you are in trouble.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    for that to be 611 calories then either your portions are miniscule, or the main ingredient on each food product is "cardboard"...

Something isn't right
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with the others. There's definitely weighing, logging issues afoot here...

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I would have guessed triple that calorie count... there's no way you're using a food scale.
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    wake up and smell the coffee your kidding yourself
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Your burger alone should have been 500-600 calories. Make sure to check serving sizes on your labels, and weigh or measure accurately. Remember sometimes entries on MFP are incorrect, so for items you're not sure about try looking at a few similar entries to get ballpark range for that food. If the one you used is way off, be very suspicious.
    Did you use dressing on your salad? Usually that is high calorie item. Also, sausage can have deceptively high calories as well. Good luck, I hope you find where that went wrong!
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Do you use scale to weight your food, is it correct, do you add all of the ingradients? I'm pretty sure you're underestimating what you actually eat... You would be starving with 600 calories a day!
  • Monikaj4
    Monikaj4 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Double check to see if u added the portions correctly
  • FrancineDesign
    Options
    Hi everyone im not logging incorrectly ive opened my diary have u look, i had small bit of pudding since then. my sausage was tofu, my burger bun was very small and no dressings or sauces. I use a food scale for everything.
  • FrancineDesign
    Options
    im 100% I'm not incorrectly logging as 50% is scaned in like the cheese, tomatos, sausages, sauce and my desert. I only eat enough that i think its a good amount of calories. So i scan the food first and have an amount that i think is not to high calorie and usually i get up to 1000 cal but today only 700 or something and not hungry so wondered why.
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ok, I checked the diary. If you're sure everything is accurate then ok. But the entry for the whole wheat bun seems wrong. Only 46 calories for a bun? If you've only eaten 600-700 calories for a day or two, it's fine ( as long as you're not ready to eat your own hand off!). This shouldn't cause any damage, and as long as you don't keep that up for weeks you should be ok. To round out your diet a bit, using that entry as an example, try adding a dressing to your salad, 2 eggs in the morning instead of one, just simple changes can easily add or subtract calories from your diet as needed. Another option is to save those extra calories you cut for a special splurge like pizza or cookies; whatever floats your boat!
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority of the other posters. There is no way in the world that what you ate added up to under 700 cals. You need to check how you are entering and logging. If there was any feta and olives in the Greek Salad plus egg and tofu and burger and bun then you are way over the stated amount plus all the extras...
  • MonsoonStorm
    edited April 2015
    Options
    well what you were saying about the burger and sausages was rather misleading... what you are essentially eating is a load of veggies and salad with a hint of dairy/meat.

43g of mince? That is a pitiful amount, there is no way a burger weighs 2/3 of those little sausages you had for breakfast... You could put meat spread on a bun and still end up with more than 43g

You are also using generic weights/quantities (1 cup, 1 bun, 1 egg) Your sausages, you have down as two - but two sausages according to their site is 125g, so I'm guessing you had one and simply halved it rather than weighed it.

Other than that, the amounts you are eating are miniscule... one sausage, one egg, a few mushrooms...

how are you cooking these things by the way? If you fry then you need to log the oil too.

Have you noticed that on the days when you appear to restrict your meals your snacking goes waaaaaaay up? Mango smoothie for breakfast -> 629 kcals worth of "snacks". If you are more of a grazer, that's fine, but if you are restricting breakfast and then feeling hungry enough to want to keep snacking, then perhaps more substantial meals would help.

A lot of your entries are identical too... 0.7oz of shredded chicken (most of your other weights are in grams) which, again, makes it appear that there are a lot of estimates...
  • FrancineDesign
    Options
    well what you were saying about the burger and sausages was rather misleading... what you are essentially eating is a load of veggies and salad with a hint of dairy/meat.

43g of mince? That is a pitiful amount, there is no way a burger weighs 2/3 of those little sausages you had for breakfast... You could put meat spread on a bun and still end up with more than 43g

You are also using generic weights/quantities (1 cup, 1 bun, 1 egg) Your sausages, you have down as two - but two sausages according to their site is 125g, so I'm guessing you had one and simply halved it rather than weighed it.

Other than that, the amounts you are eating are miniscule... one sausage, one egg, a few mushrooms...

how are you cooking these things by the way? If you fry then you need to log the oil too.

Have you noticed that on the days when you appear to restrict your meals your snacking goes waaaaaaay up? Mango smoothie for breakfast -> 629 kcals worth of "snacks". If you are more of a grazer, that's fine, but if you are restricting breakfast and then feeling hungry enough to want to keep snacking, then perhaps more substantial meals would help.

A lot of your entries are identical too... 0.7oz of shredded chicken (most of your other weights are in grams) which, again, makes it appear that there are a lot of estimates...

• FrancineDesign
    Options
    opps forgot to write my reply.

In regards to all your replies

•The bun maybe wrong, thanks ill look into that
    •The bun i had was like a slider so i shaped the mince to fit in the bun. It was tiny haha
    • I weigh in grams because that is what is used in nz and i often have the same amounts most days. So i grab some chicken in the amount id like to eat then i weigh it and log it.
    •some cases like lettuce and cumcumber etc i overestimate because i know they dont have many calories and i dont weigh stuff like that, but i did weigh the mushrooms.
    • when i scanned the sausages package the serving size was 2 but i had one so yes i did half it by putting 0.5 in.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Two things to fix:
    You are eating like a mouse and not keeping an accurate food diary.
  • MonsoonStorm
    Options
    Grams are fine, it was just that the chicken was weighed in oz that made me think it wasn't being weighed properly.

Ok, well looking at this logically, according to your ticker you have 31kg to lose, so I'm guessing you weren't eating like this before. So this shift to eating tiny amounts is you being on a 'diet'. Eating that much isn't really sustainable long term. Every so often a day here or there if you are sick or whatever won't be an issue... but if you are purposefully restricting everything to tiny quantities, then at some point you're going to end up so hungry and miserable that it will all come crashing down.

Looking at your other days, you seem to be consistently under 1200 and are still trying to exercise. You are going to run yourself into the ground, I'm amazed you have the energy to even try to work out.

Look at it this way. You are doing some exercise which is awesome! Problem is, you aren't getting enough nutrition to sustain that, so the effort you put in to it will be much less because you will be tired and lethargic. If you hit your daily goal, then you will be able to put so much more effort into your exercise, making you fitter and stronger and making everything easier!

Tighten up your logging and *try* to get as close to your daily goal as you can. I know it can be tempting to think "well if I ate x today then I'd lose 2lbs by the end of the week.... so if I eat even less I'll lose even more!" but that's what end up leading to yo-yo'ing because at some point you just can't keep it up.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Please reconsider and eat all your calories most days.
    If you are truly eating that little, you will be losing muscle-not fat!
    The low calorie diet is not sustainable.
    You are harming yourself.

PS-how did you eat before you started your VLCD? Were you not hungry then?
  • FrancineDesign
    Options
    Hi guys! I was much more hungrier the next few days. I will try to meet my calorie goal. monsoonstorm was right i was thinking if i eat less I'll lose more but i need to up my exercise so i need more energy. Atm I've stopped losing weight and idk why. Some help with that would be appreciated. I've posted another thread.