Calling other FAT DADs. Introducing myself

Oldbitcollector
Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
edited April 2015 in Introduce Yourself
I never really introduced myself, I'll I'm going to repost a message that got buried in a thread and make the introduction formal. (and calling any other FAT DADs to Friend me. We can do this!)

I'm Jeff, a computer technician by trade... Been doing this for 25 years and as you might expect it's a LOT OF SITTING in front of other people's computers. Mostly brain activity, not a very physically demanding job.

Over the period of 2002 -- 2014, I went steadily from overweight to seriously obese.
I was 200lbs (M/6'4") when I married back in 1990, and very slim, but not very muscular.

In 2014, I started walking the dog in the evening with my spouse and noticed that I was out of breath just going up a modest hill that leads to the next block. Even climbing the stairs was noticeably leaving me breathing hard. Not good. I also noticed that my concentration was lacking, and with 3 teenagers in the house, my stress management was poor.

October 2014, I simply felt I couldn't ignore this any longer and joined the local gym/sports therapy center for $14 bucks for the remainder of the year. For the first two months, I avoided the scale completely, afraid of having to face just how bad I was. My first day "walking" on the treadmill had me huffing and puffing to complete 1 mile in 30 minutes. Dear God. One regular remarked that she was afraid I was going to have a heart attack next to her.

But.. I kept at it... First month, 1 day a week. Second month, 2 days a week, By December I was in the gym three days a week, Treadmill, exercise bike, and starting to work with some of the machines. It became a challenge to see how fast I could complete a walking mile... 22 minutes, 20 minutes, 17 minutes..

Then disaster...

I experienced a retinal tear on Christmas day. The surgery was a success, but recovery time is at least a month of "doing nothing". -- Go home the surgeon said, do nothing, and watch TV and we'll see how you are in a month.

I'd already gone from my couch potato identity (which would have loved this) to being active in the gym for at least 4-5 hours a week. (I was still hiding from the scales at this point.)

I went crazy! Cabin FEVER! Early February, I took to begging the surgeon and was permitted to start with very light gym workouts and work my way back up... slowly...

By the end of February I was back up to 3, two hour trips to the gym, and finally decided to face the scale.
311 pounds. Damn.. and I'd been busting my butt. The therapy staff said they had been paying attention to my work and were pretty sure I'd probably already lost at least 10 pounds.

I renewed my determination to conquer the scale, but it wasn't moving... Enter MFP.
The first week I lost 2lbs! As of this writing I'm on day 62 65 with 24lbs 30lbs lost!

I'm continuing to get in at least 3 days a week at the gym, with a little less walking (started getting serious knee pain from doing 2-3 miles at a time) and much more weight lifting, barbells, dumbbells, various machines. I obtained a broken exercise bike (fixed it!) and a ski machine for the weekends for at home.

I've tripled what I can manage all the way around since October. Even started Bench Press last month and have moved from 65lbs to 125lbs presses last week. I feel better and friends are starting to notice that I'm doing something. I've already been asked for my secret. :) For for first time in years, I NEED A BELT to keep my pants up. :)

I found a picture of myself last week from before I started working out.
Dear Lord! I look like I was closer to 340+ pounds. (I apologized repeatedly to my spouse.) The pic is included in my profile.

Hope this encourages someone else here. I've still got a long way to go, but I'm loving it! Friend me up!

Replies

• ijaliv
    ijaliv Posts: 26 Member
    Oh my dear friend I feel your pain. Shoulder surgery 3 months ago, the doctor said "do not move that should at all for 6!!! Weeks. Putting on my pants was impossible and I drifter in to the cabin fever stage. Now I am fighting the 350lbs I am at now
  • davefh0_0
    davefh0_0 Posts: 42 Member
    I'm a big dad trying to get it done also, I have a 100lb goal and I've lost 21.6 so far. Add me if you would like, I find building the support network to be very beneficial.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Sitting down was also my downfall, although it happened over a very long period. (well that and beer, and a lack of exerise). I've lost a bit, bit still some to go for I am where I want to be. The website has been really useful and I can't recommend it enough.

Good luck, and I'll send over a FR.
  • smithlp09
    smithlp09 Posts: 4 Member
    I'm a dad who's always been fat. I've been fat since I was a little boy. Having a kid and another on the way has pushed me to make lifestyle changes since I don't want to be dead before my daughter gets married. I weigh 285 pushing for 205
  • Oldbitcollector
    I updated my goal weight last night..

I'd originally thought that 70lbs would be a good {but barely obtainable} goal, and that I'd re-evaluate then. Now that I've crossed the 30lb mark, 100lbs doesn't seem that daunting any more. It'll put me in the "just-slightly" over weight category which would be 210 here.

I'm in for the full game...
  • Oldbitcollector
    Before Picture....

hyr4t33kunro.jpg

Today...

esgkvk6jyn0d.jpg

As of today.. (Since October) I've lost 61lbs. (Tracked 51 with MFP)
    I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life, and feel like someone has given me a new body.

Can't "weight" to see what the next half of my goal brings!

• Oldbitcollector
    As of today, another 7 pounds lost.. Total of 68lbs!

My daughter says I'm no longer the "Fat Dad".

kxd19gsrwh5e.jpg