10 Simple things you can do to facilitate weight loss

124»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I think the advice OP gave in general is fairly good even if he is suffering from the standard "If it worked for me it will work for everyone so let me share my insights with the world" syndrome.

Personally I just tacked on "I found that for me personally...." onto each one of his statements and gave him the benefit of the doubt.
    I linked the source in that last post if you missed it
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/01/what-burns-more-calories-cardio-intervals-or-weight-training/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/421082-weights-vs-cardio-your-guide-to-the-perfect-body/

From the nerd fitness article:
    "If time isn’t a factor for you, and you don’t mind spending more time in the gym on a daily basis, you can burn way more calories doing steady cardio than with just 30 minutes of weight training three days a week."
    That's absolutely true
    But 30 minutes of cardio will burn less calories than 30 minutes of weight lifting

I would like to hear more about this. According to MFP, I only burn about 3 calories a minute when I lift, but my cardio burns range from 8 to 11.
    MFP is amazing for counting calories with foods, but for exercising I've found it to be lacking. Try using Nike+ and see what that gives you for a simple run.

For the most accurate calculation of calories burned the best method is via HRM.

No. HRM don't measure anaerobic exercise calories correctly.

For the most accurate at home calculation of calories burned through aerobic exercise the best method is via HRM.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    1. Get an idea of what free time you'll have and plan what you'll do with that time accordingly
    Make time and plan accordingly
    2. Measure everything
    Weight solids, measure liquids
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Aren't these repeating back the original advice? One can't literally "make time", one can only free up time. And weighing is a form of measurement.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Ooo, I wanna take this test!
    1. Get an idea of what free time you'll have and plan what you'll do with that time accordingly

What?
    2. Measure everything

Nope. I measure nothing.
    3. Eat smaller meals

Nope. I prefer larger meals.
    4. Eat more meals

Nope. I prefer fewer meals.
    5. Eat more fiber

I can't say this has aided me one way or the other with weight loss.

6. Have a friend or family member willing to help you out remind you every so often

Nope. I appreciate my family's understanding, but I don't count on anyone for reminders or help with weight loss.
    7. Lift heavy weights 3-4 times a week

Nope.
    8. Be realistic with your expectations

Yes? Though we all have differing definitions of "realistic".
    9. Develop routines. If you have OCD, use that to your advantage

Nope.
    10. Drink more water, your body confuses hunger and thirst sometimes

People say this, but I've never found it to be true. But maybe because I drink water, almost exclusively, throughout the day?

Looks like I didn't do too well on the "Facilitate Weight Loss" test. Another failure. Sigh.
  • scene4u
    scene4u Posts: 2 Member
    For me weights are king. Cardio is so boring and so overrated. Who has the time to plug away doing hours and hours of cardio. A weight training workout will burn calories during the workout and raise your metabolic rate afterwards.

http://www.regularguyweightloss.com/can-lose-weight-lifting-weights/