Gym Routine

Options
Hey guys! So I'm looking for some advice/ recommendations on "routines" to do at the gym. I've been going to the gym for a couple months now and when I'm there I pretty much just work on the elliptical machine for about 40-45 minutes where I can usually burn 500-600 calories. Anyways, I really want to Starr learning how I can really utilize the other machines at the gym. *I think it would be really cool to learn how to lift!

Replies

• ellasmommy08
    ellasmommy08 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I actually wanted to ask this question then decided to search for answers to find this post. Hope someone responds soon
  • SrClaire
    SrClaire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Over time your body becomes more efficient on the cardio machines so that you have to keep going for longer and longer to get the same calorie burn, so I'd step away from the elliptical machine and look at a weight training programme that will increase your lean mass and metabolism meaning you burn more calories just from sitting on a chair than you did before.

There's the 5 x 5 app for strength training that will teach you how to do compound movements like deadlifts and bench press and get you started,

Or you can pick a training programme off Bodybuilding.com and watch the videos on how to do the exercises.

Or pay a PT to write a programme specific to you and walk you through it checking your form and ability and making changes where necessary.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, lifting is “cool” but what are your health and fitness goals?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Lifting should be everyone's goal. *nod*
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    stronglifts5x5
    ice cream fitness
    ask a trainer at the gym to show you the machines AND free weights

in general if that's a burn from the machine be careful - I manage to only get about 200 calories from 24 minutes at resistance 18/25 on elliptical .. and that's pushing hard with my HR (by HRM) at 150 - 160..
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Lifting for the sake of lifting? No. Does she want strength? Muscle gain? Endurance? To maximize that goal, the way she lifts will matter.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    stronglifts5x5
    ice cream fitness
    ask a trainer at the gym to show you the machines AND free weights

in general if that's a burn from the machine be careful - I manage to only get about 200 calories from 24 minutes at resistance 18/25 on elliptical .. and that's pushing hard with my HR (by HRM) at 150 - 160..

cosign

I would add starting strength, and new rules of lifting to this ….
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Why? Why not swimming or martial arts or running a marathon?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    SrClaire wrote: »
    Over time your body becomes more efficient on the cardio machines so that you have to keep going for longer and longer to get the same calorie burn, so I'd step away from the elliptical machine and look at a weight training programme that will increase your lean mass and metabolism meaning you burn more calories just from sitting on a chair than you did before.

There's the 5 x 5 app for strength training that will teach you how to do compound movements like deadlifts and bench press and get you started,

Or you can pick a training programme off Bodybuilding.com and watch the videos on how to do the exercises.

Or pay a PT to write a programme specific to you and walk you through it checking your form and ability and making changes where necessary.

Bold part is false - the fitter you become the harder you can exercise. Calorie burn is related to the power you produce not some mythical "efficiency".

A well rounded regime would ideally include both cardio and weights and some good suggestions for weight training given in post above.
  • jsnyder320
    jsnyder320 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you have no idea how to use the machines/free weights you need to ask someone. A personal trainer is always a good start. You'll need 1 or 2 sessions to get familiar with how to lift with proper form. That way you do not hurt yourself. After you get familiar with the machiens/free weights you need to ask yourself what you want from this strength, toning, endurance, bulking, etc. Once you decide what your goals are go back to your personal trainer or research it.

Sijomail has it right a well rounded routine has both cardio and weights.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Why? Why not swimming or martial arts or running a marathon?

Lifting complements all of those activities. Like said above a good training program would have a little of both.